Sponsored

Advice on Horn Upgrade

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
We aim for the trail, but drive on the road. And too often, on the road we encounter distracted and dangerous drivers. To wake them up, I'd need a horn that's better than the puny one supplied by Jeep.

Any advice?
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Please don’t. This has NEVER been beneficial to assist a distracted or dangerous driver. It is OFTEN the instigation of aggressive or road rage behavior. If you want to have one because it makes you chuckle or feel better, say so. But it’s not going to help anyone be a better or more attentive driver in any way. Just piss people off or perhaps startle them into doing something dangerous or retaliatory. Including innocent folks in the vicinity that have nothing to do with the distracted driver you’re attempting to “help”.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I don't have my JL yet, but on my last two cars I've ran Hella Supertones. I plan on taking mine off my WRX when I sell it and install them on the JL. Usually with relays you can keep the OEM horn active and have this as an additional sound. They're loud enough where you'll definitely be heard, but not train-horn loud!

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't have my JL yet, but on my last two cars I've ran Hella Supertones.
I heard that recommendation, but not for a JL. Do you have a sense of whether they fit in the engine? Seems to be tight space there.

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I heard that recommendation, but not for a JL. Do you have a sense of whether they fit in the engine? Seems to be tight space there.
Unfortunately I'm not any help there. Once I get my JL I'm happy to let you know!

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Please don’t.
I respect your view, but this hasn't been my experience. For example, a car was swaying into my lane. A little beep, and the driver corrected. When I pass her, I noticed she was holding a phone in her right hand.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
There's plenty of space around or behind the grill area. You can make it work somehow. I ran the same horns on my 69 and on my STi. They're a little high pitched, but work great.

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There's plenty of space around or behind the grill area. You can make it work somehow. I ran the same horns on my 69 and on my STi. They're a little high pitched, but work great.
That's good to know. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ismor

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Update: I'll try a bunch of horn upgrades later this week, and will post an update.

12hefft

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle JL 2020
Not sure if y'all can help but I have a novelty horn I am hoping to install in the wrangler, trying to figure out how to install, where to add a second horn button, etc. Any advice?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Not sure if y'all can help but I have a novelty horn I am hoping to install in the wrangler, trying to figure out how to install, where to add a second horn button, etc. Any advice?
Do you have the AUX Switches installed? They can be programmed to be a momentary switch for things like horns.
Sponsored