Advice from 4xe owners

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Level 2 is a must have IMO. You're basically at 15+ hours for a 0-100% charge. I guess if you work exactly 8 hours and have a short commute, and never do anything after work you're fine, but we often find the Jeep at significantly less than a 100% charge when going overnight on the level 1 charger.
totally get it! Yes my commute is short, about 24 feet from my bed. My trip to take my kids to school/daycare is about 3.5 miles round trip. If I do go to the office it’s 13 miles each way, and a free charger in the parking garage.

All that said, I get a full charge in about 12 hrs from <1% so if I didn’t have the charger at work, and we went back to the office regularly ( still WFH) I’d strongly consider the L2 because I’d never get a full charge to start the day and would be more like 80% unless I came straight home and immediately plugged in. That’s just not my situation at all.

my broader point is, that extra 20% of electric only saves me a small amount worth of gas so it will take a lot of miles to earn back your investment of a L2 charger. When I previously did the math for me at $3.50 per gallon and $.12 per kWh it was about 7,000 miles of running on gas that specifically would have been electric. Not 7k total miles…. I then also calculated for me it would take almost 1400 days of going to the office because I’d only capture about 5 extra miles of electric use per day. At $500 cost after rebates I’m left with 5.5 years of break even. If gas goes up it’s shorter and if it goes down it’s longer. The real payback would likely be a little less because I use my jeep for more than just going to work, but the math didn’t work for me either way. I either use my jeep for 7 total miles a day, or to go a couple hours to the mountains, very little in between
Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
This is true only of level 3 DC super/fast charging and only if the charge controller is rather stupid. Most supercharging charges only to the point where damage would occur at that rate and then slows to a safer rate.

However, it is absolutely 100% not true of the 7.2kW level 2 charging of which the 4xe is capable.
I disagree about the "100% not true" part based on scientific studies over the past decade on lithium cell tech charge/discharge rates vs longevity; MIT and Purdue's mechanical engineers have some good scientific analysis, among others. Granted, 4xe owners should not see a dramatic difference near the end of service life using L1 vs L2 charging, but there is an affect.

All else being equal, the lower charging rate lessens the rate of degradation. Lithium batteries will also degrade over time no matter how carefully used/charged. That said, the 4xe PHEV design shows that Stellantis'/Jeep's engineers did an excellent job to maximize the useful performance/life of the chosen lithium pack; a truly robust PHEV design, IMHO.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
totally get it! Yes my commute is short, about 24 feet from my bed. My trip to take my kids to school/daycare is about 3.5 miles round trip. If I do go to the office it’s 13 miles each way, and a free charger in the parking garage.

All that said, I get a full charge in about 12 hrs from <1% so if I didn’t have the charger at work, and we went back to the office regularly ( still WFH) I’d strongly consider the L2 because I’d never get a full charge to start the day and would be more like 80% unless I came straight home and immediately plugged in. That’s just not my situation at all.

my broader point is, that extra 20% of electric only saves me a small amount worth of gas so it will take a lot of miles to earn back your investment of a L2 charger. When I previously did the math for me at $3.50 per gallon and $.12 per kWh it was about 7,000 miles of running on gas that specifically would have been electric. Not 7k total miles…. I then also calculated for me it would take almost 1400 days of going to the office because I’d only capture about 5 extra miles of electric use per day. At $500 cost after rebates I’m left with 5.5 years of break even. If gas goes up it’s shorter and if it goes down it’s longer. The real payback would likely be a little less because I use my jeep for more than just going to work, but the math didn’t work for me either way. I either use my jeep for 7 total miles a day, or to go a couple hours to the mountains, very little in between
While I understand your point of view, and it works for you, I'm not in it for the break even or payback. I'm in it for the fun and the challenge of driving in electric only mode, if and when I want.

No level 2 charger for you, great.
Level 2 charger for me, great. (Currently at 1,733km -almost 1,100 miles- on one tank of gas.)

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I disagree about the "100% not true" part based on scientific studies over the past decade on lithium cell tech charge/discharge rates vs longevity; MIT and Purdue's mechanical engineers have some good scientific analysis, among others. Granted, 4xe owners should not see a dramatic difference near the end of service life using L1 vs L2 charging, but there is an affect.

All else being equal, the lower charging rate lessens the rate of degradation. Lithium batteries will also degrade over time no matter how carefully used/charged. That said, the 4xe PHEV design shows that Stellantis'/Jeep's engineers did an excellent job to maximize the useful performance/life of the chosen lithium pack; a truly robust PHEV design, IMHO.
Yes, the only way to keep lithium ion batteries from degrading is … not to have them, since they degrade even in storage. The point is that the difference between the 1.8kW L1 and 7.2kW L2 charging is utterly negligible in terms of degradation over time.

I am having a L2 charger installed because I want the freedom of being able to go out twice in one day on all electric. I place a premium on being able to avoid generating tailpipe CO2, so the cost is worth it for me. Your values may differ, and so your choices may differ.

But battery degradation rate differences between L1 and L2 charging is not a real issue that should stop you from using a L2 charger.

