Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
Hi all,

This post is difficult for me to write clearly, please bear with me - I promise I’m doing my best here 😅

My dear and first Jeep (a beatiful Hydro JLUR 4xe) has been stuck at the dealer for a long time waiting for a part - here are some highlights:
  • Car was new and picked up on 9/22 - shout out to a great dealer experience with STARR Motors in VA - and I drove it back home in NY
  • Drove well for about ~600mi on the road, then the 4wd/ABS service light went on and (after reading the fault code and a couple threads here) I cleaned the wheel speed sensors and the loght went away. I repeated that two times before deciding cleaning the sensors wasn’t enough and taking it to the dealer on 10/10, with less than 1,000mi on the odo.
  • I haven’t taken the car offroad yet (had a class booked for 11/5 that I couldn’t attend, but NORA was kind enough to keep my credit for a year after that).
  • After a couple failed attempts, I opened a case with @JeepCares (useless, unfortunately)
  • The dealer replaced the wheel speed sensor and that didn’t fix the issue, so the car isn’t drivable (no ABS, 4wd or traction control). The dealer inquired with Jeep corporate and were advised to change the brake booster controller (Mopar part #68 56 83 88 AD) which they ordered on 10/14
  • Jeep has missed all ETA’s on delivering the part and now even refuses to provide an ETA because they acknowledge it’s not reliable
  • I keep getting the “we’re doing everything we can” line, which really presses my buttons as it’s not true - even Jeep acknowledges that they’d rather use the parts they have to build new cars vs fixing mine. I got an MBA and I understand the business decision, but repeating the lie that they’re doing everything they can is unacceptable to me. They should own the fact that they prioritize selling one more unit than servicing a warranty claim. Apologies for the rant.
  • As for next steps - I like and want to keep my Jeep, but I’m also interested in exploring the option of hiring a lemon attorney, as I’m getting the run-around from @JeepCares and my case manager at the Retention team
There you go… if you’re still reading - thank you, and if you can offer your perspective/opinion/advice on what to do, thank you x2!

PS: here are some pics from mypoor Jeep at the corner of the dealer lot (yes, I’m crazy enough that pay it a visit every now and then, and yes, I closed the hood that the dealer had left open):
Jeep Wrangler JL Advice/help on parts being unavailable for warranty work B7EF82D8-830E-4988-9C90-D47F28AD6A58

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice/help on parts being unavailable for warranty work BACBD6B9-09C6-4932-9E47-F5AE7F51E32D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Forgive my ignorance - but I assume you can still drive this the way it is?

If so, I'd just exercise patience. There are parts that ARE way behind.....and automotive isn't the only industry. If you can still drive it, I'd just wait it out.

OP
OP
Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forgive my ignorance - but I assume you can still drive this the way it is?

If so, I'd just exercise patience. There are parts that ARE way behind.....and automotive isn't the only industry. If you can still drive it, I'd just wait it out.
Thanks, and good point - I will update my first post. The Jeep is not drivable, as neither ABS, 4wd or traction control work… I agree that if the car was drivable, waiting would be doable.

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Thanks, and good point - I will update my first post. The Jeep is not drivable, as neither ABS, 4wd or traction control work… I agree that if the car was drivable, waiting would be doable.
Ahhh....ok

Then I can't blame you. I thought it was just a warning light.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
You'll want to review the lemon laws applicable in your state to see if the parts availability, time without use of the vehicle and other factors relevant to your case are qualifiers under the law.

Alternately, as sort of a second opinion, get the part number and check in with Benny at AllMoparParts to see if they can find the part you need to get you back on the road. If they do, buy it and take it in to your dealer and seek warranty reimbursement for the expense.

Reactions: OBD

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill,
Can you provide a bit of clarity regarding the assertion that the absence of ABS, 4WD and traction control makes the vehicle undrivable? All three are safety and/or convenience features that are absent from many older vehicles that are still on the road and being safely operated.

Does the 4xe have electronic programming that prevents your Jeep from being started or driven in the absence of any of those three features functioning? For context here, the driver can disengage 4WD, and/or turn off traction control, at his discretion and as part of the core feature set of the Wrangler.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’d be pushing for a buyback. However, it is a fine dance to get an automaker to willingly offer you a vehicle replacement or a buyback.

Be aware that automakers pay dealers a discounted rate for warranty work. These days dealers in general are understaffed and are giving warranty jobs low priority. Dealers make more money on jobs that customers pay for, like a brake or a transmission job. When dealers have to choose between assigning short-staffed techs to work on a warranty job vs a customer-pay job, the latter normally wins. You need to get to the bottom if your dealer is being straight with you or if they are simply putting you off. By the sounds of it, I’d say the dealer is putting you off.

First thing, is you need to open a case with the automaker’s customer service. JeepCares can help in this. You indicated JeepCares got involved. Did they open a case? If so, is that case still open?

Opening a case doesn’t guarantee things will get resolved. All it does it makes sure your complaint and the dealer’s attempts to resolve it get documented so that everything can get investigated as part of one continuous case.

