David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
That's no way to go through life, friend.
Huh? He said he'd own the results.

You'd rather he say he'd plead ignorance and blame the [insert something here] like the vast majority of people today who shirk all forms of responsibility and accountability?

Reference all the "my Jeep almost killed me because..." posts.​

We all make decisions that carry some level of increased risk. Tow heavy. Speed. Change lanes without signaling. Drive tired. Run non-DOT rims. Drive on the street between trails without airing up. Have non-compliant bumper heights. Use communication devices without hands-free. Etc. Etc. Etc.

People who are aware of the increased risk are usually very attentive and take precautions to offset it. It's the ones who are oblivious to it that you have to worry about and want to stay away from. They're the distracted drivers who are so oblivious to the fact they're controlling 5K lbs of mass at high speed less than a second from others doing the same that are the leading cause of vehicle accidents.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I tow a very similar trailer and I use a weight distribution hitch and a Curt Bluetooth brake controller. Im never in a hurry and keep the speed 60-65 and it tows quite well.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Someone said to use a WDH, and you'll be fine....
The way the factory Wrangler receiver hitch is designed (to simply bolt across the rear frame cross member), is not designed to take the twisting forces of a weight distribution hitch.
Compare the Wrangler factory receiver hitch to that found on a pickup truck, and it becomes obvious.
Right tool for the job... get a truck! ?

12015.1064-rear-hitch-jl-sport-steel-bumper-1_0.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
winojoe

winojoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon EcoDiesel
Someone said to use a WDH, and you'll be fine....
The way the factory Wrangler receiver hitch is designed (to simply bolt across the rear frame cross member), is not designed to take the twisting forces of a weight distribution hitch.
Compare the Wrangler factory receiver hitch to that found on a pickup truck, and it becomes obvious.
Right tool for the job... get a truck! ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice for Towing at the limit s-l1600

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice for Towing at the limit s-l1600
I agree with you about right tool for the job. But the hitch pictured in the top photo is the same receiver the factory installs on the 2024 JLUs that are rated for 5000 lbs. according to Jeep my receiver should be fine for 4000 lbs.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I don’t have the threads handy, but I seem to recall reading some members having their ecodiesels run hot enough to go into limp mode when fully kitted out for over landing. If I recall it was climbing hills on the freeways in Colorado

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
I'd be worried about how I was going to mitigate the typical 10-15% of tongue weight of that 4-5000# trailer without the benefit of a properly installed WDH on a factory receiver that was not designed for one....
Just not something I would do. I use a my Superduty for towing my travel trailer... not my Wrangler.
I think down deep you'll probably agree that towing is MUCH more comfortable, and with a wider margin of safety, when done below the limits.
Good luck, and safe travels!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I agree with you about right tool for the job. But the hitch pictured in the top photo is the same receiver the factory installs on the 2024 JLUs that are rated for 5000 lbs. according to Jeep my receiver should be fine for 4000 lbs.
I agree, the hitch and mounting is not the limiting factor. Even the "truck hitch" shown in the pictures has the same form as the "jeep hitch", you'd think the four bolts mounting through the frame member are at least as strong as the welds if not stronger. The limit isn't the fact that the towed vehicle will lose it's coupling to the towing vehicle, rather that the towing vehicle would lose control of the combination.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Ca. — beware popular RV destinations.
Jeep Wrangler JL Advice for Towing at the limit 5487330B-B1EE-4695-ABD5-5E2EF3381EEE
CHP Jump Scale— Ticket by the amount of overload and you don’t move until you lose the weight. Can Verify use at Pismo Beach. My son fortunately lags behind with his barely legal dry, always overloaded toy hauler , and has been saved by a call. Until 3/4 T can be replaced with a Dually Ton . PS- only seen once- but they were testing for dyed diesel. Both used just enough to keep you guessing and honest. Also rare, but I have seen them directing all trailers and/or box trucks into the Commercial Scales a few times.?? ?

Last edited:

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Having towed with a CJ, Tacoma, F250's and F350', I can tell towing with a bigger rig is the way to go. Tried once just to launch the boat with the CJ. Very scary.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice for Towing at the limit 1699274110544

Can the Tacoma technically tow the ~ 3,500 Lbs boat 10 miles to the ski lake, yes. Would I do it? No.
Do I launch the boat with the Tacoma, yes, but I have to use low range (manual gear box).

