Sponsored

Advice on Numerous Issues with '19 JLU Sahara

rocksarntpeople

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR Diesel, '08 BMW M135i
Disclaimer: This is my first Wrangler, and if this is the wrong section feel free to move it. I don't really have much by way of comparison, but a year and a half ago I bought a loaded JLU Sahara and have had nothing but problems ever since. I haven't posted much on here, mostly just looked, and have spent time reading through the various issue threads and now Im just wondering what kind of options I have or is the below just par for the course on a $45,000 American truck? It seems that the numerous dealers I have brought this to just kind of brush it off as "a jeep thing" or break more when they do have it, and Im wondering what of the below issues I should press to get investigated, and what I will likely just have to live with. Thanks in advance.

1) 3 months in the radiator "split at the seams" and leaked all the coolant all over the highway. Truck overheated almost immediately and shut off and towed. Cooling system replaced, since then slowly loses coolant and has occasional blue smoke puffs at start up. Dealers claim no issue.

2) Every time the oil is changed it is at minimum a quart over filled. I have actually gotten to the point of buying my own and draining it upon getting it back and filling it up properly. Just maintain going to the dealer to keep the service records in tact.

3) Tire rotations never include the spare even when asked to do so, kind of a minimal thing, but still annoying.

4) Steering has been "worked on" multiple times. Alignments, balances, the current TSB service and seems to just get worse every time. Super sloppy, large dead spot, and still wanders all over the road.

5) In the last few thousand miles there's a clunking sound when coming to a stop or accelerating from a stop. Seems to be in the trans or rear and can be felt. Another "its a jeep thing" kind of deal when mentioned, but Im not sure if that is the case so I thought I would mention it.

6) The Uconnect system randomly doesn't work. Wont turn on or restarts a bunch. Also affects the parking sensors in the back and the rear view camera but is kind of sporadic.

7) Climate control doesn't know what temp it is outside. Fairly frequently when remote starting the vehicle in the dead of winter, I come out to a car that thinks its in the tropics blasting the AC. Takes about 10-15 minutes of driving to correct itself.

Sorry for the long rant post...most of these are smaller concerns, and I actually just purchased the MAX Care warranty for 6/60,000 because I think with its track record so far, its almost a no brainer. Just again, if there are some more seasoned owners that can weigh in on what are some good options. Thanks again.
Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
The radiator issue isnā€™t normal. They need to correct that again. And clunking isnā€™t normal either. Anything that sounds or feels different from the day you bought it should be addressed by a dealer while under warranty.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
Those aren't normal problems. The blue puff and 'clunk' in the drivetrain would make me want to get out of the vehicle. Every vehicle I buy, the first few years are observation and that's the window for me to decide if I want to 'be alone' with it.
Go with your gut, it's nagging you for a reason. Good call on the Max Care. I suggest you use that extra time to get top dollar out of it and move on.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

You have three different types of issues intersecting:
  1. Normal operation ā€œissuesā€ - the climate control not holding the desired temperature is a well documented issue; it appears to be just how it is.
  2. Dealer issues - the oil change and tire rotation issues are strictly the dealerā€™s doing. Sounds like you have a shitty dealer.
  3. Poor product quality issues - a blown radiator, faulty Uconnect, vague steering, clunky front end are all shoddy design, assembly and/or manufacture.
Unfortunately, with a shitty dealer it is difficult to get past that to get anything fixed. My advise is try your luck with another dealer and go from there.

Good luck.

Deleted member 59498

Any other dealers around to go to? Damn that is crazy, I might hunt down CEO's phone number or something at that point.

7) Climate control doesn't know what temp it is outside. Fairly frequently when remote starting the vehicle in the dead of winter, I come out to a car that thinks its in the tropics blasting the AC. Takes about 10-15 minutes of driving to correct itself.

I did laugh a bit on that one though.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Keep bringing it in just to get all your complaints on record. @JeepCares should be able to help light a fire under their ass.

OP
OP

rocksarntpeople

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to everyone for the solid advice.

In regards to the dealers, I have been 2/3 witch are in a reasonable distance (within 30 minutes of me). I have yet to branch out further than that, but I find it ludicrous that I have to drive an hour + to get my vehicle serviced properly.

I will admit, I come from the German car world, and so this is all quite different than what I have been used to for the last 15 years of vehicle ownership hahah

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks to everyone for the solid advice.

In regards to the dealers, I have been 2/3 witch are in a reasonable distance (within 30 minutes of me). I have yet to branch out further than that, but I find it ludicrous that I have to drive an hour + to get my vehicle serviced properly.

I will admit, I come from the German car world, and so this is all quite different than what I have been used to for the last 15 years of vehicle ownership hahah
Thanks for giving us a shout-out @Black Jeep Convertible !

@rocksarntpeople -- We're terribly sorry to hear about your experience thus far and we'd be more than willing to look into it further so we can make it a more positive experience moving forward. For your convenience, to find a dealer nearby just head over to https://www.jeep.com/find-dealer.html. This tool allows you to modify your search according to location, services needed, and more. If you'd like additional support once you've chosen a Jeep dealer to work with, please feel free to send out @JeepCares team a private message! Thanks.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve owned Jeeps for 25 years: dealer service has worsened as Jeeps got more expensive.

I absolutely love my Wrangler, but if Toyota offered me a viable alternative, Iā€™d be hard pressed to buy another Jeep.

OP
OP

rocksarntpeople

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve owned Jeeps for 25 years: dealer service has worsened as Jeeps got more expensive.

I absolutely love my Wrangler, but if Toyota offered me a viable alternative, Iā€™d be hard pressed to buy another Jeep.
I just think that there shouldn't be both a lack of quality control to this degree, and a lack of willingness to address it on a vehicle that costs what it does.

While I will say there are some great high points to the Wrangler, there are some serious low ones and this truck is not even 2 years old yet, so I can only imagine what is to come. hahah
Sponsored