Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
For me, I realized I probably wouldn't be hitting the Rubicon, doing any hardass off roading - but I would be doing some off roading. I wanted a winch and the ability to carry some extra fuel. I did just as you are, sought advise from members on this forum. This is what I came up with and did - hopefully my photo's will post..

I searched the internet and various 4x4 and offroad websites for what I was looking for, but couldn't find it - so I made it myself. I wanted a way carry extra fuel without putting a rack on the top, I wanted to carry more than a couple of gallons - I wanted to carry a standard size "Jerry Can" and it seemed like there was enough room to mount on the right side of the spare and still be able to fully open the "trunk".

I made my carrier from 3/16" angle iron, welded the corners and it bolts right to the same mounting points. I did replace the factory bolts with longer and hardened bolts found at "Home Cheepo" - funny part is, the new bolts use the same star bit supplied for use on the Jeep.

I received many comments as to how this wasn't going to work or that the rear tailgate would sag due to the extra weight. Well, so far so good, no sag and my thinking is that I have the best chance for success by placing the weight closest to the hinge.

Next thing I did was purchase a Smitty Built 9500 lb winch. I skinned off all of the factory plastic to get to the frame.

Again using 3/16" angle iron, I welded two braces between the frame for the winch to bolt up to. All of the factory plastic and parts still bolted back to where they came from, all that was needed was to cut the front plastic around the winch and rollers.

jeep gas carrier 1.jpg

20200808_125803.jpg

20200808_125751.jpg

20200802_090913.jpg

Jeep winch 1.jpg

Jeep winch 2.jpg
Forgot to mention, aside from my time, I spent about $35.00 for the 3/16" angle iron, $13.00 on welding rods and roughly $5.00 new bolts. For the winch, $265.00, $35.00 angle iron.

So, total I spent roughly $350.00 to get the gas carrier and winch - both installed not needing to purchase "steel bumpers" or any other crap.
Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
Very cool. I love the home-engineered approach and your Jeep looks great. Well done.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl
I went with the Rubicon take off. I liked the look and wanted the winch to mount behind the bumper rather than on top. Also added some KC lights since this picture was taken. I went with the Warn 10S.
Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader BF876A52-E32E-4088-A0AF-CB067631B5E5

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
John -- Very nice setup! I see you also have the Rubicon wheels. Did you have to beef up your suspension with Rubicon setup to accommodate the bumper and winch?

Thanks,

Myron

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl
OK, just added the Quadratec QRC stubby bumper & Smittybuilt XRC 9500 winch, almost 200lbs added. Here's a shot with the Rubicon suspension on my sport, then w/ the winch added. Seems to have dropped about a 1/2", not bad IMO but may add that 1/2" spacer when I get bored, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader BF876A52-E32E-4088-A0AF-CB067631B5E5

How does the ride feel with the rubic springs vs the sport springs?

Sponsored

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl
John -- Very nice setup! I see you also have the Rubicon wheels. Did you have to beef up your suspension with Rubicon setup to accommodate the bumper and winch?

Thanks,

Myron
Nope all stock. I have not noticed any drop in height in the front on mine with everything I have added either.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I made my carrier from 3/16" angle iron, welded the corners and it bolts right to the same mounting points. I did replace the factory bolts with longer and hardened bolts found at "Home Cheepo" - funny part is, the new bolts use the same star bit supplied for use on the Jeep.

do you have any additional pictures of this jerry can mount ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
How does the ride feel with the rubic springs vs the sport springs?
Ride is almost the same, just a bit firmer, after about a day driving it around I forgot the springs/shocks were different :)

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
do you have any additional pictures of this jerry can mount ?
I first did a "prototype" out of aluminum, but didn't like the finish. In the final build, I replaced the factory mounting bolts with harden bolts - funny part is, I found the bolts at "Home Cheapo" they use the same pitch/thread and Starbit head as the factory supplied bit.

I did learn something from this. I cut the angle iron at 45' and then welded the seams. After giving it some thought, I guess I could have simple cut the inside of the angle iron and then bent the outside - not having to do one cut but still welding the inside.

This might have given the final product a better finish, but with grinding down my welds, I'm happy with the finish.

20200802_090808.jpg

20200808_125739.jpg
Sponsored