Sponsored

Advice: OEM half doors vs aftermarket tube doors???

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Need advice from you jeepies. I have a jlur soon to be delivered (hopefully). My intentions are to hopefully have the hardtop off as much as possible. All though I really like the look of doors off I believe for me some semblance of a door might be a better fit.

I am considering ordering and adding the half doors now as a part of the deal. Or obviously the alternative is buying tube doors. I do like when EAG door with the netting.

Anyone have thoughts to help first time jeeper?

As I know cost always is a factor, but for this question I am more looking for functionality, looks, ease of switching etc….

Thank you in advance for your input.
Sponsored

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
From what I have seen, the factory half doors are the most "finished" doors available. Looks like everything is essentially in tact other than the door detent. They are spendy though. I think the factory half doors look the best and would love to get a set if they start selling them outright rather than packaged with an order.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
For day to day around town I would say half doors. They have the soft uppers so you can still have a "full" door when you want it. Having driven top off doors off on the highway, I know I would like the option to "roll up the window" with the soft uppers.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I'd go with the factory half doors. They look the best and can do both with the supplied removable uppers.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Need advice from you jeepies. I have a jlur soon to be delivered (hopefully). My intentions are to hopefully have the hardtop off as much as possible. All though I really like the look of doors off I believe for me some semblance of a door might be a better fit.

I am considering ordering and adding the half doors now as a part of the deal. Or obviously the alternative is buying tube doors. I do like when EAG door with the netting.

As I know cost always is a factor, but for this question I am more looking for functionality, looks, ease of switching etc….

I have the tube doos and I love them. For me, spending 4k on Half doors is crazy IMO even though they look awesome. This is a difficult one but whatever choice you make, your Rubicon will look awesome.

524642EE-8325-4F1B-9483-1D9860E1DD23.jpeg

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Didn’t the JCR tube doors just get revised to use the bestop soft uppers? That might be an option to think about.

For me it would be tube doors I love having the doors off on the highway. It makes my 45 minute commute infinitely more enjoyable.

OP
OP
Odierub

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Fantastic looking rig Herson. I think I’m leaning towards the tube doors. Thinking I am leaning the way of the openness. Don’t think I will feel the contrast from the full door to the half door to justify the cost.

i appreciate all the input from the jl forums. Everyone has been great about reaching out. Now if someone can get me my darn jeep here!! Thanks

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Have you driven doors off before? If not, try it a bit before you spend $1000s on a solution. You might just enjoy full doors off. My opinion, all those other things are just unnecessary farkles.

OP
OP
Odierub

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Perfect sense Chris. As it looks to me there will ample time to empty pockets.😂

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
it also depends on when you may be driving without your main doors. If you are driving to the office or places that you may have nicer clothes on, the half doors are a better option. I found this out when a truck hit a puddle when I had tube doors on … not a pretty sight.

If you are using them as a “weekend warrior, “ go with the tube doors. If you want a solution that you can use for a big chunk of the year through many conditions, go with the half door.

Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392

I would try to add the half doors to your order if your able, they would be more practical. And as far as I can tell if you have Proximity locks, blind spot monitors, and heated mirrors those will also come on your half doors.
I have a set of tube doors for my Tj, there good for holding mirrors but that’s about it besides looks.
IMO the half door give you a much cleaner “true Jeep look” while the tube doors give you a more rugged look.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ve done the top off doors off thing and it is fun-for a while. Around town or on a trail 👍, for running down the highway, not so much. As noted above, tube/no doors and rain/ puddles is not a great combo. I’d definitely go half doors and keep the uppers “handy”😏

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I’ve done the top off doors off thing and it is fun-for a while. Around town or on a trail 👍, for running down the highway, not so much. As noted above, tube/no doors and rain/ puddles is not a great combo. I’d definitely go half doors and keep the uppers “handy”😏
I believe you but $4k (or $4400) seems like an insane amount of money for that usage. There are sooo many better ways to spend that cash, but I guess if you have it falling out of your wallet…
Sponsored