Sponsored

Advice on Horn Upgrade

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Update: I'll try a bunch of horn upgrades later this week, and will post an update.
Most auto parts stores and or Amazon should carry the FIAMM brand, Freeway Blaster low note and high note horns or something similar. They are similar looking to most factory high note/low note horns, but are slightly louder. Plenty loud.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
We aim for the trail, but drive on the road. And too often, on the road we encounter distracted and dangerous drivers. To wake them up, I'd need a horn that's better than the puny one supplied by Jeep.

Any advice?
A set of these will work:

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Horn Upgrade 1604685739526

12hefft

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle JL 2020
Do you have the AUX Switches installed? They can be programmed to be a momentary switch for things like horns.
No sadly, have the Willys sport model. Was thinking about getting some after-market ones if that is the best route to go.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Was thinking about getting some after-market ones if that is the best route to go.
That should be easy. Some of them even come with the button and the wire.

I ordered a couple, and will share the results next week.

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wolo Big Bad Max

If you get one that works.

The wolo bad boy is loud but high pitched like a euro cart.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We aim for the trail, but drive on the road. And too often, on the road we encounter distracted and dangerous drivers. To wake them up, I'd need a horn that's better than the puny one supplied by Jeep.

Any advice?
I've used Stebel Nautilus compact air horns to great (if thankfully infrequent) effect on my motorcycles. The Nautilus is the original from which low quality clones like the Wolo "Bad Boy" come from.

A standard automotive 12V 30A relay will be required so that the Stebel's operating amperage doesn't overwhelm the [generally] thin OEM horn wiring.

A small snap-in snorkel is usually provided. This part allows the installer to use vinyl tubing for remote compressor air intake, if required for his application.

A mounting solution, specific to the vehicle in question, does usually need to be configured. Brackets, etc. aren't provided with the Nautilus.

PM me if you have any Qs.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Wolo Big Bad Max

If you get one that works.

The wolo bad boy is loud but high pitched like a euro cart.
I had this on my Speed3, loved how loud it was! The only thing I didn't like is when the car would beep when locked, in the cold it didn't beep, more of a sigh. Otherwise it was great

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Thanks! Just ordered it.
It was an oversight on my part to omit suggesting a wiring harness to make the installation easier. The ad copy says "without relay", yet there is one plainly evident in the photo. Anyway, a spare relay can be added to the order, if desired.

Let us know how it works out for you. :like:

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Did you ever finish an install? Weee trying to replace mine now and the replacement isn’t plug and play. I hate to cut off the the oem plug, but can’t find info on other options.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Ismor

We're trying to replace mine now and the replacement isn’t plug and play. I hate to cut off the the oem plug, but can’t find info on other options.
Can you provide photos of what you're working with, and/or the issue(s) that disallow plug-and-play installation? That would help us understand what might help you here.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
@Ismor

Can you provide photos of what you're working with, and/or the issue(s) that disallow plug-and-play installation? That would help us understand what might help you here.
Thank you!
Good idea!
The top 2 are the plugs that are on the jeep from the factory. The third photo is the replacement horn-has just 2 cords/leads. I guess we can just cut and splice? Wasn’t sure if there were other replacement horns that came with the connection plug?

88A84881-56F5-4182-AA92-DE5EED0FD55B.jpeg

9DC2A73C-A058-4D73-A4D9-319BC43A5E31.jpeg

0B28F49A-9B25-4ADA-A4B4-9C1DB46DE86D.jpeg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The first is the plug that is on the jeep from the factory. The second photo is the replacement horn-has just 2 cords/leads. I guess we can just cut and splice? Wasn’t sure if there were other replacement horns that came with the connection plug?

9DC2A73C-A058-4D73-A4D9-319BC43A5E31.jpeg
0B28F49A-9B25-4ADA-A4B4-9C1DB46DE86D.jpeg
Ah. There it is. :)

I was expecting simple female spade connectors on the factory connection, which would in turn mate with male spades that are crimped on the horn's positive and negative wires evident in the second photo. The proprietary connector for the factory horn complicates things a bit.

You'll need a matching connector to attach to the horn wires, unless you choose to cut off the factory plug and simply cut and splice as you mention. That's likely the easy solution, since it's just a two-wire connection (paying attention to + and -, of course.)

The foregoing applies to each individual horn installation.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
HELLA Dual tones sound really good, and you can remove and custom paint the grilles.
Sponsored