Geaux Tigers

First Name
Kyley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery and Yukon - buying JL
Hi All,
First post on this forum. I’m buying a 2020 4d JL. I was able to briefly test drive the 4 cyl and 6 cyl gas. I haven’t been able to drive the diesel yet.

I have previously owned two wranglers one 1988 wrangler with the straight 6 and later a 2004 Rubicon. The 04 Rubicon was not great around town.

That said I have a few questions:

1. Engine - what’s the consensus on 4, 6 or diesel - my use: mostly light trail and two to three hour drives to trails in AZ. No serious crawling.
2. Sahara vs Rubicon - I have yet to drive the current Rubicon, but have the Sahara. Is the current model still feel slower compared to Sahara?
3. Seats - really like the leather - any down sides to consider?
4. Options - that one touch top has the wife sold so it’s going to happen. Any other must haves?
5. Ordering: I’m going to order it so we get exactly the options desired. Any advice to offer?

I drove the Sahara 4 and Sport 6 and was SHOCKED at how smooth they both felt. Honestly the 4 felt a little more responsive but 6 is much simpler under the hood. Either would do the trick. Look forward to driving the diesel.

thanks!
Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
1. Reliability would go to the 3.6 the 2.0 and diesel is untested or not proven yet. The 2.0 has a good torque band the diesel is probably the best performing one for offroading.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Hi All,
First post on this forum. I’m buying a 2020 4d JL. I was able to briefly test drive the 4 cyl and 6 cyl gas. I haven’t been able to drive the diesel yet.

I have previously owned two wranglers one 1988 wrangler with the straight 6 and later a 2004 Rubicon. The 04 Rubicon was not great around town.

That said I have a few questions:

1. Engine - what’s the consensus on 4, 6 or diesel - my use: mostly light trail and two to three hour drives to trails in AZ. No serious crawling.
2. Sahara vs Rubicon - I have yet to drive the current Rubicon, but have the Sahara. Is the current model still feel slower compared to Sahara?
3. Seats - really like the leather - any down sides to consider?
4. Options - that one touch top has the wife sold so it’s going to happen. Any other must haves?
5. Ordering: I’m going to order it so we get exactly the options desired. Any advice to offer?

I drove the Sahara 4 and Sport 6 and was SHOCKED at how smooth they both felt. Honestly the 4 felt a little more responsive but 6 is much simpler under the hood. Either would do the trick. Look forward to driving the diesel.

thanks!
I'd skip the 2.0T I really haven't heard a lot of complaints, but I think the tried and true 3.6L is a better bet. If you have a bunch of frequent short trips or city milage with out at least a weekly hiway run to stretch it's legs and allow the DPF to clear out, I'd avoid the diesel. I have a Rubi and would certainly recommend it. I like my cloth seats and would highly recommend the LED and infotainment packages. And finally, I'd recommend a new football team, Roll Tide!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Welcome!

I love the 8.4” Alpine system and would get it again.

My leather is wearing well. I like how easy it is to clean. I have the black and have the doors off and top down spring through fall. Which leads me to...

The cold weather package is a must-have for me, even in Sacramento, because it extends the doors off/top down season. And I’m a wimp :CWL:.

There are a lot of opinions on the engines. I got the 3.6 because it’s more simple and I like it. Others prefer the 2T. There is no wrong answer.

Have fun and post pics when you get your Jeep :rock:

OP
OP

Geaux Tigers

First Name
Kyley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery and Yukon - buying JL
Thanks gents! Can’t wait to get the decisions made and get it ordered in the next couple of weeks.

Digital - y’all can’t have all the natty’s! ...just most of them obviously. . Should be another great year in the west next year.

Sponsored

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
I have leather seats with bartact covers. It would have been cheaper to get cloth seats and bartact covers.

I went with the 3.6L and 8.4 infotainment screen. Recommend both. LED lights are really nice. Wish I had the tow package from the factory. If I lived up north I would have added the cold weather package.

Everything else is easy to add or change.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
3.6 and 8 spd auto is the best combo in any wrangler models. i prefer cloth vs leather. couldnt tell you anything on the options because i dont have them except xm radio and a/c. sky top is nice but the hard top works for me.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
No bad choice for engine or trim, just different.

Must have options for me: tow, led, cold weather, 8.4/alpine. Proximity is becoming a must have, it is really nice.

Might be a bit harder to get as good of deal when ordering vs stale inventory but you don’t have to pay for options you don’t care for.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Welcome to the forum. I researched for A good while. Solid two years. I knew wrangler was my next vehicle. Test drove many. Both gas engines for the ‘19 and ‘20.

Like you, I don’t plan on serious trails. Went with Sahara 2.0, cloth seats, proximity locks, alpine system.

Have a mix of driving.

Added 2” Mopar lift, 20” wheels with 35” tires: 9/10. 35s are TOYO Open Country A/T II XTREME.

We love it. The ride is great. Driving is FUN again.

I did look at the one touch top. Only reason I did not go with that was the price.

Good luck on you decision!!!

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Go for the Rubicon-- better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. 4:1 crawl, lockers, more clearance on the fenders, rock rails (which I would/have replace with rails with stand-offs of some kind), 4:10 gears, 33 in. tires. More clearance than Sahara. 8.4 display with Alpine stereo w/sub. Heated seats. If you get the Sahara, you are going to want to make it into a pseudo Rubicon anyways, might as well get the factory warranty behind it all. As for leather vs cloth-- personal preference. Oh and Billet Silver-- as everyone here will attest too, it is the more capable color. LOL.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
I'd skip the 2.0T I really haven't heard a lot of complaints, but I think the tried and true 3.6L is a better bet. If you have a bunch of frequent short trips or city milage with out at least a weekly hiway run to stretch it's legs and allow the DPF to clear out, I'd avoid the diesel. I have a Rubi and would certainly recommend it. I like my cloth seats and would highly recommend the LED and infotainment packages. And finally, I'd recommend a new football team, Roll Tide!
I'd skip the 6 cyl, I really haven't heard a lot of complaints, but I think the tried and true 2.0 is a better bet. If you have a bunch of frequent short trips or city mileage with out at least a weekly hiway run to stretch it's legs and allow the DPF to clear out, I'd avoid the diesel. I have 2 Saharas and would certainly recommend them. I like my leather seats and would highly recommend the LED and infotainment packages. And finally, I'd recommend a new football team, Roll Tide!
The second paragraph is the correct one.

Last edited:

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
The stuff you’ll miss if you don’t get it: 8.4 system, LED package, And towing package (the aux switches are really the bonus there).

I got the 3.6 because it is reliable and simpler than the others. Also, in seeing the glut of 2.0 on the lots- I’m thinking resale is going to factor in too.

Last, I had a Sahara and loved it. I traded it for a Rubi and really loved it. The styling differences alone make it worth it. I drive a 25 mile commute each day and didn’t notice hardly any difference in the ride between both. Maybe if the roads were all beaten up, but the Rubi is refined either way.

hope that helps.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
I’d avoid the Sahara at this point just because of the eTorque systems. My 2020 Wrangler has the 2.0T and so far its been fantastic. The fuel economy for a Wrangler is great, torque is great, and been reliable so far. Either engine is fine.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I always got leather seats before; got cloth this time. JL cloth seats look fine, but they are a total b*tch to keep clean compared to leather. My JL has only 3,000 miles: someone dropped tiny chocolate bits on the rear seat; it’s turned into one huge mess.

I got the Katzkin leather on Amazon for $600; I’m replacing the OE cloth with leather.
Sponsored