Advice from an owner of a small turbo 4 with hybrid torque assist

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
I posted this info with a joke over on the plug-in hybrid thread, but I've been thinking it ever since the 2.0T BSG was announced, and I think it's worth sharing to anyone considering buying in.

A tip from owning a little turbo like that for a couple hundred thousand miles: you may be tempted to not put 91 in it. Don't. Not unless you really like knock. Most pumps are 93, and thus more costly. Find a place like a Sunoco that actually has 91 and save the 10-20 cents per gallon.

I have a VW Jetta Hybrid, and when it's in "Sport Mode," it uses uses electric motor instant torque to more than compensate for turbo lag. If you've never driven something like it, it will surprise you. The mild hybrid torque assist isn't going to be quite as fun as the full electric hybrid assist, but it's still going to be really cool.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Opinions are like assholes, we all have them....

ZenWorld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara, 2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
I posted this info with a joke over on the plug-in hybrid thread, but I've been thinking it ever since the 2.0T BSG was announced, and I think it's worth sharing to anyone considering buying in.

A tip from owning a little turbo like that for a couple hundred thousand miles: you may be tempted to not put 91 in it. Don't. Not unless you really like knock. Most pumps are 93, and thus more costly. Find a place like a Sunoco that actually has 91 and save the 10-20 cents per gallon.

I have a VW Jetta Hybrid, and when it's in "Sport Mode," it uses uses electric motor instant torque to more than compensate for turbo lag. If you've never driven something like it, it will surprise you. The mild hybrid torque assist isn't going to be quite as fun as the full electric hybrid assist, but it's still going to be really cool.
91 is the only thing I can get in california. Or I’d be putting 93 to get senses knocked into me
Sponsored