Sponsored

Advice Needed - Trade Rubicon (family growing)?

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Need some advice. My wife and I live in NYC where we can only keep 1 car. That 1 car has been a 2019 JLU Rubicon. Black on black, every option available except the painted top. I'm running 35 inch KM3s on AEV wheels, Teraflex tire carrier. Some small things here and there.

Long story short, when we do drive it's longer distances. Only have 3K miles on the odometer. Problem is the ride is so rough, my 18 month old almost always throws up in the car - meanwhile our second baby is due in 2 months.

Is it the KM3s that the ride is so rough? I'm in final stages of a potential Grand Cherokee swap - just so not excited to be driving a Grand Cherokee like everyone else. Looked at an SRT but lease on it still ended up being over $1K. Can't justify that much for a Jeep.

Hate to get rid of the Rubi, wondering if I fork over more for KO2s if ride will improve or if should just get into a Grand Cherokee.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think the consensus on the forum will be to keep the Rubicon and get rid of the babies. Maybe trade them in for a lift. But I could be wrong.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Tires might help. Might. KO2's are quiet enough on the street so that would definitely help. Can you get to a Jeep dealer and try a stock Rubi with KO2's on and see what it's like?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
The Rubicon stock suspension is very tight in my opinion. I find it pounds me in the ass a lot when I drive the (terrible) downtown city streets. Arguably, it's not much worse than my old pickup, but lets just say I don't have hot beverages in the Jeep when driving in the city!

Maybe an upgraded (but soft and cushy) suspension would work?

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon stock suspension is very tight in my opinion. I find it pounds me in the ass a lot when I drive the (terrible) downtown city streets. Arguably, it's not much worse than my old pickup, but lets just say I don't have hot beverages in the Jeep when driving in the city!

Maybe an upgraded (but soft and cushy) suspension would work?
Maybe you're driving in the wrong part of the city?

I'm sorry, that wasn't nice. I just couldn't help myself lol. :lipssealed:

For the OP, have you driven the 18 month old in other vehicles? Could be they are just prone to motion sickness. Both my boys were riding in my CJ from the time they were infants with never an issue. I'm thinking you would be sick if you traded and the kiddo still threw up in the GC.

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mud terrain tires will always ride rougher and be noisier than an all terrain tire. I would suggest looking for a AT tire in a C -load category and that should help smooth things out first.

Sponsored

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
Cheaper to go back stock on your rims/tires than trade. I have a Moab with 285/70/17 ridge grapplers. It isn’t very rough and I put 3 kids across in it.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Need some advice. My wife and I live in NYC where we can only keep 1 car. That 1 car has been a 2019 JLU Rubicon. Black on black, every option available except the painted top. I'm running 35 inch KM3s on AEV wheels, Teraflex tire carrier. Some small things here and there.

Long story short, when we do drive it's longer distances. Only have 3K miles on the odometer. Problem is the ride is so rough, my 18 month old almost always throws up in the car - meanwhile our second baby is due in 2 months.

Is it the KM3s that the ride is so rough? I'm in final stages of a potential Grand Cherokee swap - just so not excited to be driving a Grand Cherokee like everyone else. Looked at an SRT but lease on it still ended up being over $1K. Can't justify that much for a Jeep.

Hate to get rid of the Rubi, wondering if I fork over more for KO2s if ride will improve or if should just get into a Grand Cherokee.
My son had a similar problem with a different vehicle. His is a manual transmission. He researched it and found others with similar problems with manuals. He almost traded to an automatic, but fortunately his daughter eventually stopped getting sick in his car

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It all depends on your priorities. If comfort, reliability and safety are your biggest concerns, then there are much better SUVs or family cars out there ( & even better than the Grand Cherokee). I had similar issues 20 years ago (also, there was no 4 door unlimited); I got rid of my TJ and got a sedan. When my son turn 18, I came back to Wranglers and got a JKUS.