Advice? Lift + Tires on 2019 JL Moab

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

I got the 2019 JL Moab. Currently stock 33" KM2 on stock 17" black wheels. My plan originally was to lift it 2.5" and add 35" KM3s or KO2 on it. Was debating between 37" tires, but was told ride quality will suffer drastically.
I've come to decision that if Ima do it, I'm do it right and go with 37" tires, with possible 3.5" lift.

Advice needed on what things I'll need since I know the 3.5" lift will throw the Jeeps geometry off. I have the 3.45 axle gear ratio, so I know regearing will be needed. Anything else in addition to the lift+tires?

Everyone's advice is appreciated!

IMG_7216 2.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg
Sponsored

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I can't give you any advice since I'm in a similar situation. Let us know how it goes as I may eventually do the same.

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
3.5" lift with full kit...including front/rear adj track bar and adj control arms. I would suggest MetalCloak but that's cause I have it and like it.

You'll need to regear for sure. Also a Tazer or Flashcal. Also...probably need bigger brakes.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hi Everyone,

I got the 2019 JL Moab. Currently stock 33" KM2 on stock 17" black wheels. My plan originally was to lift it 2.5" and add 35" KM3s or KO2 on it. Was debating between 37" tires, but was told ride quality will suffer drastically.
I've come to decision that if Ima do it, I'm do it right and go with 37" tires, with possible 3.5" lift.

Advice needed on what things I'll need since I know the 3.5" lift will throw the Jeeps geometry off. I have the 3.45 axle gear ratio, so I know regearing will be needed. Anything else in addition to the lift+tires?

Everyone's advice is appreciated!

IMG_7216 2.jpg

IMG_7526.jpg
More experienced members will have all of the mechanical details, but the jump from 35s to 37s is exponentially more expensive. Or you can choose to just do the lift/tires and fix things as they break (but that will get old quick). You really should reconsider your decision. 35s will serve you (and your wallet) well.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Brakes? I do believe that the Moab and some Sahara's/Sports with the D44 rear have the same brakes as the Rubi.
The bigger brakes are needed to overcome to greater rolling mass of the heavier tires.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah..... steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, recovery gear..........
I thought that he was asking what else needs to be reinforced due to the 37s, but it certainly can be read both ways.

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
I can't give you any advice since I'm in a similar situation. Let us know how it goes as I may eventually do the same.
Just did it the other day, looks amazing and drive is similar to stock. Lost 8th gear for the most part, unless I'm going down a hill. Also lost about 1mpg. Enjoy it a lot more. Let me know if you have questions.

Dirt Tiger

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU rubicon
I went with a 3.5” metal cloak game changer. 37” ko2’s. And have driven it all over the place and love it. We recently took a trip to New Orleans and still drove the Jeep and as long as I maintained less than 75 the millage only took about 1.5 mpg hit from stock. Now if you try to run 80 it took a 3.5-4 mpg hit so we kept it under 75. With this set up I will say there was only a minor change from stock as I think the shocks are a little stiffer but nothing you wouldn’t expect from improving off-road capability.

EC3B0F9A-8025-4E98-BD3E-AC69A84BF07A.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind the MOAB still has a Dana 30 front axle. 37's might not be the best choice if you're actually out wheeling.

Edit: Whoops, guess I'm too late.

Sponsored

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Spec's are in my signature block. More pics in my garage.

I went straight to 37's. Didn't even think about 35's. DO NOT regret that decision in the least.

Lockers: our Moab has limited slip. Lockers are a challenge right now due to LSD. Give that time.
Regearing: TBH, it's at least $1500 (likely more depending on the shop you go to). Gas mileage is around 15 and that's mostly city. Much higher when we're on the highway. I don't see 8th, but we have 7 other gears and 8th is an overdrive gear. Gas mileage will improve some with a regear, but the reality is we won't see an ROI from a regear. I want to do lockers / regear at the same time. Because of the issues with finding a locker, I'm holding off on regear indefinitely.

Setup: I went with the Rock Krawler 3.5 Adventure Series with Fox Shocks. Ride is amazing. Similar to stock, but definitely more capable. The Adventure Series provides me a foundation to do upgrades later (X-Factor adjustable control arms later this year and I can do those myself). The Fuel Beasts DO rub as the backspacing is only 4.5 versus the 3.5 required by RK. Not gonna lie, but it is minor and only at full right turn lock. Considering spacers to address, but the poke I have now is perfect. And yes, I do wheel with this setup. Perfect (IMHO)

The look, that's up to you. I LOVE the look of 37's and the 3.5" lift. I get plenty of compliments on what we've done so far.

IMG_1834.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_9447.jpg

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Lift and tires done.

9D977EBF-79F3-4972-AA6C-D2F0234C9DE4.jpeg

0DC8923D-FCA9-43E6-B049-AE5DE675019C.jpeg
How does it drive with the light 37s and stock gearing? Not that bad? With stock wheels and those tires you should be around 90 per wheel and tire. Not bad for a 37 inch setup.

sierrarockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU, 2017 Jeep JK
Vehicle Showcase
Going from a 35" to a 37" tire, by itself, should not affect ride quality. Lifting the jeep another inch though may affect it a bit. Slightly steeper control arm angle and possible reduced caster if you don't use adjustable control arms. For the most part the difference in a 2.5" vs a 3.5" is negligible. Something else to keep in mind is that not all 37" are created equal. A 37" bfg KO2 runs small and is probably close to the same weight if not lighter than some of the heavier 35s on the market (some of the Toyo and Nitto 35s are pretty heavy).

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
How does it drive with the light 37s and stock gearing? Not that bad? With stock wheels and those tires you should be around 90 per wheel and tire. Not bad for a 37 inch setup.
When driving, it’s obvious that it feels different. A little more sensitive to bumps, takes a little more effort to go up hill (needs a lower gear than it did before). I lost 8th gear unless I’m going really flat ground or downhill, but still strong. Lost 1mpg. I was aware of All of these were things before pursuing it. To answer your question, it still drives great.
Sponsored