Sponsored

Advantage to buying at local dealership?

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
Most of the time, the only advantage you get by buying local is that when you go to the bathroom to do a Number 2, it will be very quick and minimal wiping is necessary. They will have screwed you so hard however that it will take a couple of weeks to stop the bleeding, but like I said after that you will have to be careful passing gas.
Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
This isn't true 100% and sometimes needs to be stressed. Service Departments and Sales do work together and if they see you didn't buy it from them they MAY

- Bump your service appointment further away
- Not go as far warranty work approvals
- No Loaners

In no way am I justifying NOT buying local, but there are things to keep in mind. My two local dealers for example will backlog all cars not purchased from them, and if you have a body warranty claim or anything warranty related that the pay out isn't worth it for the stress they will tell you to bring it back where you got it from. My dealer an hour from me doesn't care, but I purchase from them since they give me 3-4% below invoice on all FCA product to compete with me going elsewhere to buy.
Iā€™ll second this. I had issues scheduling an oil change at the local dealer just because I didnā€™t buy there.

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Viper, 15' Hellcat Challenger, 18' SRT Durango, 13' SRT Charger
OP,

Think about it this way......

Letā€™s say that you buy a vehicle from any place you are living.... then you transfer 1500 miles with your company. The new dealership doesnā€™t care and will provide your vehicle with the same service it provides all other Jeeps that folks bring to it.

Buy the best deal. Service where you wish. Two different business transactions
That's 100% different then specifically living local and buying elsewhere. I'm speaking for the NYC Metro area, not for the entire FCA dealer network.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
That's 100% different then specifically living local and buying elsewhere. I'm speaking for the NYC Metro area, not for the entire FCA dealer network.
Why?

How the heck would the dealer that you are bringing your Jeep to know that you didnā€™t buy it 500 miles away WHILE you were living there?

The short answer to all of this is that dealers will give you the SAME service they give everyone else regardless of where you purchased it.......

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
I could be wrong, but I was told lemon law doesn't apply for out of state purchase.
Lemon laws vary by state. Some only cover if it's purchased in the state, and some are based on where it is first registered.

Definitely look into what yours says before purchasing out of state.

Sponsored

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why?

How the heck would the dealer that you are bringing your Jeep to know that you didnā€™t buy it 500 miles away WHILE you were living there?

The short answer to all of this is that dealers will give you the SAME service they give everyone else regardless of where you purchased it.......
Once again, not ALL dealers are this way. If you read the post I said that. But come to Yonkers Dodge, White Plains Dodge, Eastchester Dodge, Larchmont Dodge and tell them you bought the car elsewhere and plan on servicing here and you lived local the whole time. Have fun with that.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Once again, not ALL dealers are this way. If you read the post I said that. But come to Yonkers Dodge, White Plains Dodge, Eastchester Dodge, Larchmont Dodge and tell them you bought the car elsewhere and plan on servicing here and you lived local the whole time. Have fun with that.
And, that is the whole point...... you just made it for me.

Why would you tell any of those dealerships that. If they ask (and I have never once had one ask despite moving all around the countryā€”- apparently, you have), say, ā€œI just moved hereā€...... end of issue, right?

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
OP, I agree with everyone who is saying go with the better deal. However I do like the idea of at least trying to keep your money local. Hereā€™s what I did. I got an offer from an out-of-town dealership in writing. I just took it to 4 local dealerships and asked if they could match it. Maybe they will, maybe they wonā€™t. But they obviously know exactly what they need to do to make the deal happen so there wonā€™t be any BS.

Cubeman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And, that is the whole point...... you just made it for me.

Why would you tell any of those dealerships that. If they ask (and I have never once had one ask despite moving all around the countryā€”- apparently, you have), say, ā€œI just moved hereā€...... end of issue, right?
They'll find out when they look up the info regardless that it wasn't bought local especially if dealerships are using different systems. I've been doing this for a long time and have owned over 12 FCA product in the last 5 years. This isn't some random shit I spew. The amount of issues I get at our Mopar Cruises regarding local dealers is ridiculous.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of purchasing my first Jeep, and it's actually my first new car. I guess my question is straight forward: is there any advantage to buying at my local dealership (where I'll likely have it serviced)? About an hour away, I can get a significantly better deal. But there's no way I'll be making that drive for all the regular service.
Getting ready to buy our second JL and the local dealer doesn't want to give us a good deal. Told him to keep his Jeep we're going down the road (a few hours) for our new one.

