First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
I had the deal install the auto start for my 2018 Sahara JLU. It came with two new fobs. They said the old fobs should still work. They do not. How do I pair the old fobs while keeping the auto start fobs?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I had the deal install the auto start for my 2018 Sahara JLU. It came with two new fobs. They said the old fobs should still work. They do not. How do I pair the old fobs while keeping the auto start fobs?
@Grateful1

Do your two old/original fobs have the X2 remote start button on them?

OP
OP
Grateful1

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Go back to the dealer and get them to program them in. They should have done it when they installed the remote start. When installing the remote start you have to program in the supplied keys and they could have done your original keys with a few clicks of the mouse.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go back to the dealer and get them to program them in. They should have done it when they installed the remote start. When installing the remote start you have to program in the supplied keys and they could have done your original keys with a few clicks of the mouse.
@Mr Lee

If the old fob(s) does not have a remote start button on it, just how do you think they can program the fob to do remote starts...... :CWL: Kind of a no brainer.... they can't...

Mr Lee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No of course they wont remote start but they could lock, unlock and start the vehicle couldn't they? If they didn't get programmed than they are garbage, at least they could be spare keys. The op owns them has paid for them and they should be made to work.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No of course they wont remote start but they could lock, unlock and start the vehicle couldn't they? If they didn't get programmed than they are garbage, at least they could be spare keys. The op owns them has paid for them and they should be made to work.
@Mr Lee

For sure,.... agreed.... if the dealer had wanted to be bothered.... the old fobs without the remote button, could have also been programmed along with the 2 new remotes that had the remote start buttons. Of course the two old, would not have remote start ability..

Were I the OP, @Grateful1 , I'd go back and ask to speak to the Service Dept. Manager... I would not assault him .... 8-) but would politely ask him to do the right thing so to speak and have his Tech, program all 4 fobs again, so they ALL work with the vehicle..

OP
OP
Grateful1

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
@Grateful1

Then, no go in regard to using them to remote start...
No. Not using them for remote start. Just be able to have two spare fobs for valet or a family member in case key fobs are lost or something. Also you can use the fob without battery to start the Jeep

OP
OP
Grateful1

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
Yes and you can also use the fob to start without a battery by press the silver corner to the start button. Take the key blade out for hiking without the bulk of the fob. Open door then use the fob to start.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Not using them for remote star. Just be able to have two spare fobs for valet or a family member in case key fobs are lost or something. Also you can use the fob without battery to start the Jeep
@Grateful1

I hear ya... I'd go back and ask to speak to the Service Dept. Manager... I would not assault him .... 8-) but would politely ask him to do the right thing so to speak and have his Tech, program all 4 fobs again, so they ALL work with the vehicle..

By the way, cut key blade in those fit/work with your JL even if you do not reprogram those 2.

OP
OP
Grateful1

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
@Mr Lee

If the old fob(s) does not have a remote start button on it, just how do you think they can program the fob to do remote starts...... :CWL: Kind of a no brainer.... they can't...
Really guys. Not for the remote start portion.

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I thought I read that the JL can only have 2 keys programmed to it at any time. Not sure if that is true. My JK I had 4 keys.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really guys. Not for the remote start portion.
Believe it or not...
I thought I read that the JL can only have 2 keys programmed to it at any time. Not sure if that is true. My JK I had 4 keys.
@captainstabbins
Your memory serves you correctly...you were close... I believe 4 fobs in regard to a JL/JT, programmed is max. I know for sure, 3 is ok, as I have 3 programmed.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I suspect the install procedure has them delete the existing non-remote start keys, then add the new ones. I would be surprised if they couldn't add the old ones back in.
Sponsored