Sponsored

Adding hitch receiver to 2018 JL Sahara?

wampeter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler • Sahara • I4 2.0L
I have been considering adding a hitch receiver to my 2018 JL Sahara (obviously did not come with the tow package) primarily for the ability to attach accessories such as a bike rack. Not currently intending to use for serious towing.

Wasn’t able to find great threads about this and was just curious how easy/difficult this was to do? Any thoughts on Mopar vs. other aftermarket hitch receiver? Is this all that I would need to order if I did Mopar?
https://store.mopar.com/accessories...s-hitch_receiver/hitch_receiver_82215209.html

If I just add the tow hitch receiver now, can I add the rest of the tow package (aux buttons, wiring) at a later date if I want the ability to do more than add an accessory?

Thanks for any advice! Clearly I’m new at the whole mod thing...
Sponsored

BlueSV650

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S

ely-bound

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 FJ60, '19 JLUR 3.6 MT
I installed a receiver hitch for my 2019 JL. Keep in mind the JK hitches will fit as well. I spent less than $25 for a new JK hitch on ebay. I also installed a trailer wiring kit from etrailers. The wiring took half a day for me to install. The hitch was not bad at all. As the previous post recommended, take your time and pick out a hitch that will meet your needs to clear the back/spare tire for your type of bike rack. I have not tackled installing the AUX switches. Good luck.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
If you just want to add the hitch you can. You can add the wiring later. The Mopar tow and aux wiring harnesses are very labor intensive. I would suggest adding the tow harness and aux switch harness at the same time. Without going into too much detail, you have to remove the front passenger inner fender liner, all the trim pieces on the inside passenger side, both tail light for the tow harness. For the aux harness, front passenger inner fender liner, front passenger trim pieces where you disconnect the front passenger door, the center bezel (infotainment center) comes almost completely apart. Also you will need a plastic rivet gun to re-rivet new plastic rivets for the fender well. You also have to convince your wife you can do it all in one. Saturday is date night after all. Yay, so there is that. I’m still going to tackle this install after I return from deployment.

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager
I have been considering adding a hitch receiver to my 2018 JL Sahara (obviously did not come with the tow package) primarily for the ability to attach accessories such as a bike rack. Not currently intending to use for serious towing.

I highly suggest checking

CJPONYPARTS.COM
JEEPSAREUS.COM
JUSTFORJEEPS.COM

They are usually cheaper. There is on place I cannot remember. Bamwarehouse.com I think.

This one is only $184

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215209.html

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
If you just want to add the hitch you can. You can add the wiring later. The Mopar tow and aux wiring harnesses are very labor intensive. I would suggest adding the tow harness and aux switch harness at the same time. Without going into too much detail, you have to remove the front passenger inner fender liner, all the trim pieces on the inside passenger side, both tail light for the tow harness. For the aux harness, front passenger inner fender liner, front passenger trim pieces where you disconnect the front passenger door, the center bezel (infotainment center) comes almost completely apart. Also you will need a plastic rivet gun to re-rivet new plastic rivets for the fender well. You also have to convince your wife you can do it all in one. Saturday is date night after all. Yay, so there is that. I’m still going to tackle this install after I return from deployment.
Very easy fix for an intense labour task. https://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPin...9tLnlvdXR1YmUuY29tL3dhdGNoP3Y9eEZsZkdpbWhBa0k

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
HR Manager

Sponsored

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
Is this for a JL with LED lights?
The clips should be the same, Mopar doesn’t sell two different wiring harnesses that I can see anywhere for regular or LED. I was looking into getting the hitch and come across this instead of the nightmare install from Mopar.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Install is incredibly easy. I got the Mopar hitch for a fraction of the price by not ordering the kit that most sites offer for like 100 bucks or whatever, but instead I ordered literally JUST the hitch and bought the screws/nuts at a hardware store for a few bucks. Probably spent like 30 bucks.

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
I'm thinking of adding this hitch for a bike rack. I'm hoping that since it has a longer receiver tube I won't need a hitch extender.

index.png

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I'm thinking of adding this hitch for a bike rack. I'm hoping that since it has a longer receiver tube I won't need a hitch extender.

index.png
Looks exactly like the one that I ordered from etrailer yesterday. It's a little longer and came with bolt kit.
Sponsored