Adding proximity locks retroactively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
We have a rubicon JLU and one of few options we did order is the proximity locks. Does anyone know if they can be added without to much trouble or expense. Asked dealer just got a vague look. Thanks
@Easttnrhino

Well, in today's day and age, I guess nothing is impossible..... but no you will not be able to do this.

Last edited:

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
The door handles and caps are about $90 a piece. They are in the parts system on any online part dealer. You’ll need 3 - Front left/right and tailgate. Rear doors are not proximity equipped. What’s not clear is if additional antennas are needed, where they go and wiring harnesses. Wiring may be there already. And then does your vehicle need to be flashed?

You can also get a techauthority subscription plug in a vin for a proximity equipped JL. You can plug in your VIN look at the various assemblies and note differences. There is no option “show me all the parts for passive entry”. Very few dealers will do this background work.

This is how I would do it:

1. Get the tailgate handle part numbers
2. Pull tail gate trim. Look at wiring see if there is an unused connector near hAndle
3. Get a 24 hr subscription to techauthority. ($24.99)
4. Look at wiring diagrams (need to install a viewer progrsm on PC, which is where you should be doing this - not phone)
5. Match wires for passive entry wiring diagrams to open connector (you hopefully found)
6. Order handle and install. See what happens. In the event the handle is the antenna you may be all set. Is there anything that can be enabled in uconnect or does it just work? Or not?
7. Follow steps above for driver door. I would not order more than one handle at a time. Then do pass door.

One of two results:
1. $90 or so wasted (I dont consider tech authority subs. a waste!). You find the additional parts and processes and lack of dealer support make this cost prohibitive

2. For about $3-$400, some research, and some minor labor you got proximity working.

Very few if any dealer is going to do this research. Additionally, if you have access to techauthority you’ll know almost as much as them. Sometimes more.

Also, if you get a one day subscription to techauthority, download and take screenshots of as much as you can.

I had this feature in my Outback. Miss it. Yeah, lazy, I guess, but not having to reach in my pocket, grab fob, push button became very convenient.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I did a little more research on this. If Jeep is like any other manufacturer, the handle IS the antenna. So it really comes down to

1. Are the doors pre-wired for this feature. Might be trim level dependent, always, or not at all.
2. What must be done to enable once installed? Dealer config? Something that could be added to the Taser feature set?

I'll pull my tail gate trim this weekend see what wiring is there and if it matches the passive entry wiring diagram.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I didn't think I would miss this as much as I do. Getting that giant key out of my pocket is such a hassle.

Let us know what you find out.
Yep, I agree. Especially with push button start. You don't need to scrape around for the key to start and drive the Jeep, but you still need it to get in the Jeep. That's retarded.

Thankfully, I believe adding the feature wouldn't be all that bad. The one good thing about today's CAN-BUS wiring architecture is that it makes parts and pieces easy to add later. I remember on my F-150 I traded in for this Jeep, if you didn't have factory remote start all you had to do was turn it on in the computer and plug the antenna in under the dash. Effectively, ALL the trucks were built ready to accept the add-on, making it easy to add.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I think you are probably right. My Outback was prewired for everything. I think it will come down to adding the handles, and possibly jumper harnesses as the body harness already supports the CAN-BUS connection. As I saw no jumper/harness that seemed specific for this system, it is probably just the handles. Essentially some level of "proximity' is already installed with the push button start. It will really come down to what needs to be done to enable software wise, if anything, will the dealer do it (iffy), or can you do it now or at a later date with a product like Taser.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
There’s a thread on here somewhere, and they priced out the parts to do it at 12-1400.
Big difference from the prices being mentioned in this thread. Not sure who’s right, so proceed with caution.

Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I stand corrected. There are five (5) antennas, all same part number in various locations for the passive entry system. It seems there is a bracket and antenna for each location. Two screws needed. $25 total (each). So that is $125.

According to the description and diagrams (I can send anyone docs with a PM). The handles, antennas, RF module, keyless entry module are all that is needed. RF module and keyless entry are on all models (maybe not base). What's not clear is if the wiring for the antenna connections to the RF module are present. Requires a panel pull to see. If the cables are not there, I'm out!

If they are, according to the FSM, the RF module already knows the key fob is a valid key for the push-button start, so nothing needed there. But whether or not there is some required flash needed is not clear. Does not appear to be. Only talks about this when you have to replace RF module or key...

If it could be done for about $400 - handles, antennas, misc parts. I'd do it. I'll pull the easiest trim panel I can to see what if anything of this system is present.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I confirmed I have an LF Antenna left rear quarter and one in the dash. I want to confirm all 5 are present but there is little doubt in my mind they are. The RFH module has wiring to all 5 antenna locations.
There should be wiring to the door handles but I'll confirm that this weekend.
If all of these items are present, I will order the rear tail gate handle and see what happens.

All of this information is available from Chrysler Tech Authority. https://techauthorityonline.extra.chrysler.com

Anyone attempting to add this or say BSM, or just about any other in-depth DIY endeavor, should spend the $ and become familiar with this manual. This is what the dealer uses. It has all current TSBs, recalls, wiring diagrams, parts (more than online parts dealers), operation description. And you can filter by VIN, or just see everything for a particular model. You will also be more knowledgeable when speaking to a service rep. With a new model like the JL, most will have no clue what you need to do what - they will have pretty much no prior experience to fall on and need to start from scratch looking up everything.

$25 for 24 hours
$35 for 3 days
$130 for a dvd - does not include subscription.

If you pay for a time subscription, download ALL you can. App will allow you to save small stuff as PDF, big files cut and past into word, wiring diagrams saves as SVG (viewable with adobe).

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the handle I'll report back my findings.

After reading the "Description and Operation" in the FSM few times, generally, I read the system as operating like this:

Pushing the lock button, or putting your hand near the capacitive handle sends a signal from the handle sensor down the receive wire to the RFH module. The RFH module will wake up the key fob via the LF antennas to ensure it is present, in range, and registered. If all is good a lock/unlock command is sent to the appropriate door lock(s) by the RFH and BCM. I think there are features in uconnect that determine if all or just driver door is unlocked. I believe those are present on mine. I'm not reading that any of this requires any special programming. If the fob is registered to the RFH/BCM modules (and it MUST be for the key to start the vehicle, or unlock the doors with a button press), then you should be good. Now, maybe something has to be flashed, not sure. But I can't see what. It is not that expensive of an option to add to a Sahara or Rubicon - $495. Not even an option for a Sport or Sport S. It may be that the wiring is not present on a Sport S. Someone with a Sport S will need to verify.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.