ThatTXJeepGuy

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Porsche, future wrangler owner
Hey everyone,

I've ordered a MOPAR 2" lift kit and 37" BFG K02 tires (37/12.5/R17). I've been researching through the forum on other components I should get to prevent the issues that come from running a larger size tire and lift. So far from what I've seen upgrading the tie rod, drag link, and caster can fix most of the issues. I've also seen some say that a steering stabilizer is only needed. Some have said to upgrade the track bar. I'm curious on what set up some of you have on here and whether I should try upgrading all those components or whether just getting a Fox steering stabilizer or Falcon Steering stabilizer would fix most of the noticeable issues.

P.S. I drive about 50-70 miles a day with a mix of city and highway. More concerned about highway because I currently drive about 70-75 MPH and the roads here have quite a bit of potholes and such. I also tend to go on road trips to off-road about twice a month.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I have oversized (305/65/17 or 32x12) that are not nearly as extreme as your plans. I did notice some flubber or slight shutter when hitting bridge seams, and RR tracks etc.........with the stock steering stabilizer. Its nothing special.
I did notice a difference when I switched to the Falcon 2.2 EF adjustable stabilizer and better shocks that also reduced body roll and handled the heavier tires better as well.
I would suggest a better steering stab and steering box brace first. Then decide if a more rugged Track bar and drag link are needed. The stock track bar can flex and there are beefier better options. My thought is that death wobble starts when parts start to get worn. Every time you hit a bridge seam, pot holes etc. Any slight slop in the components will hasten the wear. This is why I would start with the Stabilizer, Steering box brace, Track bar and then Tie Rod and Drag link in that order. Quality of end links and stiffness being most important as well as adjusting points that are sturdy and easy to adjust. Lift kits that include adjustable lower control arms will take care of being able to adjust caster. Mopar uses a lot of bolts in the track bars and control arms that are a bit sloppy fit and the bolts are threaded the whole length. Switching to a bolts with a longer shoulder that is SAE instead of Metric and slightly larger diameter can take a little slop out of some of it. I know its minor but every little bit can add up and not a big investment. It may slow down the slight movement in components and reduce the wear from heavier wheels and tires. You'll likely need wheels that have less back spacing to move the tires out or you'll be rubbing the control arms at full turn. Many use stock 7.5" wide wheels but you really should have 8.5 or 9 inch wide rims for a 12 or 12.5 wide tire.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Hey everyone,

I've ordered a MOPAR 2" lift kit and 37" BFG K02 tires (37/12.5/R17). I've been researching through the forum on other components I should get to prevent the issues that come from running a larger size tire and lift. So far from what I've seen upgrading the tie rod, drag link, and caster can fix most of the issues. I've also seen some say that a steering stabilizer is only needed. Some have said to upgrade the track bar. I'm curious on what set up some of you have on here and whether I should try upgrading all those components or whether just getting a Fox steering stabilizer or Falcon Steering stabilizer would fix most of the noticeable issues.

P.S. I drive about 50-70 miles a day with a mix of city and highway. More concerned about highway because I currently drive about 70-75 MPH and the roads here have quite a bit of potholes and such. I also tend to go on road trips to off-road about twice a month.

Thanks!

Install the kit and see how it drives. I wouldn’t buy anything extra (except RK pads) until you get a baseline. I haven’t done anything to mine and its smooth as silk. I’m running the same setup on 37s with stock wheels, no spacers or rubbing.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You'll get 100 opinions on this. Offering mine only because I have the same setup with a 2" mopar lift and 37" KO2s.

If I knew then what I know now.... I would still have replaced my track bars. It made a difference in the feel driving. I didn't spend a ton and went with the rancho bars for 175$ each. Regardless of what I've read, I think you need to do front and rear. Then I would have installed front lower control arms to get more caster. If you had bought another brand lift, it would have cost more, but would have likely came with those options. Gets your alignment back to more ideal measurements.

I replaced my tie rod and drag link. You don't need to just to run 37's and I don't think made handling better. The track bar and sector shaft brace is a preventative measure unless you're already having issues. I think the stock stabilizer is fine with factory tie rod and drag link, unless of course you're having issues.

Also, I think there are 2 issues that everyone lumps together into one issue. Now that I've dealt with both, I think I have a better understanding. There is wobble when going over bumps. If ignored or conditions are right, becomes "death wobble". The other issue is the wondering on the highway at speeds of 70-80. I think depending on which issue you're wanting to address, different "upgrades" are required. I think if you want to address the wonder, the track bars and control arms make the most difference. If you have wobbles, you have to look at everything.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
You should run your Jeep with the mods you mentioned for a while. After that, make adjustments as needed with additional components. Their is a lot of info on this forum good/bad, and a lot of people will tell you different things; it’s up to you to decide what’s best for your rig and budget.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
It’s very important to pay attention to the amount of lift you actually get. Measure before and after. The amount of lift you get will determine if additional parts are needed.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Replace all of them

Not joking. Track bar, drag link, tie rod, steering stabilizer are all barley adequate stock - not mention the steering box. Throw some 35+ tires on and yea, it might be OK - for a while. But there will always be that little drift or wobble or pull or jiggle that will always detract from the ride. Pretty much all the aftermarket stuff is pretty beefy and will improve the stock steering but will for sure help give you more control with larger tires.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
For handling and steering, front and rear track bar brace are a great add on that you will feel. Then nice track bars, something with firmer bushings or johnny joint or heim joint.
Since you went Mopar 2 ( what I have used )
1. RK spring pads
2. RK track bars f/r
3. track bar brace ( used superlift they are cheap dollar wise ) works great and you can feel them working.
4. fox 2.0 steering stabilizer

These were added to mine to make it handle and steer much much better.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My recommendation is trackbar, tierod, draglink, steering damper (adjustable), in that order.
Sponsored