Sponsored

Advanced Safety Group worth it? Excessive windshield replacement costs?

AMC_CJ

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Curious
I've heard a few tales of excessive costs for windshield replacement with the adaptive cruise control, and here in Colorado, broken windshields are likely to be a regular occurrence. Not sure I've ever gone 6mo out here without a crack in my windshield. Have the costs gone down at all for replacing the glass with the sensors? Better to just skip this option entirely?
Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Mine through Safelite was $601. That's in Utah and no re-calibration (they said they couldn't do it). I've had six rock chips but it hasn't broken again yet.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Mine through Safelite was $601. That's in Utah and no re-calibration (they said they couldn't do it). I've had six rock chips but it hasn't broken again yet.
I don't get the wildly different windshield costs. I replaced mine at the start of the year and it was over $900. Safelite did the work, too, and it was covered under insurance. I doubt there is any significant difference between the regular windshield and the safety one.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Do/would front air deflectors work/help?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Pass it’s a lot of money and the sensors are wonky , the dynamic cruise control is a nice luxury but for dollars spent it’s a pass

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
On my 2019 Tacoma windshield was $500 and recalibration was over $300 at Safelite. A few weeks after I had it done, it cracked again.

I solved the high cost replacement problem when I got my JL... no sensors whatsoever, front and rear. Not once have I missed them.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
In Florida, if you have comprehensive coverage windshields are covered at no-charge by your insurance company (deductibles don't apply). That being said..... I have a cheap Jeep (if there is such a thing), so my windshield should be similarly cheap to replace.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Have you had issues with the Advances Safety functions? I really am wondering about the "calibration".

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
IIRC, there may have been a light on the dash after Safelite did the windshield installation and couldn't figure out how to recalibrate it (because of my Tazer). The dealer recalibrated it in 30 minutes at no charge. Now, the light could have been there because they disabled the system first intentionally during the recalibration process. The only thing that didn't work was the advanced cruise control when that light was present. Everything else? Fine.

As such, I'd actually advise to get a quote for replacing a windshield at your dealership as opposed to Safelite, assuming you are paying cash. It's not longer than 30 minutes, so paying $350 for recalibration is a TERRIBLE rip off when the dealers all have the software anyway, and Safelite is just trying to recoup the license costs. I mean even at 1 hour labor rate of $200/hr, you'd still save money. Just less convenient.

If I could have ordered my 392 without the safety features, I would have.

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
As such, I'd actually advise to get a quote for replacing a windshield at your dealership as opposed to Safelite, assuming you are paying cash. It's not longer than 30 minutes, so paying $350 for recalibration is a TERRIBLE rip off when the dealers all have the software anyway, and Safelite is just trying to recoup the license costs. I mean even at 1 hour labor rate at the most expensive Jeep dealer in the country you'd still be cheaper than Safelite.
Thanks for the advise. I can't stomach the idea of paying over $350 for 30min of work!

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Thanks for the advise. I can't stomach the idea of paying over $350 for 30min of work!
Yeah, I think they're just trying to recoup license costs, if not -- that's $700 per hour! Crazy. Why on earth Insurance Co's would agree to pay that is beyond me.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
$0 deductible on glass is ALWAYS worth it.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I bought it for Dynamic Cruise Control but so far it's my least favorite part of the package. It only works well on the interstate and kills gas mileage.

Automatic High Beam and Collision Warning Plus work very well. Happy with the package so far.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I bought it for Dynamic Cruise Control but so far it's my least favorite part of the package. It only works well on the interstate and kills gas mileage.

Automatic High Beam and Collision Warning Plus work very well. Happy with the package so far.
You find ACC kills your mileage?
Sponsored