First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
If it were me, I would re-order and get exactly what I wanted- life is too short to f around, unless you enjoy doing all those little ticky tack things to make it yours. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather get as far as I can stock, and then add on from there. Also, you could be one of our guinea pigs and order the Xtreme package...
You offer very sound advice, but I decided to stick with what I have. If I take the new build approach, where will it end? Then I'll say... well, I'll should add the half doors with premium uppers, then this, then that, then I'll want the V8 and before I know it I'm on a $90K Jeep! LOL.

Why can't I find the cost of the Extreme package on Jeep.com? That site is really awful IMHO!

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
I decided to use a GoPro Hero 9 for a trail cam, linked to my iPhone mounted on the dash. That way I can capture videos at 4k+ with stabilization if I want and have the camera for other activities.
Is your GoPro in the cabin of the vehicle, or on the bumper? If on the bumper do you leave it on all the time, or only when you ride trails? I was going to also use the Trail Cam everyday for garage parking as I have some things I need to get REALLY close to, but not hit.

Thanks for the reply/suggestion.

wantingtobuyonetouch

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018-2020 Wrangler w One Touch Roof
Not sure what you ordered, but the satin grill is my favorite, hence why I went with a Willy's instead of paying $325 for the satin grill. I'm sure somebody would happily trade if you didn't like it. In regards to the steel bumpers, check the junk yards, they have them last time I checked for $1100 for both. I want to change the bumpers on my Willy's to steel, not sure if I will or not...

Last edited:

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I'm in week 4 on current build wait and could not bear another 7-9 weeks of waiting. I bet I wouldn't even use the trail cam a lot. I can address the grill one way or another, and I'm sure I can do something with the bumpers that I can live with... especially if the forum member here has one I can buy. I like the smittybuilt XRC, just won't work on a non-steel rear bumper. <sigh>

Thanks for the reply!
First off - thank you, great post, and I am in a similar situation.

I do like the looks of the Mopar front bumper, so even though it is expensive I think I am going to go that route and install a winch at the same time. For the rear I am going to keep checking the marketplace for someone selling the OEM rear steel bumper here in the PNW, as the rear is not as pressing for me.

I did order the front trail camera, but didn't get the advanced safety group and so many people tell me how much they love the adaptive cruise control. Given that everything fun Jeep wise is 2-3 hour drive away I am wishing I had ordered that.

I am not sure on your situation, but I managed to order for $700 under invoice, and given the drama from the sales manager (who knows, could have been totally fake) when I actually ordered I doubt they would do the deal again...at least in this current environment, so my plan is to remedy the few items I missed.

Now I just need to find somebody local willing to part with an unopened soft top at a reasonable price...

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Front factory steel bumper is ok, rear not so much. Either way you are way ahead with the aftermarket options. I went with Warn Elite and like them but there many others to look at including the new offerings from MetalCloak-they look solid as hell.

OEM front trail camera is HD and waaay better than aftermarket...

Also you could order the new off road package with 35" KO's, 4.56 gears and other goodies :)
Wow... those Warn bumpers look pretty good and it seems they sensor holes are there as are the front fog lights can be reused. I'm warming up to non-OEM steel bumpers.

Thanks!

Sponsored

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
I like the smittybuilt XRC, just won't work on a non-steel rear bumper. <sigh>
Where do you see that? I've seen some rear bumper swap videos and can't think of any reason it wouldn't work because once you take off the old bumper you can't tell what was on there, but then again I haven't done it personally yet. BTW, most (if not all) after market JL rear bumpers I've seen have holes for the parking/backup sensors.

https://www.smittybilt.com/JL_XRC_Bumpers

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I
Is your GoPro in the cabin of the vehicle, or on the bumper? If on the bumper do you leave it on all the time, or only when you ride trails? I was going to also use the Trail Cam everyday for garage parking as I have some things I need to get REALLY close to, but not hit.

I clamp it to the stinger on the front bumper or on the bar of a slider with one of these whenever I head to the trails. The clamp is very strong, and the camera tucks nicely between the winch fairlead and a shackle. I also have a Garmin dash cam on my windshield, allowing me to create videos with split perspectives.
Suptig Jaws Flex Clamp Mount Gooseneck Mount for GoPro Hero 9 Hero 8 Hero 7 Hero 6 Hero 5 Hero 4 Session Hero 3+ Hero 3 Arlo Arlo pro Arlo go Action Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077QDKRC...abc_133P8CZFA6Q274FS7H51?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Where do you see that? I've seen some rear bumper swap videos and can't think of any reason it wouldn't work because once you take off the old bumper you can't tell what was on there, but then again I haven't done it personally yet. BTW, most (if not all) after market JL rear bumpers I've seen have holes for the parking/backup sensors.

https://www.smittybilt.com/JL_XRC_Bumpers
God as my witness on the Quadratec site it had a note about it not working on the factory plastic bumper, only the factory steel bumper. I double checked before I posted and almost even took a screen grab, but can't find it now on the page for the rear Smittybuilt rear XRC Gen 2. Maybe I am going crazy.

