Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I installed a Corbeau lumbar support on the driver’s seat of my Rubi. The installation was stupid-easy.

Results:
I’m 6’2” with a long torso, the Rubi lumbar support hits very low, the Corbeau bladder allows me to extend the area of support higher up. Prior to installation, my back started hurting after 30 minutes of driving, with the additional support most of that pain is gone; I still have a little pain, but it’s much better than without. Heat will most likely alleviate the remaining pain.

Installation:
1. Remove 2 elastic loops on the bottom of the seat
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat FDC5CB04-E34B-4626-9C91-591E8E9A8653

2. Lift up lower seat back flap (that used to be secured by the elastic loops), find and remove 2 screws near the bottom of the seat back.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat 21AE25BF-93D8-4A06-893E-E8B3EB5EE8E7

3. Push seat back down to expose some plastic clips at the top of the seat cover; once these top clips are exposed, pull on one side of the seat back, it should come off easily.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat AAA729C6-5F49-4325-BF08-675D9F17CC76

4. Look for 2 metal clips that may have fallen to the floor, these are anchors for the screws from step 2, make sure to re-seat these.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat 23DC11D4-4992-4046-9A98-20B1BDF9DA8B

5. Make sure your stock lumbar support is retracted to make room for the new bladder; insert the new Corbeau bladder between the plastic structure of the seatback and the seat cushion, secure top of bladder to top plastic spine of seatback structure using some STRONG zip ties, not included with bladder.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat 2FA845F8-9EDE-4C50-8093-61613EB9D6AD

6. Carefully route the inflation bulb to side of seat.
7. Reinstall seatback.

There are online reports of hoses coming off similar lumbar kits, so before installation I zip-tied all hose connection points.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat E8FF9759-83D0-4F09-8ADD-A038D1F494B5

There were also suggestions to use a plastic backing plate between the seat structure and the bladder to direct all force forward, I used some 1/4” rubber sheeting.
Jeep Wrangler JL Additional lumbar support installation on Rubi driver seat 7C03FF99-B41D-4814-B116-17B364F9B2F7
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anu2g

First Name
Anu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Manual Magnuson JLR, '16 Manual Cayman GT4
Thanks for the helpful post. I just did this yesterday on my brother's JLUR along with the shorter Seat Jackers. It has made a very major difference for him.

FYI, the Corbeau lumbar supports now come with a backing plate, so for any future folks performing this modification, you don't need to supply your own 1/4" rubber backing like the OP did. All you need is the kit plus a few zip ties.