Sponsored

Adding blind spot and bumper sensors

StitchtheJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler unlimited Sahara
Hi, I purchased a (pre-owned) Sahara last week, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. Unfortunately it does not have all the bells and whistles, so I was wondering if I can add it on? I would like to add blind spot monitoring and bumpers with sensors. Will they work if i buy them oem or aftermarket? Or am I out of luck? Please help. Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
StitchtheJeep

StitchtheJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be glad that you don't have that crap. Give it time and the vehicle will be an extension of you and you won't need most of those sensors.
The previous car I had before had it all. I guess its just a matter of getting use to not having it anymore, like back in the day. Lol

Last edited:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
With mirrors the size of a lorry, it puzzles me why they introduced that blind spot stuff anyway...
That said, I do not have it, and removing one of my tail lights a while back, I know the wiring of mine does not support the sensors, so I doubt you can add it afterwards. Sure, a lot is possible, but then you'll have to add the wiring yourself.

OP
OP
StitchtheJeep

StitchtheJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I found this while searching for answers. It be available to purchase later in the summer. Hopefully it's compatible.:fingerscrossed:

Screenshot_20200709-170123_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Must be a + $1.000 kit, seen the pricing of the taillights only.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
If you set your mirrors correctly there will be no blind spot. Blind spot occurs because people dont set their mirrors correctly, they set them too close to the side of the car and you are actually not supposed to see the side of the car. Once mirrors are set up correctly you will be able to see cars on the mirror until they hit your peripheral vision.

In terms of bumper sensors, you have a camera on the back. use it. and for the front, visibility in the Wrangler is very good you wont hit anything (famous last words)

Waste of money imho. Use the 1k for some good tires, disconnects, toplift pro, roof rack, metal bumper, real rock sliders. so many options.

OP
OP
StitchtheJeep

StitchtheJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you set your mirrors correctly there will be no blind spot. Blind spot occurs because people dont set their mirrors correctly, they set them too close to the side of the car and you are actually not supposed to see the side of the car. Once mirrors are set up correctly you will be able to see cars on the mirror until they hit your peripheral vision.

In terms of bumper sensors, you have a camera on the back. use it. and for the front, visibility in the Wrangler is very good you wont hit anything (famous last words)

Waste of money imho. Use the 1k for some good tires, disconnects, toplift pro, roof rack, metal bumper, real rock sliders. so many options.
I like that idea better. Thanks :like:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt an aftermarket system will work. FCA kept running into trouble with the BSM in development. Turns out the protruding fenders were triggering the sensors. That’s the reason they ended mounting them inside the tail light housings.

I can’t imagine buying a factory BSM would be cheap, or installing it would be easy.

Good luck!

Sponsored

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
So, yes, you can add them after the fact. Its not easy, but doable. The sensors output the LED signal with a direct LED driver. What you would need is
1) pair of the sensors
2) harness
3) either the new mirror or just a LED bulb
4) both tail light assemblies

If memory serves me correctly, the harness is 6 pins.
+12vdc,
CANH
CANL
GND
LED
L/R address

Im sure the pinout and harness PN is available somewhere
You would have to tap into the VCAN somewhere. This is required for vehicle dynamics (speed, transmission, etc). I think a OBD port adapter works.
Run a 16awg up to the front on both sides for the LED
get 12V to the harness
Its been 5ish years since Ive had to do this, but its somewhat straight forward.

Is all the effort worth it? probably not, but its a fun engineering exercise

Source: I used to work at the OEM that made the BSM system

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've added bsm to a 2019 base jeep wrangler sport. Its not so bad. But I've added every option that you can get on the jeep except the driveline mods. I have taken off the street wheels and have AT's on the rubicon suspension though. You can get the tail lights after market and I paid $200 for the pair. I bought the bsm modules used from a wreck yard for $20 for the pair. The tail lights have to be LED and support BSM. The OEM ones are very expensive. Even the wreck yard ones they are getting, or at least, trying to get retail for them. They are listed on ebay, just search "wrangler JL led tail lights blindspot" and you'll see plenty at $200 or less. The mirrors are on ebay also. Similar price.
Sponsored