Edit: if you have links to papers that demonstrate a non-minuscule difference in degradation rates between L1 and mid-rate L2 charging, I’d be interested to see them! I know research is ongoing into how to do L3 DC “fast charging“ best with the least degradation, but that’s an order of magnitude greater than L2 charging.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
PS - My advice -> get a level 2 charger. See below. I just came home around 16:00 local time with 35% battery life remaining. If I want to go out for dinner, below are my charging options:

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice from 4xe owners 1628540730733

I think I'll go with option 2!

jeepinization

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE
Question, I have a 4XE ordered but with the cloth seats (not a fan of the leather as it can hit 117 in the summer here) but I would love to upgrade a few parts from the leather option. Would any know the part number for the following?

Top Pad Trim Kit Rubicon In Blue Stitching
Center Console Armrest In Blue Stitching

These are the part from the Rubicon in Red Stitching just need it in Blue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice from 4xe owners 6AC121R3AC-2

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice from 4xe owners 41Xt5OPPkjL._AC_

stickling9

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe; 2013 vw gli; 2022 Maverick Hybrid
Occupation
engineer
in researching papers on phev battery degrading and design, there is some discussion around design. there is a 20% reserve that is not touched - ever. It is there to protect the battery from every being depleted. Second is a reserve at new on top of that to allow for battery capacity reduction over time. The BMS controls the charge and discharge to maintain performance over the 10 years as the battery degrades. This makes sense to me, but I would love to know EXACTLY how Jeep designed this battery. Also, does anyone know if the battery warranty is just for complete failure, or is there a performance element of loss of capacity?

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd been digging into battery tech for years and of course had to figure out what Jeep used for the 4xe; it's a Samsung SDI battery. Tried and true battery tech. https://www.samsungsdi.com/automotive-battery/products/prismatic-lithium-ion-battery-cell.html

In ref to my comments above about degradation, L2 charging of this particular battery in the 4xe will have nil/miniscule affect on the battery's longevity; the measurable difference between L1 and L2 charging on AC is not an issue, hence Jeep engineer comments to the effect of go ahead and charge/discharge to your heart's content without worry is accurate.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
in researching papers on phev battery degrading and design, there is some discussion around design. there is a 20% reserve that is not touched - ever. It is there to protect the battery from every being depleted. Second is a reserve at new on top of that to allow for battery capacity reduction over time. The BMS controls the charge and discharge to maintain performance over the 10 years as the battery degrades. This makes sense to me, but I would love to know EXACTLY how Jeep designed this battery. Also, does anyone know if the battery warranty is just for complete failure, or is there a performance element of loss of capacity?
For that reserve:
  1. Is that factored into the stated capacity of 17.3 kWh
  2. Does that not include the "invisible" hybrid operation capacity.
I just got a smart charger, and I've observed a full charge being around 13.6 kWh. That leaves around 3.7 kWh after 0%.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...I just got a smart charger, and I've observed a full charge being around 13.6 kWh. That leaves around 3.7 kWh after 0%.
Your battery used less than 13.6kwh of power if 13.6kwh was the energy used to charge it; charging uses more electricity to "fill" a battery than the resulting capacity when fully charged. Charging losses occur from the inverter and the internal battery pack resistance. So if you used, say, an actual 12kwh of battery, you may need 13.6kwh of electricity to charge back that 12kwh. I do not know the exact charging efficiency for the 4xe.

coloradoTimR

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe - Silver
300 miles so far on my new 4xe. About half highway and trails and half in town. So far, I have only used 1/2 tank of gas. And BTW, last night I dusted a Mustang.... the look on his face was priceless. 4wAuto, make sure the engine is warm and on. Hybrid mode (full charge) Whoa Baby!

Ten4Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited / 2023 Jeep 392 XR

Great pointđź‘Ťđź‘Ť Appreciate your view on this, especially where economics are concerned. Another positive factor in your recommended usage is the fact that you do occasionally use a little gas, which prevents the fuel in your tank from getting stale and eliminates the need for adding fuel stabilization.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
Question, I have a 4XE ordered but with the cloth seats (not a fan of the leather as it can hit 117 in the summer here) but I would love to upgrade a few parts from the leather option. Would any know the part number for the following?

Top Pad Trim Kit Rubicon In Blue Stitching
Center Console Armrest In Blue Stitching

These are the part from the Rubicon in Red Stitching just need it in Blue.

6AC121R3AC-2.jpg

41Xt5OPPkjL._AC_.jpg
They are all listed as optional accessories on the Mopar site and there's someone on here from BAM or somewhere that will take care of forum members. That said, I tried to get that stuff for my Hydro Blue Rubicon and finally gave up....national back order over and over again.

Update: Found my original parts order:

5ZW611DQAD1
$ 77.17​
KNOB. TRANSFER CASE SHIFT.
6LZ011DQAE1
$ 100.43​
LEVER ASSEMBLY. Parking Brake.
[No Description Available], [Bright Interior Accents], [Leather Wrapped Park Brake Handle].
6AC121DQAC1
$ 173.16​
PAD. INSTRUMENT PANEL.
[Black], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [#1 Seat Foam Cushion].
6AC241DQAA1
$ 176.49​
BEZEL. Instrument Panel. Left.
[Black], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Premium Wrapped I/P Bezels].
6AC261DQAD1
$ 164.28​
DOOR. Passenger Air Bag.
[Black], [Instrument Panel Parts Module], [Premium Wrapped I/P Bezels].
Sponsored