Adding Homelink to JL Sport

Roweski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Do all sports have the wiring in it? My doesn’t have power Windows or door or anything else 😂
I know it's been over 2 months, but I just checked for the wiring in my JL Sport. Like you, mine is the barest of bones. Only option is AC. I do not have a lighted vanity mirror, so there is not even a plug for the visor. There is a harness that runs over to the airbag cluster above the rearview mirror. I'm curious if I can steal power from from one of those wires. Now to find a diagram...
Sponsored

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Do all sports have the wiring in it? My doesn’t have power Windows or door or anything else 😂
No the non s doesn't have the wire connectors for adding home link but you can purchase them from the dealership.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I got my Jeep, changed out the visor, and ready to post the results.

1 - Purchase the Homelink visor. Mine was part number 6BR80TX7AM for the JLU and I paid $ 78.07 for it.
2 - Get an ODB programmer that works with Jscan and download Jscan. (You will need to purchase it for something like $20 specifically for your VIN).
2 - Acquire a 12+8 cable and hook to the Jeep by unplugging the SGW (Secure Gateway) and connecting cable to the CAN bus (the only side the 12+8 cable can be hooked up on)
2a (optional) - Now is the time to install an SGW Extension Cable. I got mine from Z Automotive and works great. You will thank yourself for doing this later.
3 - Swap out the stock visor for the Homelink visor. The plug to the visor is attached and I see no reason why all Wrangler models would not have the power wire prewired for Homelink, but you can tell once you take it apart. I assume no liabilities here, it is easy to look prior to purchasing anything.
4- You have to take off the trim on the driver's side of the roll cage (4 screws and remove). Pretty easy. This exposes the wiring harness.
5 - After installing the new Homelink visor and replacing trim, program your JL to "Homelink=Active" via Jscan, you should be good to go.
6 - Program Homelink to your garage doors.
7 - Enjoy your new Homelink and now you have toe tools to further customize your JL.

Easy easy and will operate as factory-installed with power being on before being able to operate the Homelink system.

I attached a couple of photos of the stock non-Homelink visor and you can see there is no wire on one of the pins. The Homelink visor has all wires, as does the harness.

Sorry, I should have done a Youtube video, but it went quick and I had no issues.

Let me know if this works for you!

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg
I just bought one Brand New through https://parts.chryslerjeepdodgecityofmckinney.com/ , Can't beat the price $73.37 + $15.00 shipping to Hawaii! I'll let you know how it goes...

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Non S sports will need a different windshield wiring harness Part number
68397121AC-001

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
Non S sports will need a different windshield wiring harness Part number
68397121AC-001
Thanks for the clarification! I took a chance on mine, but hard to spend the $595 for the remote start (That I already got in the cold weather package) and the garage door opener. Only thing is that when the dealer got it to look at my backup lines, they wiped it out. They basically made my system useless BTW, as they tried to fix the backup lines. Arghh...

Sponsored

henryb

First Name
henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler sport limited
i have a question i bought slightly used visor set from ebay. i wanted to test it out before removing parts from my jeep. i wanted my opener to be hot all the time i park it in my basement. can i put 12 v from a spare battery to the red and black pins on the plug and make the light come on for the vanity light i have the yellow wire soldered to the red wire for the gdo. i tried this hook up on both visors i got neither one will turn on the light.

henryb

First Name
henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i bought another visor on ebay it was $105 brand new. the other ones i bought from two different sellers didnot work out .one was damaged with water and the other was the passenger side mis labeled on eBay, but the third worked fine, i had to wire it to the vanity side of the red wire and soldered the connections. the genie i had gave me issues right before i got the visor so i installed a new screw drive 2hp in its place . took some hair pulling but i finely got it programed . works great happy to see the install come to a end, kinda difficult to install by ones self .

henryb

First Name
henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202984503128 this is the type of bought on ebay i was brand new in a mopar box. i think this is his last one. it worked great on a 2021 jl wrangler. i didnt have the third wire so i wired it to vanity red wire just like described . but you want find another at this price
Sponsored