Adjustable track bar with RC 2.5" lift?

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
So the jeep drives crazy now after the RC 2.5" lift. I've been told by a few guys that I need an adjustable track arm after lifting the jeep.

Putting the lift on was pretty easy, the only hard part was getting that track bar back in place. We had to use a heavy ratchet strap to pull it back in place. It did not want to go back in.

I'm wondering if that's the issue.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Did you loosen and then tighten all control arm(16) & track bar(4) bolts when the Jeep was on the ground and settled? I like to have everything loose when I take a Jeep off the lift, then rock the jeep back and fourth a bit and torque all the suspension bolts on the ground(Worst part of the whole lift install, but it makes a difference.)
I usually don't have much of an issue getting the track bar bolts back in place either. At worst I need someone to push on the bumper, or turn the steering wheel a bit to get the body to move whichever way I need to. I don't think I've ever had to use a ratchet strap, pry bar etc.

Just a thought?

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
We did tighten everything on the ground. We didn't rock it back and forth but we did everything on the ground under load.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
We did tighten everything on the ground. We didn't rock it back and forth but we did everything on the ground under load.
Just to clarify, you loosened all the control arm bolts while in the air(or on the ground after install) then re-torqued them? Not just the trackbars?

If your still having issues I'm happy to look at it for you(I think we are fairly close.) I install 2-3 lift kits on Wranglers every week, and just a quick spin around the block may shed some light on things.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Wow. I never even pull the track bars or loosen control arms. Even if you do, all that is needed is to turn the steering wheel a bit to line it up.

There shouldn’t be any issues at all. You shouldn’t even feel a difference. Pull it in the garage, make sure the emergency brake isn’t set and loosen control arms and track bars, jump up and down on it and re torque everything.

Sponsored

jeepfandotcom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepfan.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Grey JLUR 4xe, 2004 TJ, 1978 CJ-5
I did the RC lift on mine and it doesn’t really drive any different. I’ve had spacer lifts on my JKs and I always used an adjustable track bar and even longer front lower arms. Often caster gets thrown off causing the Jeep to wander. I didn’t experience any issues with the JL.

Def make sure everything is tight. Also make sure the steering wheel is centered by adjusting the collar on the drag link. That being off alignment will make the Jeep act funny.

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I planned on messing with it tomorrow. If you're close, I could use help for sure.

I really don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

OP
OP
bodam

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Just to clarify, you loosened all the control arm bolts while in the air(or on the ground after install) then re-torqued them? Not just the trackbars?

If your still having issues I'm happy to look at it for you(I think we are fairly close.) I install 2-3 lift kits on Wranglers every week, and just a quick spin around the block may shed some light on things.
We loosened control arms in the air, and tightened them on the ground.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you get longer or adjustable lower control arms? If not your caster is out of whack and it will feel "flighty".

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Did you get longer or adjustable lower control arms? If not your caster is out of whack and it will feel "flighty".
Not at 2.5” it won’t. Most flighty feeling after such small amount of lift comes from 12.5” wide tires and over inflation. Obviously there are very small exceptions to the rule but you really need to be over 3” of lift for it to really make a difference. That being said, a bit longer control arms after a lift aren’t a bad idea, just not really needed.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Perhaps we aren't given enough info on what the problem is. OP didn't mention new tires, so based off that we can only assume what the symptoms are as well as resolutions. What RC lift are we talking about and what came in the kit? An adjustable track bar will recenter the axle under the Jeep. Probably a good idea to have one but I don't think that will result in a crazy ride unless hitting some potholes or something where you get into lateral axle movement issues. So much goes into the geometry of these things that it is hard to pin down and one thing leads to another resulting in ride issues related to lifts. That said, longer LCA's, even in a small lift are pretty a good idea. RC lifts are generally pretty complete and well engineered. I'm surprised to see they offer a kit with no LCA's or an adjustable track bar. I assume that's the kit we are talking about?

ETA- I was mistaken, the cheapest kit has a track bar, so what kit are we talking about?

ETAA- OK RC is Rough Country, I was thinking Rock Krawler. So forgive me all that RC nonsense. Uggh, I need to go to bed :)

adamle

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
So the jeep drives crazy now after the RC 2.5" lift. I've been told by a few guys that I need an adjustable track arm after lifting the jeep.

Putting the lift on was pretty easy, the only hard part was getting that track bar back in place. We had to use a heavy ratchet strap to pull it back in place. It did not want to go back in.

I'm wondering if that's the issue.

Thoughts?
i counter steered to line up the mounting holes.
Sponsored