Sponsored

Adding front camera?

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Anyone know if it's possible at a reasonable price like if ordered from factory pricing, to add the front camera after purchase?

Looking to get a 4xe which are hard to come by right now with all options I want w/o having to order from factory.

If I got one w/o the front camera would that be possible to add later? or would only option be an aftermarket one perhaps?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If I got one w/o the front camera would that be possible to add later?
Yes, you can add one. You will need to make sure the vehicle has the 8.4" radio. Then you can purchase one of these. You will also need one of these to program the vehicle so it can use the new camera.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Yes, you can add one. You will need to make sure the vehicle has the 8.4" radio. Then you can purchase one of these. You will also need one of these to program the vehicle so it can use the new camera.
Is the 7" radio able to add a front camera?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is the 7" radio able to add a front camera?
Not with the items I detailed above. I'm not aware of any other options for adding a front camera.

MatthewAMEL

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '23 CT5 Blackwing, '18 Accord Touring
Does the Tazer Mini touch the ECU? Do dealers freak out about it?

I'd like to get the TrailCam, but I also have a 7/70 B2B I don't want to mess with.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does the Tazer Mini touch the ECU?
Yes. It has to program/flash the vehicle so that it knows about the camera.

Do dealers freak out about it?
Depends. But the rule of thumb is to unmarry the Tazer and remove it from the vehicle before bringing it to the dealer for service.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Anyone know if it's possible at a reasonable price like if ordered from factory pricing, to add the front camera after purchase?

Looking to get a 4xe which are hard to come by right now with all options I want w/o having to order from factory.

If I got one w/o the front camera would that be possible to add later? or would only option be an aftermarket one perhaps?
A little late to reply but yes. However, it's way more involved than one would expect. You have to replace the rear camera and it's wiring harness, along with a video processor and a whole slew of other parts. Then there is all the washer fluid stuff, not sure if that can be left off.

There is another thread on here were someone did it. I think parts were well over $1000.

Other option is to use an aftermarket camera and hook into a spot for a cargo camera. However, it's only a low resolution input.

I've been exploring options to do this with a mirror monitor based dash cam but there is no perfect solution. Plus I think the ACC sensors block most or the mirror/monitor combos.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You have to replace the rear camera and it's wiring harness, along with a video processor and a whole slew of other parts.
This isn’t necessary. The kit I refer to above is pretty much plug-and-play. The only caveat is that you need the 8.4” radio (which the OP gets with the 4xe) and a Tazer to activate it. Total cost is way less than $1000.

Also replacing the rear camera typically degrades the quality. The OEM camera is high definition.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
This isn’t necessary. The kit I refer to above is pretty much plug-and-play. The only caveat is that you need the 8.4” radio (which the OP gets with the 4xe) and a Tazer to activate it. Total cost is way less than $1000.

Also replacing the rear camera typically degrades the quality. The OEM camera is high definition.
I don't think replacing the rear camera would degrade quality. I think it was explained that the oem trail camera package had a different video processor and needed a different rear camera as well that wasn't compatible. This video processor feeds both both rear and trail cam to the single HD input on Uconnect. I think the biggest difference was the aperture for the back camera.

All that wouldn't be so bad but the wiring harness to the rear camera is supposed to the problem. I tried to find that thread but came up empty.

What I'm not sure about is if this holds true for 21 models.

I was looking at going the aftermarket option too, but was bummed that it's not high def and gets called the cargo camera. I may still do it.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying the Tazer front camera. (I already have the Tazer Mini on order.)

My question is about the bull bar on the aftermarket steel bumper that I have, and if it will create a problem with vision. Mounting on the bottom side of the square tube bull bar may be an option, too.

Just wonder if others have played with camera placement.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking about buying the Tazer front camera. (I already have the Tazer Mini on order.)

My question is about the bull bar on the aftermarket steel bumper that I have, and if it will create a problem with vision. Mounting on the bottom side of the square tube bull bar may be an option, too.

Just wonder if others have played with camera placement.

Thanks,

Jeff
I have the same question. Might mount camera to the bar rather than the grill

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I am planning to run a camera under the Jeep (already have front cam) and just picked this up on prime day :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Adding front camera? 61psmkbmYHL._AC_SL1500_

I do have a couple of questions for those who have done this tho. When I activate the cargo cam, will I lose the Jeep camera icons? Also, does anyone know where to source the female rca to 2 pin adapter for the Uconnect plug?

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding front camera? 71D-qcSmxtL._AC_SL1500_

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Everyone,

Getting around to the camera... May not mount it for a few weeks; but, trying to get my ducks in a row.

Has anyone mounted the camera in a way that isn't interfered with by the bull bar?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

A follow-up to my previous posts about the camera.

I have the wiring routed from the the front bumper area back through the firewall plug and up to the location below the 8.4" display.

I may be overthinking this... Just curious what others have done with the excess cable length. Is there anything to be concerned about as far as leaving any excess inside the dash, under the trim that's removed which has the radio controls and the ignition switch attached?

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored