Sponsored

Advice from 4xe owners

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi All,

I currently have a 21 JLUR 3.6 and am considering trading for a 4xe JLUR This is my daily driver and I usually drive around 20 miles a day (30 km). Based on the range posted would it be fair to assume I would rarely have to fill the tank if charged daily? Any other advice/opinions would be appreciated. My goal would be to come as close to a wash with the trade as possible so I can actually realize the gas savings.

TIA
Sponsored

Last edited:

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Hi All,

I currently have a 21 JLUR 3.6 and am considering trading for a 4xe JLUR This is my daily driver and I usually drive around 20 miles a day (30 km). Based on the range posted would it be fair to assume I would rarely have to fill the tank if charged daily? Any other advise/opinions would be appreciated. My goal would be to come as close to a wash with the trade as possible so I can actually realize the gas savings.

TIA
You will not have to charge but once a day if you are under the 21 miles round trip. We have over 6K on ours and thats how it works.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
You are a good target person for the 4Xe.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
You're also going to get significantly more torque and HP when you want it as well!

Sponsored

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Hi All,

I currently have a 21 JLUR 3.6 and am considering trading for a 4xe JLUR This is my daily driver and I usually drive around 20 miles a day (30 km). Based on the range posted would it be fair to assume I would rarely have to fill the tank if charged daily? Any other advice/opinions would be appreciated. My goal would be to come as close to a wash with the trade as possible so I can actually realize the gas savings.

TIA
This is exactly why I decided to order one.....daily work commute is 20 miles round trip, there is a possibility of plugging into 120 at work so that should give me 100 percent before I leave for the day. Even if I don't charge at work or can't, should have no issue getting to and from work on a charge. weekends are usually short trips and I'm expecting to get some good use on weekends once the level 2 is installed in the garage. I think it would work nicely for you as well.

OP
OP

CNDJeepLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This is exactly why I decided to order one.....daily work commute is 20 miles round trip, there is a possibility of plugging into 120 at work so that should give me 100 percent before I leave for the day. Even if I don't charge at work or can't, should have no issue getting to and from work on a charge. weekends are usually short trips and I'm expecting to get some good use on weekends once the level 2 is installed in the garage. I think it would work nicely for you as well.
Did you trade a 21 JLU as well?

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
You’ll love it, do it!

side note, I don’t see the justification for a level 2 charger personally. Way I see it, at my cost the electricity is about equivalent to 1 gallon of gas. A full charge costs about $2. So to save $1-$2 per gallon is a loooooong time to offset the cost of the charger. Also how often will you drive 20 miles and need a quick charge to leave your house again? Personally I don’t make enough small trips on a daily basis to justify the need until I get a full EV I’ll be sticking with my slow poke charger :)

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Same as @Mgg253. I have a 6.1 mile commute to my main office. Trips to sites I support are anywhere from 10 to 30 miles.

With free nights/weekends, I'd generally rather charge overnight.

I'm only about 1k miles in, but I just keep seeing my mileage climb. The first weekend I did about 400 miles without much charging, 200 being full highway road trip back home.

I filled up once when I got home from the road trip, and haven't filled up since then. So at this point I'm at about 800miles on this tank.

For my longer commutes to further out sites, I just leave it in hybrid. This trip is averaging about 28mpg overall.

try4321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE, 2018 Tesla X LR
if not for the planet, do it for the instant torque and extra power. It is 700lb heavier but doesn't feel it somehow.

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
You’ll love it, do it!

side note, I don’t see the justification for a level 2 charger personally. Way I see it, at my cost the electricity is about equivalent to 1 gallon of gas. A full charge costs about $2. So to save $1-$2 per gallon is a loooooong time to offset the cost of the charger. Also how often will you drive 20 miles and need a quick charge to leave your house again? Personally I don’t make enough small trips on a daily basis to justify the need until I get a full EV I’ll be sticking with my slow poke charger :)
Yep. I'm waiting on my 4xe delivery, but agree about not truly needing L2 charging for the current 4xe. In addition to nil economic payback, fast-charging lessens a rechargeable Lithium battery's lifespan regardless of what manufacturers say. We're at least a decade away from a reliable, fast-charging, dry cell battery that won't degrade from "supercharging" too often.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Yep. I'm waiting on my 4xe delivery, but agree about not truly needing L2 charging for the current 4xe. In addition to nil economic payback, fast-charging lessens a rechargeable Lithium battery's lifespan regardless of what manufacturers say. We're at least a decade away from a reliable, fast-charging, dry cell battery that won't degrade from "supercharging" too often.
This is true only of level 3 DC super/fast charging and only if the charge controller is rather stupid. Most supercharging charges only to the point where damage would occur at that rate and then slows to a safer rate.

However, it is absolutely 100% not true of the 7.2kW level 2 charging of which the 4xe is capable.

GoldenKnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 HA 4xe
You’ll love it, do it!

Level 2 is a must have IMO. You're basically at 15+ hours for a 0-100% charge. I guess if you work exactly 8 hours and have a short commute, and never do anything after work you're fine, but we often find the Jeep at significantly less than a 100% charge when going overnight on the level 1 charger.

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe, Mustang Mach-E, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Let me start off by saying we had L2 charging installed for my wife's Mach-E, not for the 4XE. That being said, I think it significantly increases the electric only use of the vehicle, if that's what you're after (I was). It's not unusual to charge it up two, sometimes even three times in a day.

If you're considering L2 charging, check with your utility provider, we received a $500 reimbursement on the EVSE of our choice.

Lastly, there is a 30% federal tax credit on the purchase and installation of EVSE equipment, up to a maximum credit of $1000.
Sponsored