Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Secret Squirrel
Hi Everyone,

First time caller from Ontario, Canada here lol

I bought a wrangler for the first time... been a IT guy forever so cars are not where my smarts are... I love the look of the Rubicon stock wheels/tires however I bought a 2021 Islander edition... with the 17" stock wheels/tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T). Would I be able to say pickup a set of 18" Willys tires or a pair of 17" Rubicon takeoff wheels/tires and swap them out without any problems? Can 17" and 18" wheels be swapped without issues.. no lift, no modification to fenders etc.

The other idea I had was to buy some aftermarket wheels/tires - I keep seeing these rockstar ones show up on Kijiji are they any good? What about TPMS sensors? What do you guys suggest for a guy like me who likes to drive in the snow and does mild/soft off-roading? I do not think I would get the benefit of full out mudders as I drive to/from work every day (30KM each way). I like the idea of having tires that were chosen by the manufacturer as they work really well... I also had a Cherokee prior to this (trailhawk edition) and the all terrain tires it had were amazing and met my needs... this is more about look and having a spare pair.... I am open to buying a take off set or just keeping the rubber I have now.

Here is a video of the sort of thing I do.. of course its winter so just add mud and dust and water in the summer...

Open to all sorts of suggestions and ideas...

discuss.... lol
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
You can easily swap Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires on with no other modifications - these are easily the best bang for your buck and the KO2s are much, much better than the stock Dueler type tires. Thicker rubber where it counts, looks much nicer and great performance on nearly any type of terrain. TPMS sensors are cross compatible and no issues going up or down in wheel diameter, just make sure the previous user of the takeoff set didn't remove them to put in whatever they upgraded to. As your tires get bigger your gearing will be less favorable but the difference is very small going from the stock size to the Rubicon 33" KO2s. The KO2s are awesome for all-around, light to medium duty off roading and perform great as a daily driver tire as well.

If you go your own route and skip the takeoffs, I would just recommend sticking to a 17" wheel and at least a 33" tire. You want meat on the bones - if you're going off road often it's highly beneficial to have more rubber than metal down there. Assuming the Canadian spec is the same as the US, the Willys takeoffs will be 17" wheels as well, but with a 32" tire (We get the Destination M/T here in the US). Not a bad setup either if you have a 2 door.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Some of the Rubicons IIRC also come w/ Falken M/T tires, also a good tire for more aggressive off-roading but not as good for cold snowy weather.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I have the Falken M/T (MT01) on my Rubicon. I heard they were not very good for snow. Earlier this week, we received a total of 6" of snow and I was wanting to go out and play. I have to say I was impressed with how well the Falken M/T's performed in the snow, as they have no siping. These are not the three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) tires by any means, but they did very well in 6" of snow. :)

OP
OP
BoundaryGroomer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret Squirrel
Thanks guys the KO2 are in my future I suspect

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Those wheels are 17 x 7.5 IIRC so you can fit up to a 285/75R17 tire which translates into a 33.86" tall tire which is about all you can run without a lift on the JL, non-Rubicon, models.

I will be moving up to that size tire on my stock Moab edition wheels if the Firestone Destination M/T2 tires don't perform well.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Those wheels are 17 x 7.5 IIRC so you can fit up to a 285/75R17 tire which translates into a 33.86" tall tire which is about all you can run without a lift on the JL, non-Rubicon, models.

I will be moving up to that size tire on my stock Moab edition wheels if the Firestone Destination M/T2 tires don't perform well.
My 295/70/17s (about 33.3" tall) is about as tall as I would recommend without a lift, even at that height they look kinda stuffed. Think the 285/70/17 is about right without a lift since the K02s run a bit short, like a 32.6 IIRC.
Stock, new wheels tires, then w/ Rubicon suspension swap

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on swapping OEM wheels/tires 100_4015.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on swapping OEM wheels/tires 100_4023.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on swapping OEM wheels/tires IMG_0253.JPG

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Yes. I went from 18” stock Sahara wheels and tires to Moab 17” takeoffs with 33” KO2’s from a Rubi, love the new look.

16F8B627-2039-42BC-AE2B-5DFB138CEE54.jpeg

OP
OP
BoundaryGroomer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret Squirrel
Thanks for all the replies! 17 seems like the winning wheel size... I will search for a set of takeoffs.
Sponsored