Adding yet another battery

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
i am thinking of adding a 3rd battery to power the arb dual compressor, fridge/freezer and 50w ham radio. My tentative plan asssuming I can find a place to put the battery in rear, maybe in the cubby hole, is to run 8/10 gauge wire to the main battery, use a relay to isolate the main batteries from the 3rd battery, use an aux switch to engage the relay, then run the compressor, fridge and ham radio directly to the 3rd battery. This would avoid running 3 sets of power cables to the front on the jeep. Any idea how big a battery I need to power the fridge for a few days?

Does this sound like a good or bad idea?
Sponsored

apprweb

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley, Toyota, Mercedes, Porsche, Ford
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
i am thinking of adding a 3rd battery to power the arb dual compressor, fridge/freezer and 50w ham radio. My tentative plan asssuming I can find a place to put the battery in rear, maybe in the cubby hole, is to run 8/10 gauge wire to the main battery, use a relay to isolate the main batteries from the 3rd battery, use an aux switch to engage the relay, then run the compressor, fridge and ham radio directly to the 3rd battery. This would avoid running 3 sets of power cables to the front on the jeep. Any idea how big a battery I need to power the fridge for a few days?

Does this sound like a good or bad idea?
Check out the genesis dual battery kit, cost a few bucks, but has everything set up, might be worth the cost for less work and hassle. I used to have a dual setup in my superduty and could run a Engel fridge for 4 days off that.