Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Keep in mind adding a winch + metal bumper is going to add quite some weight on front and it is gonna make it sag. I would consider upgrading the suspension, easy and cheap get yourself a rubicon takeoff suspension that had metal bumpers and tow package. Then get a small spacer for up front so it doesn't sag with the winch and bumper. And consider carrying a set of tools or installing quick disconnects to improve articulation.
Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
I love my LOD destroyer bumper. In the beginning I was debating between recessed and nonrecessed for the winch placement. I chose above the bumper due to it being easier to clean if needed, and don't see the blocking of airflow as too big of an issue.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I like to go against the grain... So, I disregarded all the good advice and just got the cheapest crap that Amazon sells! Ignoring the aux lights, I'm all in for less than $500, including the Tuffy front plate bracket. I did want to get something with synthetic rope, because, I'm an idiot and I figured it was safer. Hey, if you're not a serious off-roader, maybe this setup will get you out of a bind... I wouldn't put a bunch of faith in it, but... Better than nothing! I also have the Mopar recovery strap included with my Jeep... For whatever that's worth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader IMG_20200806_111334-01

Bumper: "Ecotric" (technically JK bumper, but it fits fine)
Winch: "Stegodon" (lol) 9500lb synthetic rope

I'll be relocating the relay/control box eventually, so even though this isn't a recessed mount, it's low profile enough to barely cause any grille obstruction... The lights and hoop are much worse offenders.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Keep in mind adding a winch + metal bumper is going to add quite some weight on front and it is gonna make it sag. I would consider upgrading the suspension, easy and cheap get yourself a rubicon takeoff suspension that had metal bumpers and tow package. Then get a small spacer for up front so it doesn't sag with the winch and bumper. And consider carrying a set of tools or installing quick disconnects to improve articulation.
My 2dr was a bit saggy in the back from the factory. Adding the weight in the front got me pretty square... but, yeah, it might not be a bad idea to get a spacer to reclaim some ground clearance... but, potentially front & back if, like me, the winch levelled things out.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have Rubi swap suspension and will probably have to get a 3/4" spacer, have to see how it looks after the install, but that seems about right to get it level again :)

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
On the JK you could cut the stock bumper, put end caps on it, and add a winch plate on top with a winch. It gave it a better approach angle and it looked better. It was a great way to keep the weight down. Unfortunately, you can't really do that with the stock JL bumper. (You can add a winch, but not cut off the ends)

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Rubicon50,

Nice looking rig.
Like the metal fenders.
Just be careful with the fenders when the JLUR goes off road.
The sheet metal on the JL's is not a beefy as the sheet metal on the JK's.

Therefore, if the metal fender bumps into something, it is possible for the metal fenders on a JL to bend the sheet metal that supports the fender. This is why some rigs have the OEM fenders gutted and the aftermarket side light/turn signal installed. This is also why the OEM fenders are designed to rip away from the Jeep if you bump into something.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OK, just added the Quadratec QRC stubby bumper & Smittybuilt XRC 9500 winch, almost 200lbs added. Here's a shot with the Rubicon suspension on my sport, then w/ the winch added. Seems to have dropped about a 1/2", not bad IMO but may add that 1/2" spacer when I get bored, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader IMG_0352.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader IMG_0253.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader IMG_0346.JPG

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OK, just added the Quadratec QRC stubby bumper & Smittybuilt XRC 9500 winch, almost 200lbs added. Here's a shot with the Rubicon suspension on my sport, then w/ the winch added. Seems to have dropped about a 1/2", not bad IMO but may add that 1/2" spacer when I get bored, lol.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice regarding winch/bumper for a new off-roader IMG_0346.JPG

are the pics shown with out the space to regain 1/2" sag. and how well is the q tec bumper as for fitment and re using the oem fog. i havent looked at the q tec bumpers because of the quality and oversea manufacturing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
are the pics shown with out the space to regain 1/2" sag. and how well is the q tec bumper as for fitment and re using the oem fog. i havent looked at the q tec bumpers because of the quality and oversea manufacturing.
The pics I posted are w/ my Rubicon suspension and NO additional spacing. The lower pic shows the slight drop from the winch, I'd say it's approx a 1/2" down from the first pic. I doubt I'll be adding a spacer anytime soon.

As far as fog light fitment and everything else fit/finish related, I'd say it's first rate all around, couldn't be happier. Getting the fog light bolts into the brackets w/ the washer & nut is a bit tough as it's a tight fit, but found a way to make it easier (in my review post).

