Sponsored

Advice request: Teraflex ST2, Evo Enforcer, Metalcloak, Clayton, or Rock Krawler

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
River City has great deals on RK kits -- worth cross shopping.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
River City has great deals on RK kits -- worth cross shopping.
Do you know what’s involved in the maintenance there joints need, I hear they need more maintenance but I am not clear on exactly what that requirement is?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you know what’s involved in the maintenance there joints need, I hear they need more maintenance but I am not clear on exactly what that requirement is?
I have RK arms. They need to be greased via the zerk fitting - I do it with oil changes. It can all be done from under the Jeep without too much hassle.

The upside is you get a better joint.

I believe Clayton uses Johnny Joints which are similar maintenance.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I laugh when people say this. Yes you have to grease them, takes about 10 minutes with the oil change. Every joint out there requires some kind of maintenance. The soft joints like MC uses will have to be replaced at some point (I’ve seen them tear in as little as a year). The RK stuff is absolutely bulletproof. Probably need to rebuild the joints every 3-5 years but even that can be done by just dropping one end. Takes about 5 minutes to rebuild a joint.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The travel on them is INSANE like 18" but really that is way more than i need, and I already worried about running 37"s with a 2.5" lift and rubbing.. And i have heard they are very stiff, and I like a softer shock. I think i have decided to go with the clayton product, and fox shocks they recommend to go with their kit. Waiting on Rivercity offroad to get me a quote, since they have clayton product now, and always give me excellent pricing and service. As soon as they do, i am going to pull the trigger.. will post pics, when installed.
My two pennies, I would rather have more than I would ever need than less. It would suck to feel limited by your suspension or setup, and back to looking at what more you could do. I like doing things once.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So the Clayton package I am able to get front and rear upper control arms, sway bar links, springs, rear track bars, bump stops , and fox 2.0 shocks for roughly1849 out the door.. they don’t require me to buy a front track bar that MC would include, I already have a teraflex alpine front control arm... so for me this was a a good option and looks like a great product that people love.. if I didn’t already have a track bar (or metal cloak let you not order it) then the two kits would be about 450 a part.. and it seems the MC product at 2550 has more flex.. but I don’t need the extra flex, I am scared of damaging my drive boot (MC says they flex so hard it’s an issue), and I am already above the wife approved budget, so the Clayton lift seems to a lot of quality lift for the dollar for me.. and saves me 700 bucks (550 if I was able sell one of the two front track bars I would end up with if I got the MC kit).
My two pennies, I would rather have more than I would ever need than less. It would suck to feel limited by your suspension or setup, and back to looking at what more you could do. I like doing things once.
I see that and feel that pain, as I am ditching my space lift i had on my old JL.. but budget matters, and realistically for my usage .. i was too conservative with the space lift on cash, and i feel like what i am planning above is appriopriate to what i want the vehicle to do.. and I have now had a JK, and am building my second JL.. so this is my third jeep build.. so i have a pretty good idea of the performance i will get, and what i need.. OR SO I SAY NOW.. we will see what i am posting in 6 months lol

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So the Clayton package I am able to get front and rear upper control arms, sway bar links, springs, rear track bars, bump stops , and fox 2.0 shocks for roughly1849 out the door.. they don’t require me to buy a front track bar that MC would include, I already have a teraflex alpine front control arm... so for me this was a a good option and looks like a great product that people love.. if I didn’t already have a track bar (or metal cloak let you not order it) then the two kits would be about 450 a part.. and it seems the MC product at 2550 has more flex.. but I don’t need the extra flex, I am scared of damaging my drive boot (MC says they flex so hard it’s an issue), and I am already above the wife approved budget, so the Clayton lift seems to a lot of quality lift for the dollar for me.. and saves me 700 bucks (550 if I was able sell one of the two front track bars I would end up with if I got the MC kit).

I see that and feel that pain, as I am ditching my space lift i had on my old JL.. but budget matters, and realistically for my usage .. i was too conservative with the space lift on cash, and i feel like what i am planning above is appriopriate to what i want the vehicle to do.. and I have now had a JK, and am building my second JL.. so this is my third jeep build.. so i have a pretty good idea of the performance i will get, and what i need.. OR SO I SAY NOW.. we will see what i am posting in 6 months lol
Which Clayton kit specifically are you getting ?

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Which Clayton kit specifically are you getting ?
I actually picking parts individually off there site based around my need.. because i already have a few things like upgraded bumpstops, front trackbar, etc..

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so marcus at riverciteoffroad put a strong alternative package together for the RK product.. and I know alot of you guys love it.. @word302 and @oceanblue2019 @rustyshakelford

How do the triple rate springs ride? my main priority is a high quality responsive but smooth softer road ride. that is offroad capable..

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I actually picking parts individually off there site based around my need.. because i already have a few things like upgraded bumpstops, front trackbar, etc..
Copy that..... out of your two choices that started the thread, you’re making a good decision IMHO. If it can’t be RK that is......😁

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
ya I am now despite my best effort, trying to decide between the RK and the Clayton.. there spring systems are really different.. trying to understand which makes most sense for me

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
ya I am now despite my best effort, trying to decide between the RK and the Clayton.. there spring systems are really different.. trying to understand which makes most sense for me
I’m on 3.5” Rk , and can tell you the on road ride is pretty sweet. As long as you use the right shocks, either RKs RRD or fox.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Ok so marcus at riverciteoffroad put a strong alternative package together for the RK product.. and I know alot of you guys love it.. @word302 and @oceanblue2019 @rustyshakelford

How do the triple rate springs ride? my main priority is a high quality responsive but smooth softer road ride. that is offroad capable..
They ride well, I am on their 2.5" springs right now and very happy. On road and off road is good.

As I said in another thread my Jeep is *perfect* right now how it drives on and off road. The steering is fantastic, suspension fantastic, engine is great. I am afraid to change a thing and risk loosing where I am today ;)

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They ride well, I am on their 2.5" springs right now and very happy. On road and off road is good.

As I said in another thread my Jeep is *perfect* right now how it drives on and off road. The steering is fantastic, suspension fantastic, engine is great. I am afraid to change a thing and risk loosing where I am today ;)
You have the fox shocks?

I know what you mean, that is why I am obsessing on every detail of the lift because I want to get it right first time and leave it, not keep tinkering with things for months and spending more and more money
Sponsored