Sponsored

Adding hitch receiver to 2018 JL Sahara?

Bronx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I just installed a Curt hitch with the Mopar wiring harness and had the same issue as JMurph. What I did was took the hitch off and drilled a hole in it where the threaded mounting hole is on the frame. When installing the connector bracket I loaded the opposite underside of the bracket with some stainless steel washers so it was the same distance to the frame on both sides (or close to it). I would have preferred to use a single piece of steel of the correct thickness but the washers were readily available and nobody can see it without crawing under there to look. Also dabbed some Loctite 242 on the bolts before inserting them so the shouldn't come loose over time.

Another smaller issue is the Mopar connector that attaches to the 4/7 pin connector is close to the back of the hitch so I had to put it on before snapping the 4/7 pin connector in the bracket. There wasn't enough room to get the Mopar connector on after snapping the other one in the bracket. In hindsight I could have assembled them in the bracket before mounting it to the Jeep, but didn't think of doing it that way at the time.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Got my hitch from e-trailer and the wiring package that goes inline with your brake lights so no splicing or cutting necessary. Hardest part was running the power wire to the fuse box up to the engine but they have a great video showing you how. Actually ran the wiring through the frame rail. Hitch looks great IMO.

Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - Class III - 2"
Item # 76104

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/76104.html

Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
Item # C56407

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C56407.html

IMG_5252.JPG

I was just looking at this hitch as well. It has a rating of 675 lb tongue weight and 4500 lb tow, when used with a weight distributing hitch system. I think this is the hitch I'll end up with. I'm planning on a trailer that is in the 3000-3500 lb empty weight range, that I can use with the Jeep or my truck.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm concerned about mounting the connector under the bumper. I'm pretty sure I've dragged the hitch on most of my vehicles when off road. Looking for a higher/more protected location.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I was just looking at this hitch as well. It has a rating of 675 lb tongue weight and 4500 lb tow, when used with a weight distributing hitch system. I think this is the hitch I'll end up with. I'm planning on a trailer that is in the 3000-3500 lb empty weight range, that I can use with the Jeep or my truck.
I added that hitch to our Jeep and am pleased enough with the results. I had to make a custom bracket to mount the mopar wiring harness on the other side.

48919693862_3390ab24cf_c.jpg

48918957068_b5e525a972_c.jpg
48919693787_798b7acb0e_c.jpg
Sponsored