Sponsored

Advice on going from a GC to JLUS (option wise)

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
This might be a dumb question but for those who have had a late model Grand Cherokee (MY14+) with the 8.4 and now have the 7 inch Uconnect in their JL, was there an adjustment period for you or do you miss the 8.4 screen? Also do you miss not having the proximity entry? I'll be getting into a JLU Sport in the next few months as a Sahara or Rubicon are out of my budget range. This will be my first Wrangler so I know there are going to some compromises made coming from the GC but those two, especially the Uconnect, are my biggest concerns (if you can call them that). Thanks for the input in advance.
Sponsored

GPsGeeps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2015 WK2 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This might be a dumb question but for those who have had a late model Grand Cherokee (MY14+) with the 8.4 and now have the 7 inch Uconnect in their JL, was there an adjustment period for you or do you miss the 8.4 screen? Also do you miss not having the proximity entry? I'll be getting into a JLU Sport in the next few months as a Sahara or Rubicon are out of my budget range. This will be my first Wrangler so I know there are going to some compromises made coming from the GC but those two, especially the Uconnect, are my biggest concerns (if you can call them that). Thanks for the input in advance.
Can't speak to the Uconnect, as I have the 8.4 screen that comes with the Rubicon. But I do really wish I'd have gotten the proximity entry option. Badly! LOL. I've gotten so spoiled getting into the WK2, that almost every time I get into the JL I pull the handle before I remember that I didn't. It's stupid that it bothers me, but I can't help it.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
The only adjustment I had to deal with was the lack of lane departure warning. I don't think it'll be too difficult to get over the 7" screen as the UI looks somewhat similar IIRC. The proximity entry may take a while since the key stays in my pocket at all times.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I can't speak for the transition from the Grand Cherokee, as I came from Ford.
The 8.4 with premium sound system was important to me, I LOVE my music, I am a weekend musician, so a good stereo is always important to me.

I really do miss the proximity locks. I total missed that option because I mistakenly presumed Keyless Entry and Start would just include proximity locks.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
@Impy5 I have a 2015 GC with 8.4 and a 2019 JLR with 7 inch display. Not a big difference. I actually like the fact that the JL let's you see the backup camera without having to put in Reverse. I will probably miss the Built in NAV at some point , but not an issue for daily driving.

However, I absolutely miss the proximity entry!

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Have both, didnt care about the proximity keys, so used to using the clicker on my older cars, plus will be installing tube doors. Got the Sahara with the 8.4 for the Nav and alpine and also the blind spot.

Reality is you will adapt, get the heated seats and steering wheel, a must for the winter.
Also opted for the cloth seats, didnt want the hot leather with the top dowwn.

OP
OP
Impy5

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate the feedback. I know they're absolutely first world problems and I'll adjust, just wanted to get some feedback. Worst case scenario is I trade up in a couple of years when I'm able to afford more vehicle. ( Two kids in daycare sucks up a lot income)
Sponsored