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
They'll find out when they look up the info regardless that it wasn't bought local especially if dealerships are using different systems. I've been doing this for a long time and have owned over 12 FCA product in the last 5 years. This isn't some random shit I spew. The amount of issues I get at our Mopar Cruises regarding local dealers is ridiculous.
I've owned 8 (?) Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicles over the last 20 years and only one of them did I buy new locally - ironically that was a 2011 Ram that almost never saw the shop. The others were mostly used with service plans bought online. Ironically, the only time anybody ever asked 'did I buy it here?' was my 2019 Ram. I just said no. I've got 6-8 dealers within a 45 min drive and they're all terrible.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
IMHO

If you arent getting gouged on price, buy local. Especially if they have a good service and parts. Estalish a report with them, you will be surprised that sometimes better service is worth it.

My dealer sends me golden tickets all the time, I get parts at cost, and they have free loaners for every repair. I do most of my won work but any warranty or stuff I cant do like aligments, I drop it off and get free loaner. They also give lifetime inspection stickers. Plus if they are busy, I dont wait more than a few days to get in. I know the sales people and I am friends with the service manager and couple techs.

Only issue is they tend to keep crap on the lot, I try to explain to the owners son, WTF do you have 20 Wranglers on the lot with most of em with the crap 5" head units, you screwed yourselves, think a little about what you stock. Or they have a Challenger GT RWD not AWD here in Maine?? Stuff like that, I would show the guy ordering floor plan stuff the door. Another dumb move is they have Jeeps with no tow package?? Just dumb.

Oh if they have a warranty issue, I know they will go to bat for me, they replaced a lower leather on th e driver seat on my Overland, it had 40K miles but htey honored it, the cover was 600$ plus install. stuff like that is why I buy local. These big box store dealers could give a crap about you.

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
You all have to understand that dealerships very greatly in tactics just by sheer size of population/city.

I'm active duty and from a small town. The small "local" dealership thing is true where service/sales can work together, but in larger cities. The dealerships can be so large that they don't even know anyone out side of who they work with.

I'm in San Antonio, I bought in Austin, TX and had a warranty request done at one of the 6 different local dealers and the one I went with didn't ask anything. Just asked for model/year to be sure it was under warranty of course.

Didn't ask questions, nothing. Take that into account. If you know for a fact that your local dealership gives you a rough time cause you took the time to purchase elsewhere, I would say that dealership is full of unethical people and I wouldn't purchase from them anyways and would rather drive. lol

Just my 0.02c

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Only issue is they tend to keep crap on the lot, I try to explain to the owners son, WTF do you have 20 Wranglers on the lot with most of em with the crap 5" head units, you screwed yourselves, think a little about what you stock
In what world is the 5' inch radio crap? Just curious. I don't see the justification in paying almost $1000 just to have a radio be 2 inches bigger. I wish more Sports around me had the 5' and not 7'. My issue with Wranglers on lots are they tend to be overloaded with options.

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
In what world is the 5' inch radio crap? Just curious. I don't see the justification in paying almost $1000 just to have a radio be 2 inches bigger. I wish more Sports around me had the 5' and not 7'. My issue with Wranglers on lots are they tend to be overloaded with options.
I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I would not buy a 5" screen I can barely see, even the 7" is almost too small. It does suck having to spend $xxxx for upgrades that I feel should be standard at these price points, but I'm not a JEEP guy (yet).

I'm a tech junkie, so I like options, just not the cost of some of these options. What I can tell from JLU's are that you don't have to tack on 15 different option to purchase 1 specific option which is nice.

For example. My Ram 1500, I added one package which added another $4000 to my vehicle on top of it because it was required. A $44,000 MSRP vehicle ended up around $58,000 by checking 3 boxes.
Sponsored