Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Also, curious... has anyone tried one of these engine creepers as a cheaper version of the TLP?
Yes. It's called the Freedom Jack. https://www.freedom-jack.com/ I own it and it's an excellent product. It requires a separately purchased crane, which you can pick up at Harbor Freight for $100.

Does anyone know what the 2021 hardtops are weighing in at?
The hard top minus the Freedom panels on the JL is at about 100 pounds, lighter than the JK version. It still requires 4 hands for all but the strongest and biggest of people to take off.
Sponsored

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
I really wanted a Top Lift Pro, but didn’t want to spend $1k. I also wanted to be able to move the top around in my garage/unfinished basement area, so ratchet straps were out. Saw a few reviews for the Freedom-Jack, and figured why not give it a try. Can’t say enough good things about it. I picked up a Harbor Freight engine hoist with a 20% off coupon and the freedom jack, for less than half the price of the Top Lift Pro. The only downside I have found, is you cannot close the back glass for storage like a TLP.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner E1E69766-482C-4841-B8A6-3E7D1198D222

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner EDDEF900-E007-4994-BDC1-0B2439783622

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner 369BD7CA-CB18-435D-91EC-6A2D5008EA33

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner 46BFD2E4-5923-4609-BDA6-40A05A4809E2

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I can’t do a hoist system in my garage unfortunately!
And that's why I bought the TLP. It stores it perfectly in our small garage. I've had mine for about a year and I'm glad I bought it.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just found someone selling the TopLiftPro from 2019. I’ve seen some say that the TopLift may have changed some for the newer JL’s and a 4” gap vs 8” gap between posts. Anyone have any issues using an older version TLP with a JL?
Possibly, you will get your TopLiftPro related questions answered by forum members.

@TopLiftPros is a forum Sponsor... You can click here > @TopLiftPros and message them with your ?'s.

Having used the Top Lift Pro and Freedon Jack, I feel the pick of the litter for various reasons to include resale someday is the Top Lift Pro. Yes, the TLP it is a tad pricey.... but you will recoop lots of those $ at resale time.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I really wanted a Top Lift Pro, but didn’t want to spend $1k. I also wanted to be able to move the top around in my garage/unfinished basement area, so ratchet straps were out. Saw a few reviews for the Freedom-Jack, and figured why not give it a try. Can’t say enough good things about it. I picked up a Harbor Freight engine hoist with a 20% off coupon and the freedom jack, for less than half the price of the Top Lift Pro. The only downside I have found, is you cannot close the back glass for storage like a TLP.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner 46BFD2E4-5923-4609-BDA6-40A05A4809E2

Allow me to take Mike's shared recommendation with me of the Freedom Jack one step further.

That same Harbor Freight that we both got our cranes on sale at....I also bought some big ole tires I put on the engine crane so I could easily move the jack (with hard top on it or not) to places with less smooth foundations than blacktop or Mike's cement driveway.

I'm not saying that my engine crane can conquer Moab, but it can laugh about going places a top lift pro (TLP) stock cannot.

Of course you could change the wheels on a TLP too, but the engine crane's pigeon toed footprint creates an exponentially more balanced ride with lower center of gravity.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
BTW @Jeapleap, those pigeon toed feet will definitely fit under the vehicle such that if you want to position the engine crane in front of and facing the vehicle in a garage to save space while the hard top resides above the engine bay...

much like you see here only inside a garage. This picture is from the Freedom Jack website:

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice on Hardtop for Soon to be Owner 1624240498269

Also, a trivially priced piece of PVC can be placed on the hydraulic shaft for long term storage of the top this way, just in case you're worried about the crane losing air pressure, say, storing the top that way for weeks on end.

From the extreme end of the Freedom Jack to the back of the JLU is slightly longer than the same positioning on the Top Lift Pro....inches--if that's of concern.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Appreciate all the help everyone. I found a used TLP locally which I’m gonna snag and give it a try. Some concerns if there have been adjustments since this one was purchased 2 years ago but worth the shot at the price!
Sponsored