Sponsored

Advanced Safety Group not avail on Sport

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Anyone care to guess why the advanced safety group is only available on Sahara and Rubicons, but the regular safety group is available on the Sport?

I get not making features available on lower trim models. I just think it’s odd that they would make the safety group available on Sports, but not the advanced.

I’m not buying another vehicle without adaptive cruise, so I’m being forced to pay way more for other features that I could live without.

Every model/trim Toyota comes with these features standard. I wish that was more common, safety shouldn’t be a luxury.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hahah yeah, I get that. I’m just confused why one safety package is available on that trim and not another.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I always thought it was because the Sport was aimed at the hardcore, "build-your-own" enthusiasts and the "I can just afford a Jeep" folks, neither of whom want to spring for the technology. The techie features--like ACC--are typically not a desired feature for either subset.

OP
OP
cjaama

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I always thought it was because the Sport was aimed at the hardcore, "build-your-own" enthusiasts and the "I can just afford a Jeep" folks, neither of whom want to spring for the technology. The techie features--like ACC--are typically not a desired feature for either subset.
I get that too, but again, why offer the regular safety group on the Sport if that is the thinking.
Also, I'm really talking about the Sport S, not the base Sport.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
How is the adaptive cruise control, does it work well? I herd there is a camera mounted in the windshield. Also does the Advanced Safety have the automatic braking?

FCA forces you to buy a Rubicon, Sahara, Moab if you want Proximity Entry, Automatic Headlamps, LED lights, , Advanced Safety Group, Active Noise Control, 8.4" Infotainment, Sirius Guardian-Traffic Plus-Travel Link, NAV. And that's if you want a 4-door Unlimited. It really sucks if you want a 2-door. The 2-door JL customers get shafted even more because there are even fewer models for the 2-door. As in only the Rubicon if you want those options. Otherwise it's a Sport S or base Sport. I am willing to bet any true hardcore, rock crawling, Rubicon owner will not want all the sensors in the bumper. They would just get damaged or torn off. The sensors for the rear cross traffic monitors would possibly be a headache on trials in tight quarters. I remember seeing a video where testers could not get the JL with the Active Safety Group to move when it was parked too close to other cars. The sensors got confused and cut power or something thinking it was going to hit something?

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This like the LED option is just another one of Jeeps positions that really turns me against them a little. Look so many auto manufactures now include these thing as standards equipment, however Jeep chooses to hold out these SAFETY items as a high margin option. I cannot imagine if they included both those options as standards equipment and increased the cost slightly that sales would still be the same.

The fact they hold out these safety options for additional profit in this way is deplorable as these features saves lives.... When I was looking to buy in Sept, very few in stock rigs had either option ( I would say 20% or less) I am sure dealers were trying to keep MSRP's down.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Because auto manufacturers offer some desirable options only in higher trim levels or packages or both. That’s the reason most vehicles have a cheaper bare bones base model that gets you into the vehicle, a mid line model that offers things unavailable on the base model - to upsell you, and a luxury or high line model for people who want to check every box and are willing to pay to do so. This isn’t a Jeep thing, it’s an almost every auto manufacturer thing with the exception of some high end cars.

If you want advanced safety group they want you to buy a more expensive model to get it. Plus it’s not something that would typically appeal to the Sport buyer who wants the most basic non tech Jeep they can get. With notable exceptions like you.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I don't understand why people act surprised that vehicle manufacturers exist to make money. Of course they are going to upsell you. The take rate of a luxury feature like ACC on a base sport model is going to be extremely low, so why bother? There are costs associated with every combination of vehicle they have to build. Reduce the number of combinations and package options in trim levels where people are more likely to spend the money on something that would otherwise be considered a "luxury".

Call it what you want, but ACC is not much of a safety feature when compared to blind spot sensing and lane control. It's absolutely something people can live without and be perfectly safe. It's a luxury option and luxury options don't find their way to base models. Manufacturers can't and won't cater to every edge case until you get to high end cars like Porsche, Lambo, Rolls, Bentley, etc...then you can order exactly what you want and nothing more. But you're going to pay for that privilege.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
I'm sorry but the current reliability issues I sure as shit would not trust ACC with my life. No way

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I don't understand why people act surprised that vehicle manufacturers exist to make money.
No problem with them making money however what they charge for these as options options is extreme versus their OEM cost. Chrysler is alive and well with profits from the Jeeps (especially the Wrangler hence never any rebates or incentives), Sorry but reasonable low cost technology these days should always be included. For example the head lights on the Wrangler are the worst I have ever seen whereas they have chosen cost for safety.

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
I'm sorry but the current reliability issues I sure as shit would not trust ACC with my life. No way
Definitely. Best to leave that technology to companies with proven, rock-solid, unquestionable reliability like Honda and Toyota.

D92E1468-9397-4A2F-8156-7438AA8ACD9E.png

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
safety shouldn’t be a luxury.
Do you have any idea how much you are paying for safety already? Air bags, crash protection, anti lock brakes, etc.? It's doubling the cost of your Jeep already. You aren't entitled to anything.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Do you have any idea how much you are paying for safety already? Air bags, crash protection, anti lock brakes, etc.? It's doubling the cost of your Jeep already. You aren't entitled to anything.
Pretty soon you will be as it will eventually be mandated... Nobody is saying entitled just include it on ALL cars at a reasonable cost. The technology is not expensive especially in the grand scale of automotive production. Just like the stock plastic bumpers the are Cosmetic only they provide no protection as they will crumble like tin foil, again safety compromised for profits. Jeep does a lot of great things however they skimp in many areas they likely should not.
Sponsored