Thanks for clarifying.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You offer very sound advice, but I decided to stick with what I have. If I take the new build approach, where will it end? Then I'll say... well, I'll should add the half doors with premium uppers, then this, then that, then I'll want the V8 and before I know it I'm on a $90K Jeep! LOL.

Why can't I find the cost of the Extreme package on Jeep.com? That site is really awful IMHO!

Thanks for the reply.
The Xtreme Package is $4k. I’m hearing it requires the V6 and hard top but haven’t seen it confirmed.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly

Here's what my setup looks like. Just have to make sure I don't scrape the GoPro off when Jeepin'. Haven't so far...

20210628_161643635_iOS.jpg

20210628_161646946_iOS.jpg

20210628_161715332_iOS.jpg

20210628_161754265_iOS.jpg

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
<therapy session>

• Integrated Off Road Camera(Trail Cam): I didn’t come to love the idea of this $595 factory option until after I ordered. My subsequent research led me to the Tazer JL Mini ($330)/Trail Cam ($180) and found that to be a reasonable option that I MIGHT be able to do myself. (Plus all the added benefits of the Tazer Mini JL.). But I later learned that the ZAutomotive option is not “Hi-Definition” and I don’t know how to compare that to the resolution/definition of the factory rear camera.
    • QUESTION: Has anyone ever captured a side-by-side difference between the two images?
    • QUESTION: Has anyone had a dealer successfully add this option after delivery?
    • QUESTION: Are there really any other options besides the Tazer?
The mentioned gladiator forum is a good point of reference for what goes in to adding the OEM Trail Cam after delivery. One of the requirements is changing the body harness. When I ordered mine I thought the trail cam was a part of one of the packages so I didn't "check" that box. So when I took delivery and realized it wasn't there, I was not pleased. I spoke with the dealer who talked with parts and service who relayed that it is a factory option only. The guy who did it on the gladiator forum put over $1000 into it all said and done. The work is very extensive, not a project I was willing to undertake. Even though the zAutomotive option is not HD it satisfies my want for something up front. Good luck with you decisions!

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
The Xtreme Package is $4k. I’m hearing it requires the V6 and hard top but haven’t seen it confirmed.
Not sure about the hard top, but my dealer verified it's currently only available on the 3.6L and also that if you order a 3.6L it's now a required package. I didn't get the invoice price but it's usually ~90% of the MSRP so should be ~$3600.

Edit: I should note the above is for Rubicons, as that's the only trim it's now available in (I've been told 392s can also order it now).

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
The mentioned gladiator forum is a good point of reference for what goes in to adding the OEM Trail Cam after delivery. One of the requirements is changing the body harness. When I ordered mine I thought the trail cam was a part of one of the packages so I didn't "check" that box. So when I took delivery and realized it wasn't there, I was not pleased. I spoke with the dealer who talked with parts and service who relayed that it is a factory option only. The guy who did it on the gladiator forum put over $1000 into it all said and done. The work is very extensive, not a project I was willing to undertake. Even though the zAutomotive option is not HD it satisfies my want for something up front. Good luck with you decisions!
I've come to the same conclusion: factory replacement... way too hard/expensive, Tazer... good enough.

Thanks!

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I've taken a shot on parts that were supposedly "only" for a 2019 or whatever, and everything fit fine.

As far as bumpers that are "only" for a vehicle that originally had steel bumpers, I can't speak to every bumper out there, but having changed a plastic bumper to a steel one, I don't see anything my plastic-equipped Jeep was missing that would have impacted the install. My guess is those manufacturers are more concerned about weight issues, and ride height. If your Jeep has steel bumpers from the factory, you get stronger springs, etc.

I can't speak for the entire market, but I can attest that the Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper bolted in place of a plastic one with zero fitment issues. It also has holes for backup sensors.

The one concern I have with going for an aftermarket steel rear bumper is that there is a pretty good chunk of real estate that used to be shielded in plastic, which is now exposed. I get mud rooster tails all over my tail lights thanks to this new gap. I have contemplated fabbing up something to fill the gap, but so far, I'm just living with it.

OP
OP
webwbr

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
I've taken a shot on parts that were supposedly "only" for a 2019 or whatever, and everything fit fine.

As far as bumpers that are "only" for a vehicle that originally had steel bumpers, I can't speak to every bumper out there, but having changed a plastic bumper to a steel one, I don't see anything my plastic-equipped Jeep was missing that would have impacted the install. My guess is those manufacturers are more concerned about weight issues, and ride height. If your Jeep has steel bumpers from the factory, you get stronger springs, etc.

I can't speak for the entire market, but I can attest that the Rugged Ridge HD rear bumper bolted in place of a plastic one with zero fitment issues. It also has holes for backup sensors.

The one concern I have with going for an aftermarket steel rear bumper is that there is a pretty good chunk of real estate that used to be shielded in plastic, which is now exposed. I get mud rooster tails all over my tail lights thanks to this new gap. I have contemplated fabbing up something to fill the gap, but so far, I'm just living with it.
Thanks for this, it is helpful to have more stories of first-hand experience on stuff working. And you gave me something more to think about with steel often offering less shielding. I don't think a dirty Jeep will make me change my mind, but I'd rather have that under consideration now rather than learn about it later.

Thanks again.
Sponsored