Advice on buying dealer inventory

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
We have been considering trading in a low mileage 2014 JK Rubicon and a 2017 Renegade for a JL Rubicon Xtreme. We were planning on ordering one like we typically do. For awhile, I was not seeing many Xtreme's in transit. Then heard the rumor Jeep was pushing only taking orders for Rubicons with the Xtreme package. Recently, I started seeing a few coming to my area. Even more recently there seems to be a swath of GEKKO green that is coming. It almost seems like Jeep possibly did an incentive fo dealers on GEKKO.

There is one we are interested in. I spoke to the dealer and confirmed it is dealer ordered and available. It's not how I would build one and MSRP is a little higher as a result @ 65K. I am more motivated to trade-in even though I can get more selling private party and balance things out with the tax savings. I likely could not come up with any Jeep golden ticket incentives in time. I did some back of the napkin math and came up with the following ball-park.

65,000 MSRP
5% below invoice 57,857.85

Sales Price $59,000 ( Closer to 3% below invoice )
Rubi Trade in allowance $36K
Renegade Trade in $21K

Difference $2000
Doc Fee $500
Title Fee $4
Plate Trans $12
Registration $8
Tax 8.7% = $219.59

OTD = @2743.59

I maybe was a little soft on the trade-ins favoring the dealer. Does this seem realistic? Should I be a little more aggressive?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
I think that your Math, looks pretty Good.. Maybe try to get the Dealer to throw in a extender warranty to close the Deal...

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
When people are waiting 2-3 months getting their orders in, and not much inventory on the lot, I doubt the dealer is willing to go below MSRP.

Of course we can fudge the trade-in numbers all day long to make the selling price look low. But for the sake of your bottom line, do the math on private sale vs trade-in & tax savings. Get a selling price without mixing in the trade-in values to get a true sense of how much you are paying.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If it’s still on the lot the day after black Friday you may be able to do that. My guess is that while you have been thinking about it, it sold.

That having been said, a Gecko Gladiator showed up at the dealer closest to me. It's parked out front. That color just looks off on a pickup, like it should be at the airport with an emergency lightbar on the roof.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
As some have said. My concern is dealer motivation because of inventory. I was thinking the best shot would be getting a deal done before it arrives since it's still in transit.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Challenge with buying off-the-lot is that the unwanted options offset any savings. And...you'll never get as good a discount as on an ordered unit. Order (Earnhardt in Gilbert gave me 5% under) and be patient. Instant gratification always comes with strings attached.

I sold my JK in less than 24 hours, and almost had a bidding war. Try it.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'd be surprised if they sell it at MSRP. They will probably mark it up. It could also be sold in advance. You'd just need to check. If your trades are perfect, maybe they could fudge the numbers higher there. You'll never know until you ask.

From all you've likely read here, you know it will sell quick. Even though you are new, most lurk here and read for awhile before joining. If you haven't, Wranglers sell many times before they even hit the lot. Many in dealer stock are selling for $3-5k over the sticker price as there are very few in inventory nationwide.

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
What is somewhat different here in the Phoenix Metro area, we have so many Jeep Dealers. Not sure, but maybe 8 to 10, that create local competition. When one lives in a area, where there is only one or two Dealers, then most likely, they will not be offering discounts. But rather, I (Dealer) have it, so if you want it, then pay my price.

Last edited:

Sponsored

QCJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR, 2019 Challenger Hellcat
Challenge with buying off-the-lot is that the unwanted options offset any savings. And...you'll never get as good a discount as on an ordered unit. Order (Earnhardt in Gilbert gave me 5% under) and be patient. Instant gratification always comes with strings attached.

When did you place your order and who did you deal with?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When did you place your order and who did you deal with?
Justin Sutherland

Ordered 7/3/20. Delivered 9/25/20

The non-pandemic timeline to AZ is usually 6 weeks.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
If they do that deal you will be let's just say, not very intelligent to not pull the trigger. Like many have posted, under MSRP??? Nope. Not on units in inventory.

Sam

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon
What is somewhat different here in the Phoenix Metro area, we have so many Jeep Dealers. Not sure, but maybe 8 to 10, that create local competition. When one lives on a area, where there is only one or two Dealers, then most likely, they will not be offering discounts. But rather, I (Dealer) have it, so if you want it, then pay my price.
I am in Tucson. I tried a sales guy in Phoenix on the "list here" for an order. Started hot out the gate and then fizzled out, silent. I was hoping with the swath of Gekko's in transit to the PDX/TUC area it might not be a total PITA :)

OP
OP

wponder

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Rubicon

Yeah, I am not in a rush. If something happens it happens if not, no biggie. Both our trade-in's are paid off and we would just be reducing cars since my Rubicon is not my daily.
Sponsored