Towing with the F250s and F350s is sooo much easier. You can typically find a nice 7.3L Diesel F250 4x4 for around $20K.

And you don't want to be like this guy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Advice for Towing at the limit 1699274419026

His boat dragged him down the boat ramp. He's lucky his Ranger did not turn into an aquatic truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Couple recommendations from my experience towing with our 4xe.

Run in Esave Maintain with at least 20% battery. This makes sure there is adequate battery on long up hill grades and headwinds. This also helps keep engine temps down.

I’m planning on installing the Airlift 1000 in the rear custom sized for my lift and springs (5 minute measurement and use their calculator on site and it will recommend the correct kit). Cheap ($150) way to help with rear spring rate if it’s sagging.

Adjust your headlights once hooked, simple and only takes a screwdriver.

I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but for $50 you can get a “Haul Gauge” that will calculate weights based on OBD inputs around the house.

Carry extra fuel. The tank is tiny and getting shitty MPG, is a recipe for getting stranded between gas stations in the boonies.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
"Mods: Clayton 2.5" lift with heavy duty rear springs, Falcon SP 3.3 adj shocks, Teraflex Big Brake kit. 35" wheels."

What size tires are on those 35 inch wheels?

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Hi

Vehicle: 2024 JLU Rubicon X 4xe.

Mods: Clayton 2.5" lift with heavy duty rear springs, Falcon SP 3.3 adj shocks, Teraflex Big Brake kit. 35" wheels.

I have the opportunity to tow a 2020 Rockwood GEO Pro 19FBS trailer. This trailer has a UVWR (unloaded vehicle weight rating) of 3300 lbs. So this trailer is right at the limit (3500 lbs) when it's empty. Once we add propane, some clothes and other stuff I'm sure we'll be a bit over 3500. We won't put water into the trailer until we're at our destination.

The combined weight (GCWR) of the 4xe is 9200 lbs so I'll be slightly over the GCWR as the dry weight is 5400 lbs. The only payload in the Jeep will be me and my wife.

As a side note - My Jeep has a big-brake kit on the front brakes and heavy duty springs in the rear. Also the 2024 Rubicons have a full float rear axle (FFRA). The FFRA is why some trims of the Wrangler Unlimited are now rated at 5000 lbs towing, unfortunately the 4xe didn't get this rating (nor did the 392). The only two configurations are the I4 and the V6 engines with the 4.10 rear end (4.56 got a lower tow rating - go figure).

These factors (BBK and Full-floating Rear Axle) is playing into my decision making on why I am probably okay to tow around 4000 lbs.

I know there are a few of you out there that probably push the envelope with regard to towing, I'm interested in observations about the Jeep's driving characteristics. Does it pull well up hill? How about cross-winds? Down hill? Winding roads?

PS. I'm not interested in legal opinions - please don't weigh in and say I'm not insured or anything like that because it's not the question I'm asking.
Been towing since I was 16, horse's and that is a lot of weight. Figure 1000 per horse (mature) and 2000 on the trailer, add in some hay, water in the 5k range.

I have towed 5th weeks and work trailers around 5000+ for my business trailer.

OVER the GVWR YES I have. What do you do? Reduce you speed and rpms, keep eyes looking at temperature and if you have a Oil and or a Transmission temp gauges keep you eye on the ball.

Tips: UP hill is where most overheats occur and what I do if I see a hill coming I speed up and then let momentum help gets me over he hill. Long hill the hit the base at speed and slowly back off as you go up.

Become a RIGHT Lane driver, that is the slow lane and that is now home.

Take about 10 mi off the posted speed limit. If you see you temp going up, slow down even more. Don't lug you vehicle and slow down going up those steep hills.

Been doing for over 50 years, matter of fact I just came off a 6 weeks business trip, 3,726 mi with 5990 lbs of Camper in the bed of my truck and pull a trailer of around 7000 lbs and got the same trip coming up in 10 days. I roll at about 24k GVW.

I have NEVER had an overheat of engine or trans in any car/truck on any trip I have taken.

yokramer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLR, '13 Juke Nismo, '88 10th Anny RX7
Hey man the "I know Im an idiot but Im going to do it anyway" is strong in here. Even though you are right youre probably wasting your data posting this lol.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
My first questions are how fast you will be driving and how many miles will you be towing?
Sponsored