Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
The used jeep I bought is perfect in every way except that it does not have the factory tow package. What do I need to buy in order to pull a trailer and have lights etc
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The used jeep I bought is perfect in every way except that it does not have the factory tow package. What do I need to buy in order to pull a trailer and have lights etc
You'll need to add a hitch and a 4 or 7 pin wiring harness. There's several options out there.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/premium-2-receiver-hitch-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/82215209-receiver-hitch-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/curt/hitch-wiring-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/hitch-wiring-harness-wrangler-jl-82216359AA

https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugg...ess-plug-n-play-1727504.html#customer_reviews

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I added the newer Mopar harness to mine. Was simple enough, the only special tool was a plastic rivet tool. I also used the Draw-Tite hitch since it has a higher rated capacity. I cannot recommend using these two together. The trailer connector mount interferes with the hitch.

Pete

boogie

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
I did the curt hitch and wire kit and it works great

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Retirement From Oil Refinery
I ordered the curt receiver & Mopar wiring harness. It’ll be a little different on the receiver because the def tank

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If you don't need a trailer brake, the install is pretty easy. I got a Draw Tite class 3 receiver ($82) and Curt 4 pin harness ($67) on Amazon. The hardest part was running a wire from the module at the tail light to the battery...I went underneath the Jeep with zip ties, didn't touch touch the interior.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FK93VMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXB25YA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Did any of y’all have to have the dealership flash the computer to make the Mopar trailer wiring harness work i have non LED taillights if it matters

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
@Texops
I used Mopar pn 82216359aa, it is the one with 7 and 4 pin trailer connector and the wiring runs under the Jeep along the frame rail to the battery.
I just pulled a small trailer with the 4 pin connector with no issues. I didn't have the dealer flash anything.

Now I just need to figure out where the blue (trailer brake wire) wire hooks up under the hood on my 21 JLURD. Anybody know?

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi 392 Wrangler
Occupation
@Texops
I used Mopar pn 82216359aa, it is the one with 7 and 4 pin trailer connector and the wiring runs under the Jeep along the frame rail to the battery.
I just pulled a small trailer with the 4 pin connector with no issues. I didn't have the dealer flash anything.

Now I just need to figure out where the blue (trailer brake wire) wire hooks up under the hood on my 21 JLURD. Anybody know?
That i think goes to whatever trailer brake controller you choose, but i used the curt wireless one so mine is just taped off under the hood

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
That i think goes to whatever trailer brake controller you choose, but i used the curt wireless one so mine is just taped off under the hood
Yes, I know that it goes to the brake controller, the question is how. I have the plug on the driver side kick panel and somehow it needs to tie into that plug. There must be a spot under the hood or why would they ha e you route it there.

Sponsored

Fullfree

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe MY22, Volvo XC60
@Texops

Hi @RudeJeepin:

Can you be so kind as to help me with a question? I'm just looking to buy this kit instead of an aftermarket one, I don't know if You have the safety package installed, like blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts, parking sensors, reversing camera but if the answer is yes, can you please tell me if when you connect something to the 7-way connector, if this system disconnects by itself these or not?, my Volvo XC60 with the original trailer kit does this automatically and keeps the front sensors and other systems on.

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

RudeJeepin

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Hi @RudeJeepin:

Can you be so kind as to help me with a question? I'm just looking to buy this kit instead of an aftermarket one, I don't know if You have the safety package installed, like blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alerts, parking sensors, reversing camera but if the answer is yes, can you please tell me if when you connect something to the 7-way connector, if this system disconnects by itself these or not?, my Volvo XC60 with the original trailer kit does this automatically and keeps the front sensors and other systems on.

Thank you very much in advance for your time.
Sorry, our Wrangler doesn't have any of the blind spot or parking sensors.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I want to add a hitch so I can buy a dual bicycle carrier or some kind of rack for the hitch in the future.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I ordered from Quadratec....I know lots of bad press but found it went smoothly. Easy install..did not have to remove the
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding tow package? 20220514_111216
bumper. Hardest part was running wire to battery.
Sponsored