If weeks and months go by without resolution, then you need to start looking if taking the vehicle to another dealer will be of help.

If that doesn’t work, then I’d be looking at your state laws. Personally, I wouldn’t be making payments or putting up with depreciation for very long on a vehicle I can’t even use. But look at your legal options without necessarily involving a lawyer first. Involving a lawyer is usually the last resort. The moment lawyers get involved you lose total control of the situation.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill,
Can you provide a bit of clarity regarding the assertion that the absence of ABS, 4WD and traction control makes the vehicle undrivable? All three are safety and/or convenience features that are absent from many older vehicles that are still on the road and being safely operated.

Does the 4xe have electronic programming that prevents your Jeep from being started or driven in the absence of any of those three features functioning? For context here, the driver can disengage 4WD, and/or turn off traction control, at his discretion and as part of the core feature set of the Wrangler.
thanks - the car does move, but it’s really easy to make it skid when breaking (not sure if all JLs are like this or if it’s a 4xe thing), and I’d be surprised if my insurance company would be ok with me driving with the car’s mandatory safety features (ABS and traction control have come with new cars for a while, I think).

In any case, you are correct that it can function without these, but I’m unsure how legal/advisable it is.

OP
OP
Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’d be pushing for a buyback. However, it is a fine dance to get an automaker to willingly offer you a vehicle replacement or a buyback.

Be aware that automakers pay dealers a discounted rate for warranty work. These days dealers in general are understaffed and are giving warranty jobs low priority. Dealers make more money on jobs that customers pay for, like a brake or a transmission job. When dealers have to choose between assigning short-staffed techs to work on a warranty job vs a customer-pay job, the latter normally wins. You need to get to the bottom if your dealer is being straight with you or if they are simply putting you off. By the sounds of it, I’d say the dealer is putting you off.

First thing, is you need to open a case with the automaker’s customer service. JeepCares can help in this. You indicated JeepCares got involved. Did they open a case? If so, is that case still open?

Opening a case doesn’t guarantee things will get resolved. All it does it makes sure your complaint and the dealer’s attempts to resolve it get documented so that everything can get investigated as part of one continuous case.

If weeks and months go by without resolution, then you need to start looking if taking the vehicle to another dealer will be of help.

If that doesn’t work, then I’d be looking at your state laws. Personally, I wouldn’t be making payments or putting up with depreciation for very long on a vehicle I can’t even use. But look at your legal options without necessarily involving a lawyer first. Involving a lawyer is usually the last resort. The moment lawyers get involved you lose total control of the situation.

Good luck.
Thanks for this - you laid out pretty much exactly what I’ve done so far.

✅ Dealer is desperate as I am (for now at least); Jeep Cares has confirmed the parts issue is on the corporate end
✅ @JeepCares case was opened on 10/21 with #844 365 02, than was transferred to Retention team on 11/14 with #846 215 02, when they aknowledged I’m entitled to full reimbursement
✅ Confirmed I’m covered by NY state lemon law (>30 days without the car within the first year applies to my situation)

Also, my car is luckily paid for, so no payments to make.

Essentially, at this point I’m grasping at straws to get Jeep to get me the part somehow. I really want my car, and they just don’t mind buying it back and getting rid of the case. I’m quite the by-the-book guy, but it often doesn’t get me far. This seems to be one of thise situations… hence my thinking of looking for a lawyer, as a last resort.

As a hail-mary:@AllMoparParts.com; Benny - any chance you can track down part #68 56 83 88 AD (power brake booster controller) for me?

Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There are a ton of 4XEs available to purchase. I would have them buy it back and get another one.
thank you - appreciate it. I may be being stubborn for the sake of it… could be better off letting go and moving on to another Jeep 😕

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
None of those things are necessary to drive a vehicle.

OP
OP
Bill_BCNtoNY

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
None of those things are necessary to drive a vehicle.
Agreed, but I wouldn’t bet my insurance converage on that (unless they put it in writing ;))

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for this - you laid out pretty much exactly what I’ve done so far.

✅ Dealer is desperate as I am (for now at least); Jeep Cares has confirmed the parts issue is on the corporate end
✅ @JeepCares case was opened on 10/21 with #844 365 02, than was transferred to Retention team on 11/14 with #846 215 02, when they aknowledged I’m entitled to full reimbursement
✅ Confirmed I’m covered by NY state lemon law (>30 days without the car within the first year applies to my situation)

Also, my car is luckily paid for, so no payments to make.

Essentially, at this point I’m grasping at straws to get Jeep to get me the part somehow. I really want my car, and they just don’t mind buying it back and getting rid of the case. I’m quite the by-the-book guy, but it often doesn’t get me far. This seems to be one of thise situations… hence my thinking of looking for a lawyer, as a last resort.

As a hail-mary:@AllMoparParts.com; Benny - any chance you can track down part #68 56 83 88 AD (power brake booster controller) for me?

Thanks!
Thank you for tagging our team. If you need us to dig into your case, feel free to send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored