Sponsored

[ADVICE] WHEEL OFFSET: KMC XD137 FMJ (20x12 -44") or (20x10 -18") - TIRES: Nitto or Falken 35 or 37

Diego_JL20

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and it's my first Jeep. I have recently got a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I'm in the process of buying new wheels and tires, I've done a research and came across the KMC XD137 FMJ, the question is.. should I get the (20x12 -44") or (20x10 -18") I personally like the -44, from the advertised picture, it looks very aggressive. A local shop in my area recommend -18 offset, they said I was going to have issues with the -44, I could get pulled over by the cops, he also said it wouldn't look good because it will stick out too much.

The other concern I have is, what brand of tires should I go with, Nitto Ridge Grappler or Falken WildPeak A/T AT3 - I Live in Toronto Ontario, lots of snow here.

And last, what tire size 35 or 37, I was told 35 will fit a Rubicon without a lift - If I go with 37 I need to lift it 2", the shop recommended a cost effective way with spacers lift.

I appreciate your advice!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Diego_JL20

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Here I found the same wheel, it looks like but different offsets, not sure what are they.

SmartSelect_20200324-235228_Samsung Notes.jpg

SmartSelect_20200324-235148_Samsung Notes.jpg

GIJL

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Vehicle Showcase
Did you pull the trigger? I’m really liking the 20x12s to. It all depends which state your in as far as policia. In Virginia we don’t have issues but in Maryland you do.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You’re not gonna get much advice around here on 20” rims, especially not in the transmission, axle and gear subforum. You’ll end up with a pretty harsh ride.

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
You’re not gonna get much advice around here on 20” rims, especially not in the transmission, axle and gear subforum. You’ll end up with a pretty harsh ride.

Why the harsh ride exactly?

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're wondering what it will look like (how far they stick out) with those wheel specs you can look at, Custom Offsets has a cool gallery page with actual builds. The gallery has all kinds of filters to specify wheel size, offset, suspension, tire size. It's pretty cool.

The link below is filtered on stock suspension, 20x12 wheels with -44 offset. I expected them to stick out a lot more.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...width_from=12.0&year=2021&wheel_offset_to=-44

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
If your posted specs are right, they’ll actually be pretty close in backspacing, aka clearance. The 20x12” will just be a wider wheel.
I recommend 35” to those without plans to go hardcore. If you’re considering the 35” tire, you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of them. Don’t be afraid of regret, 37” plus comes with a lot of risk and extra lift work or body modifications. I can’t speak to snow performance. I went from KO2’s which were good on snow trails to KM3’s that haven’t had a shot at the white stuff yet.

Beetroot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Medical Devices
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and it's my first Jeep. I have recently got a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I'm in the process of buying new wheels and tires, I've done a research and came across the KMC XD137 FMJ, the question is.. should I get the (20x12 -44") or (20x10 -18") I personally like the -44, from the advertised picture, it looks very aggressive. A local shop in my area recommend -18 offset, they said I was going to have issues with the -44, I could get pulled over by the cops, he also said it wouldn't look good because it will stick out too much.

The other concern I have is, what brand of tires should I go with, Nitto Ridge Grappler or Falken WildPeak A/T AT3 - I Live in Toronto Ontario, lots of snow here.

And last, what tire size 35 or 37, I was told 35 will fit a Rubicon without a lift - If I go with 37 I need to lift it 2", the shop recommended a cost effective way with spacers lift.

I appreciate your advice!
Congrats on the Jeep. You picked a great model for your first one.

If you like the way those wheels look, you should get the -18 and 35" tires. Both of your tire options are good, I personally would go with the Nitto but I have no actual experience with either of those models. You could do a spacer lift and 37s but why mess with the suspension geometry more than you need to. Assuming you aren't doing any wheeling you won't benefit from the 37s.

For what it's worth, most would consider those wheels a big downgrade from the stock wheels. 20" wheels are worse for offroad driving. Plus those have more decorative fake bolts than I've ever seen in my life... personally I think they are pretty goofy looking. But maybe that's just the Jeep purist in me, to each his own so if you like em have at it.

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A larger diameter wheel means less sidewall height on the tire. Less tire means you lose some of the tire's ability to absorb bumps.
I was kind of thinking that is what you were meaning with the comment, but there's more that goes into it than just the amount of sidewall. I'll concede that ride harshness will increase as the profile of the tire shrinks, but with 35s on a 20" rim there is still enough sidewall that the model of tire itself, air pressure and suspension are going to have as much or more impact on ride quality.

I've been running 35x12.5 R20 STT Pros on my JK for over two years and the ride is perfectly acceptable. My wife's 4xe Sahara has 20 inch rims with 33s and rides much better than mine. Of course that comparison is akin to apples and oranges but at least shows there's more than enough sidewall to provide a decent ride.

Now if your running something with really low profile tires (1-3" sidewalls) you need to keep the air pressure high and then comes the harshness.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here I found the same wheel, it looks like but different offsets, not sure what are they.

Jeep Wrangler JL [ADVICE] WHEEL OFFSET: KMC XD137 FMJ (20x12 -44") or (20x10 -18") - TIRES: Nitto or Falken 35 or 37 SmartSelect_20200324-235148_Samsung Notes

Jeep Wrangler JL [ADVICE] WHEEL OFFSET: KMC XD137 FMJ (20x12 -44") or (20x10 -18") - TIRES: Nitto or Falken 35 or 37 SmartSelect_20200324-235148_Samsung Notes
Thanks for posting the pic of the Rubicon (Wrangler). I ordered an all white Rubicon and I'm having the dealer put on XD137 FMJs with 35x12.5 R20s. Mine should look pretty close to that Rubicon, although that one may have 37s. Those rims look awesome on an all white Rubi!!
Sponsored