First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport s 1999 Cherokee Sport
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Gads I couldn't imagine 37s and 3.45 gears with a manual. Although I acknowledge I'm a little biased, always owned high torque engines with any manual rig I've owned, so I'm having a hard time getting used to this setup...haha
I got stuck in snow this last spring, late season sticky snow, and the poor thing couldn't even spin over the tires in reverse without revving it way up and side-stepping the clutch. Just too high geared. And 4LO in a rubi is so crazy low you don't have any wheel speed, which is a requirement to get out of a gigantic snowbank 100yds long.......fun times.
I think 37’s may turn the 6 speed into a 4 speed lol. I think I could do it for a month or two. I bought take off rubicon axles and after I paid the deal fell through but I bought 37’s already. So the plan I had initially of regearing the axles while off the vehicle and put everything on at once isn’t happening. I may give it a shot just to see how it goes temporarily.
Sponsored

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
New to forum, hello. Lots of great info here. I purchased a new Wrangler and intend to add several modifications for both aesthetics and function. In truth, 80-90% of use will be on paved surfaces. I will not be rock crawling and most of the off road use is camping and hunting. No deep mud holes (unless I screw up which is a real possibility). I know I am replacing bumpers, (bumpers adding 75# to front and 40# to back) going to either 33” or 35” tires, adding a winch and lights. Probably sliders eventually.

I am not mechanical at all so all work will have to be professionally done. What I am hoping to get from this forum/post is a list of things I need to make sure I consider as I add components and/or weight. I want to be as informed as possible so I don’t have to rely on a salesperson to tell me “what I need”.

If I lift, are spacers fine or do I need a full kit? Why?

I think I can get by without a lift for 33” and a 2” lift will get me to 35”. That sound right?

What special considerations do I need to think about since I have a manual transmission?

Any other thoughts on things I need to consider?

I am way more interested in doing this right than in doing this cheaply.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

782F4DF5-E290-4ED7-B467-26485E4336D8.jpeg
Nice rig.

I have a JLU sport with a manual and wheel it regularly. It’s very capable (I had 2 rubicon’s previously but knew I’d do serious modding to this one).
- The best mod was regearing. I don’t think 4.10 is low enough even for 33’s. I’m super happy with 4.56s and 33s (285/70 17) and will go up to 285/75 17 next. 72 mph at 2500 revs. I get 19 mpg on summer blend. Many are going 4.88 and are pleased too.
- A rubicon take off suspension (springs and shocks) with 1/2” Teraflex spacers netted me 1 & 7/8” of lift. That was for less than $250 in parts IIRC. I’ll add 1.5” spacers next. Someday I’ll get springs but for now I’m cash limited, and spacers do fine unless you’re looking for more flex. I do my own wrenching, but if I had to pay for labor, I’d save up and go with springs right from the start. Swapping suspension parts adds up if you’ve gotta pay for labor.
- I ran the 33s both before and after the rubicon suspension. With the sway bar connected only the rear tire lightly contacted the fender flares when flexing off road. I have aftermarket wheels with less backspacing though, and YMMV. I have since added rear 1/2” bumpstops to eliminate any rubbing.
- I have LoD rocker guards, and they’re an easy DIY (I know you said a shop was doing your mods, but this is pretty easy). I didn’t have to loosen the dreaded front body mount bolt that’s known to snap.

Definitely regear. It makes driving it much more enjoyable.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think 37’s may turn the 6 speed into a 4 speed lol. I think I could do it for a month or two. I bought take off rubicon axles and after I paid the deal fell through but I bought 37’s already. So the plan I had initially of regearing the axles while off the vehicle and put everything on at once isn’t happening. I may give it a shot just to see how it goes temporarily.
HAHA yeah 4th gear would be about max unless you were doing 95! But yes I think you could get away with it for a couple months. Tcase is so low geared, in 4LO it'd be fine in that regard, I would think. Post pics, these things look great with 37s

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
HAHA yeah 4th gear would be about max unless you were doing 95! But yes I think you could get away with it for a couple months. Tcase is so low geared, in 4LO it'd be fine in that regard, I would think. Post pics, these things look great with 37s
I’ll post some pictures in late December/January. I’m in Mexico till December 21st for work. So luckily I have some time to get a new plan together for axles.

OP
OP

mfinn628

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport Unlimited, 2003 TJ
He never mentioned lockers, all he is adding is some weight, which he can do and keep his sport suspension anyway. A beefier suspension will just do a better job at handling the added weight. $150 takeoffs, pay $400 to a shop for the suspension swap that's $550. Bumper install he can do, if not you can find shops to do it cheap for you. Now, trading in, he will lose a lot of cash since he is not gonna get what he paid for from the dealer, in fact he'd get even less than the actual value of the Jeep. Then the Rubicon without the metal bumpers is what? 10k more?. even if you throw in the regearing, it will be more expensive for the OP to trade in for a Rubicon that he actually doesn't even need.

Add to this that getting a good deal on a Rubicon is pretty hard, while Sports get discounted more. When I went to buy my Jeep I was seriously thinking about a Rubicon. I got my Sport + S with tech package, headliner, no slip rear diff, for about 15k less than they were giving me a Rubicon for. With the 15k extra I have a lot of cash to make a crawling beast if I wanted too. Trading in for a Rubicon will cost him a lot more.

Also, did you know the very capable JK Rubicon had 32in tires and only .3in more than a JL sport? the JL sport is an extremely capable Jeep, for camping/hunting and occasional off-roading? he has more than enough. I think it is a perfect fir for the OP and he can grow into wheeling as time goes by if he wants.

For my purposes I found the same thing. The difference in dollars Sport vs. Rubicon and what I will use jeep for pays for the mods I want to add and leave a couple dollars in the wallet.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mfinn628

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport Unlimited, 2003 TJ
Thank you all for the great and serious replies. Giving me a lot to think about. I am seriously inept with mechanical work so the chances of my doing any work correctly is very limited. Now to research what regearing will entail...................

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For my purposes I found the same thing. The difference in dollars Sport vs. Rubicon and what I will use jeep for pays for the mods I want to add and leave a couple dollars in the wallet.
You can't build a Rubicon for less than you can buy one, but considering he already owns it, his best bet is to find a reasonable shop and go from there. With decent 35" tires, a set of tire deflators, and a decent air pump, there is a lot he can accomplish without spending on lockers

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
You bought a Wrangler You already have a capable SUV, try it and you will see , and go on from there.
I had a stock Sahara with steel bumper, 2 inch spacer lift and 32” Rubicon wheel for off-roading.
Ok, it wasn’t Moab, but I could enjoy myself.
Don’t go wild, if it is only for camping.
You are limited at 3500 pds for pulling, try it first before re-gearing, and see for your self.

Billet_JLU

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
37’s on the stock sport axles with the MT. Around town the gearing isn’t bad. On the highway 4th gear is the max gear but it sits at a good rpm. I plan to regear in the future but I’m not in a rush to do it.

B35DD876-AFDD-47AB-939A-0CC5680FA808.jpeg
Sponsored