Adding electronic sway bar disconnect

Jas0n

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Would it be possible to add the rubicon sway bar disconnect to a Sport S JL? Someone in my local area is selling theirs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
In my opinion youā€™re be suited with some jks, Mc, Currie sway bar disconnects vs the Rubi style. The ease is attractive but simplicity is better. Weā€™re adding manual disconnects to my Jeep for reference

Brett

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
I added normal disconnecting sway bar links from Rubicon Express so I gotta say.... consider those instead. Install is super easy and taking them off is incredibly easy. Yes, you do have to take a few minutes to get them back on and depending on where youā€™re parked, it can be tricky but itā€™s really not that bad and in my opinion worth it for the cost.

IF these auto sway bar discos could be installed, I imagine the price is high. And I hear people complain about the motor failing pretty easily too... food for thought

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
They will bolt in just the same, the challenge will be wiring but once wired, you can use a TazerJL to activate it on the dash and integrate it as though it were OEM. We make long travel links for Rubicon E-Disconnects that will allow you to stay fully connected and just use the push button to unlock the front end. http://rockkrawler.com/jl-rubicon-no-limits-sway-bar-links/

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
Would it be possible to add the rubicon sway bar disconnect to a Sport S JL? Someone in my local area is selling theirs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
You can, as I have done on a 17' JKU Sport, added the rubicon E-Disconnects... But I converted to air through Evo on demand with a small arb compressor under the hood. I used the smallest ARB compressor for disco and F & R lockers.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
They will bolt in just the same, the challenge will be wiring but once wired, you can use a TazerJL to activate it on the dash and integrate it as though it were OEM. We make long travel links for Rubicon E-Disconnects that will allow you to stay fully connected and just use the push button to unlock the front end. http://rockkrawler.com/jl-rubicon-no-limits-sway-bar-links/
Interesting.. I read the Tazer manual and all the instructions are for "setting" parameters on how the sway bar disconnect operates.. I did not see any options to actually "disconnect" the electronic sway bar using the Tazer.. I have a 2018 JL Sport Unlimited and I recently bought a used electronic sway bar disconnect from a Gladiator model... I understand the complexity of getting the electronic sway bar to work on a basic JL Sport since the there is no provision on the menus to actuate the sway bar disconnect... nor there is a button to disconnect.. I am familiar with electronics and I see that the electronic sway bar is quite a complex device that can only be controlled via CAN Bus... there are few challenges in order to adapt an electronic sway bar disconnect to a basic Sport model:

a) Connection to sway bar... if you go to http://connectors.dcctools.com/ and search for 2018 - 2020 JL Wrangler or Gladiator then scroll down and click on "MODULE-AUTOMATIC SWAY BAR" this is what you see... I have no idea if the Sport has this connector/wiring populated.. I have to check.. I don't know the connector part number yet in case I want to make one myself

upload_2020-3-20_11-17-54.png

b) "Sway Bar Disconnect" switch assembly.. which is needed not only to be able to operate the Sway Bar.. but to send the CAN Bus command data required so the Sway Bar can disconnect... this link provides more detail about the signals and power to the sway bar:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUTOMATIC-SWAY-BAR.pdf

c) Would the Tazer even be able to command and configure the way the Electronic Sway operates?.. I certainly doubt the computers on the basic Sport model have the intelligence to detect an Electronic Sway Bar is present and to display it on the console..

Anyway.. this install has become one of my new challenges.. and I am excited about it... I love a challenge, specially if it involves electronics.. :) .. I will update this thread as I find more information... fortunately this will lead to others to be able to install the electronic version of the sway bar and be able to operate it with a simple press of a button instead of having to deal with manually disconnecting / reconnecting the sway bar.. and guys... please spare me the lecture about how much more better a manual disconnect is.. I have it.. and I don't like it... as simple as that.. I want electronic sway bar disconnect !!.. period!..

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
Well good luck. Seem bound and determined to make it work so let us know when you get it working!

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Any luck getting this to work? I'm intrigued by this as a possibility...

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any luck getting this to work? I'm intrigued by this as a possibility...
Hey fellas... I have not been able to look into this yet.. I have been busy trying to adapt the rear axle of a Gladiator to my Sport.. lots of cutting and grinding! ...

About the Sway bar disconnect... it is certainly not an easy task.. but!.. mostly because of the cabling... see... I have not been able to find the connector that connects to the sway bar... it is a Hirsmann 872-585-531 .. it is a 8 pin connector... I have not found any vendor in the US that sells them... or anywhere else worldwide for that matter....

The simplest way to achieve this would be:

- Ask the dealer to Flash the rig so it can gain the ability to generate the CAN data to activate the Sway Bar

- Install the Mopar 56046716AC Locker and Stabilizer Switch ... not an easy feat since there you have to wire it to the LIN Bus and provide power to it.. also.. no idea where to install it ... I don't believe there is an opening on the dashboard for it.. here is the link to the switch.. it is cheaper on mopar online:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/l...tch-jeep-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt-rubicon

- Either get lucky and find a connector or wire harness kit for the sway bar.. (uhm.. perhaps junkyard find?) .. or you will have to fabricate an interim connector between the sway bar and the rig.. not exactly a simple thing to do.. but it is doable..

Since I am a cheap bastard what I really want to do is extract the Sway Bar CAN Bus codes from a Rubicon and then assemble a module that includes a microcontroller running Arduino that generates and injects the CAN codes directly to the CAN Bus.. the difficult part is that I don't know anybody who has a Rubicon who is willing to allow me to hack into the CAN Bus ... I never received a reply from Tazer asking about the possibility of the Tazer to generate the CAN Bus sequence to arm / disarm the Sway Bar .. that would be the easiest way to control it for us who have a Tazer installed... it is totally achievable by Tazer since the module has access and generates CAN bus commands and basically has complete control of the CAN Buses on the JL

Last edited:

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is definitely the simplest option... but I imagine it is unappealing for somebody who is trying to install the electronic version... this solution is perfect to fix an electronic sway bar disconnect where the electronics have failed..

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
This is definitely the simplest option... but I imagine it is unappealing for somebody who is trying to install the electronic version... this solution is perfect to fix an electronic sway bar disconnect where the electronics have failed..
While not fully electric, their air actuated version could still be operated through electric solenoids. Plus you would end up with on-board air.

Keep going on your project though, I want to see what's possible with CAN Bus modding.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Iā€™m just starting to look into this now. The factory fit along with a manual or air operated option is appealing.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I made this piece to manually actuate the sway bar disconnect... similar to commercial versions... if you are handy and have some scrap metal then this is a cheap option... unfortunately with COVID it has been impossible to connect with somebody with a Rubicon who is willing to allow me to connect to the CANBus and steal the codes.. LOL

Jeep Wrangler JL Adding electronic sway bar disconnect 1611690646005

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I would like to know what frame pieces and bolts are needed to bolt the Rubicon sway bar in. If there is a schematic, I wonder what I would search for online?
Sponsored