First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
Good morning guys and gals... question about adding oem options to a 18 sport JL. I was kinda regretting not shelling out the money for a rubicon, but that quickly went away with all the aftermarket addons. I was wondering if I can add or diy OEM options like heated mirrors, dual climate control, the upgraded digital cluster, heated seats, power mirror...? Would these parts work right out the box if I purchased used or from mopar? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? BTW.. i'm very handy with a wrench so I think I can save money on labor. Plus I already installed remote power door locks and power windows. Thanks in advance...
Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Anything is possible with enough time and money but just about everything you mentioned is not going to be plug and play, especially if you have a base level sport.

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Good morning guys and gals... question about adding oem options to a 18 sport JL. I was kinda regretting not shelling out the money for a rubicon, but that quickly went away with all the aftermarket addons. I was wondering if I can add or diy OEM options like heated mirrors, dual climate control, the upgraded digital cluster, heated seats, power mirror...? Would these parts work right out the box if I purchased used or from mopar? Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? BTW.. i'm very handy with a wrench so I think I can save money on labor. Plus I already installed remote power door locks and power windows. Thanks in advance...
I would trade it in for a Rubicon.

...way to much money and time to install all that on a sport.

OP
OP
Mrmojo78

Mrmojo78

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
I would trade it in for a Rubicon.

...way to much money and time to install all that on a sport.
I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger for a 20 rubi... give this one to the wifey!

Sponsored

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
As stated, if your set on having all those options, go get a rubi with all the bells anf whistles

I bought a sport knowing what i was getting and what i wanted to do with it long term, no regrets

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I was not aware the digital cluster varied between models. What is the difference?
The Sport Models default to a more basic looking gauge cluster.

cdb3af94e0fe6df9b4154fb94187ba7c-jpg.jpg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
All the options the OP mentions are available on the Sport S. Amazing how everyone on this board defaults to recommending everyone buy a Rubicon.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@Mrmojo78 if you've already added the power locks and windows, I'd just end it there haha. For me, the power locks are the ONLY thing I miss on my JL Sport compared to my wife's Sport S. Everything else is just fluff - the standard HVAC panel heats and cools the cabin the same way, and even the base radio is not much different in terms of sound quality when balanced correctly.

I do like the look of the all-digital gauge cluster though...someday when I'm bored and my wife doesn't need to use her Sport S, I'm going to pull the cluster out of hers and see if it'll work in my base Sport. I believe it will, but haven't tried to confirm.

As an aside, the small harness that powers the center cluster for the heat/AC panel on a base Sport looks to be the same as the Sport S which has the dual climate control. Whether the blend doors and all other associated stuff to control different temps from side to side are actually inside the dash remains to be seen, but the actual panel ~should~ be plug-n-play. The harness looked exactly the same when I had that section of the dash out to install the Quadratec 12v harness to add extra USB ports in our JLs. I am also not sure the base radio will play with the extra volume control being located in the lower stack on the Sport S. I guess that would be another thing I could try to plug in and test.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
All the options the OP mentions are available on the Sport S. Amazing how everyone on this board defaults to recommending everyone buy a Rubicon.
The OP could install all of this on their sport but when it comes time to trade in all that money will be lost.

The smarter thing to do would be to trade in now and spend the money on a rubicon with all the options they want over dropping $10k to do dana44s, lockers, sliders, lift, electric sway bar d/c, and all the extra small options rubicons get by default.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The OP could install all of this on their sport but when it comes time to trade in all that money will be lost.

The smarter thing to do would be to trade in now and spend the money on a rubicon with all the options they want over dropping $10k to do dana44s, lockers, sliders, lift, electric sway bar d/c, and all the extra small options rubicons get by default.
The OP said nothing about lockers, sway bar disconnect, D44... He only wants bells and whistles and "fluff". I believe he can have his VIN updated to reflect the OEM changes? Not sure about that tho.