I've seen quite a few bumpers close up that cost plenty more and must say this one is very stout w/ high quality throughout, and comparable to some costing twice as much .
Here's an additional review thread I just posted
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/quadratec-qrc-stubby-bumper-review.56256/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aranimus

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
That's a really good point, and I actually hadn't considered that! Though now it seems kinda obvious --- replacing plastic with metal and adding a substantive winch etc. does have consequences!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's a really good point, and I actually hadn't considered that! Though now it seems kinda obvious --- replacing plastic with metal and adding a substantive winch etc. does have consequences!
You'll also feel that added weight a bit when braking, and the front end tends to dive a bit when braking hard. Having that added weight ahead of the front brakes enhances that effect.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ll have an unpopular opinion here, but this based upon my experience doing EXACTLY what you’re doing. I live in Denver, but during the summer get out to the trails through the mountains at least every other weekend. These are BLM, Forest Service, and National Park trails. I camp Friday and Saturday nights, then drive home on Sunday. I don’t look for serious off-roading obstacles, but some times find them (I always take the easy route if possible). For me, it’s about the destination, not the journey.

If I were you, I’d carry a little sharp hand saw and a rope. This should be less than $100 and enough to move any reasonable tree in your way. You’ll save a ton of money, weight, and time going this route. If you decide to upgrade later on, this isn’t wasted money. Sure you may be able to afford the upgrade, but couldn’t you use that somewhere else... like to do more traveling?

Generally, I’d highly recommend not upgrading because you think you might need it later (with the exception of safety equipment like first aid, etc.) there’s a huge tendency to just throw dollar after dollar at a JL to meet these requirements that aren’t really realistic based upon what the person uses their vehicle for.

Drive slow and deliberately while you’re learning how to handle the Jeep off-road. Get out and plan lines if it’s tricky and walk the trail ahead to be sure you want/can handle where you’re going. If you get in a circumstance where you’re not able to do something because of a lack of equipment, decide if the thing you want to do is worth the upgrade cost.

If I had a Sport, I’d consider picking up a Rubicon take off suspension. It should be good for 1-2” and cost maybe $300. Generally, take off parts are a great value and reasonably heavy duty. It’s silly to bolt a 100 lb front bumper fit for a tank when the stock steel one can be had for half the cost and 1/3 the weight.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It’s silly to bolt a 100 lb front bumper fit for a tank when the stock steel one can be had for half the cost and 1/3 the weight.
The OEM steel bumpers are in the 80 lb range IIRC and cost 3x what my bumper cost. Good post though with some good tips & overviews.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Hi everyone,

Well, it turns out that the Jeep JL Sport S (2 DR) we bought last year as a fun convertible for daily driving has morphed into an off-road obsession for my wife and I! We found that USFS "roads" up in the Sierras are a wonderful way to get away from it all, and find a trail head or stream that makes one remember why life is good!

Anyway, given that we are spending quite a bit of time off-road in rather distant locations I thought it might be reasonable to consider a few upgrades to our Jeep (although I think it is very capable as is!).

The first was tires, and I think a simple all-terrain upgrade would make me feel a bit more confident on some of the rocks/slopes. That has been ordered. However, the places we go to sometimes have debris (downed trees etc.), so I thought I would look into perhaps replacing the stock JL Sport front bumper with a winch/bumper replacement? I mean in case we needed to move something, or perhaps, worst-case scenario, get stuck. I suppose just buying belts and using the stock hooks would suffice, but I'm a bit of an off-roading noob here.

So my question is: What would you all recommend regarding replacement of the stock front bumper to include a winch system that might be useful for a problem when out on an off-roading trip? Is it worth it to consider? If so, what products do you recommend?

I just want it to be functional, I'm not modding the Jeep for any reason other than utility!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

For me, I realized I probably wouldn't be hitting the Rubicon, doing any hardass off roading - but I would be doing some off roading. I wanted a winch and the ability to carry some extra fuel. I did just as you are, sought advise from members on this forum. This is what I came up with and did - hopefully my photo's will post..

I searched the internet and various 4x4 and offroad websites for what I was looking for, but couldn't find it - so I made it myself. I wanted a way carry extra fuel without putting a rack on the top, I wanted to carry more than a couple of gallons - I wanted to carry a standard size "Jerry Can" and it seemed like there was enough room to mount on the right side of the spare and still be able to fully open the "trunk".

I made my carrier from 3/16" angle iron, welded the corners and it bolts right to the same mounting points. I did replace the factory bolts with longer and hardened bolts found at "Home Cheepo" - funny part is, the new bolts use the same star bit supplied for use on the Jeep.

I received many comments as to how this wasn't going to work or that the rear tailgate would sag due to the extra weight. Well, so far so good, no sag and my thinking is that I have the best chance for success by placing the weight closest to the hinge.

Next thing I did was purchase a Smitty Built 9500 lb winch. I skinned off all of the factory plastic to get to the frame.

Again using 3/16" angle iron, I welded two braces between the frame for the winch to bolt up to. All of the factory plastic and parts still bolted back to where they came from, all that was needed was to cut the front plastic around the winch and rollers.

jeep gas carrier 1.jpg

20200808_125803.jpg

20200808_125751.jpg

20200802_090913.jpg

Jeep winch 1.jpg

Jeep winch 2.jpg
Sponsored