Adding a home/Jeep XM radio

bdhszy1

First Name
richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport
I just got a 2018 jeep JL sport and it does not have XM installed. I have a home /car unit that I had in my F150 and have installed it in the JL, but I am having trouble with reception. The antenna is on a very long cord so I can put it almost anywhere, it is small, not much bigger than a pack of matches, and it has a magnetic base which means that it is not going to "stick" to 90% of the JL. I get great reception with it stuck to the roof with double sided tape, but just have the wire feeding thru the freedom panel for now. Would like to keep it on the roof as I don't plan on removing it and would like any suggestions on how to feed the wire up there permanently.Thanks
Sponsored

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I would try to move it to the space right in front of the windshield and behind the wipers. You can then feed the antennae wire through the hood and either passenger or drivers side firewall. I did this with my JK and it got great reception.

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
No need to mount it on the exterior. You can mount the antenna on top of your roll bar where the factory one gets installed. It's steel, so your magnetic mount will work. That's where I mounted mine, no reception issues at all. You will have to remove, or at least slide the hardtop back to gain access, way too tight to get your hand in there. I ran my wire down the a-pillar and then through the dash. Took me about 30 minutes.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
No need to mount it on the exterior. You can mount the antenna on top of your roll bar where the factory one gets installed. It's steel, so your magnetic mount will work. That's where I mounted mine, no reception issues at all. You will have to remove, or at least slide the hardtop back to gain access, way too tight to get your hand in there. I ran my wire down the a-pillar and then through the dash. Took me about 30 minutes.
I did basically the same thing with my Sport. I have an older Sirius Onyx receiver and I mounted the antenna on top of the roll bar. I have no issues with reception up there, and that is where the factory installs the satellite antenna on factory equipped JL/JLUs. I hid the wire inside the speaker trim panel, down inside the B pillar, under the carpet, and up inside the center console for a stealthy installation. It's not hard to do, just take your time and don't force any of the plastic pieces.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP

bdhszy1

First Name
richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport
Thanks Guys! I stuck the antenna on top of the roll bar and the reception is good so far. I am taking a 100 mile trip tomorrow and if all is good, I will run the wire up to the head unit permanently.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Too much trouble. I use the SiriusXM app and use the USB or Bluetooth to stream it off my phone. Super easy, nothing to install.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Too much trouble. I use the SiriusXM app and use the USB or Bluetooth to stream it off my phone. Super easy, nothing to install.
Joe,

Not always a practical solution converting the satellite signal to terrestrial. This only works if you are an urban dweller. Take your Jeep anywhere outside line-of-site (LOS) cellular tower coverage and report back how well it works. Using your phone is sometimes much worse than having no antenna at all.

Perhaps in TX cell towers are on every street corner and sage brush outcrop and your state is just too big and populated to drive out of. Here in CO, driving nearly anywhere outside of any urban corridor, the mountains (or vast grasslands and prairie) have zero cellular coverage. Even the foothills just miles outside of Denver are dead zones.

I know I'm being Captain Obvious but receiving a signal from 22,236 miles above your head sometimes has it's advantages.

Jay

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Jay,

Did I mistakenly post in the CO forum?

I’m not sure if that post is a humble brag, a flip off or both.

Yep. Damn cell towers are everywhere here. Even offshore oil platforms all have them. There are very few places where you get no coverage down here.

Perhaps my post will help someone else as I didn’t realize that I was responding to an issue only relating to those in The Rockies.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Slight hijack of the thread, but where does the stock XM receiver wire run? Is it Top of center Roll bar -> Passanger side -> A-pillar and down?

Clarification: I have a JLU.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Jay,

Did I mistakenly post in the CO forum?

I’m not sure if that post is a humble brag, a flip off or both.

Yep. Damn cell towers are everywhere here. Even offshore oil platforms all have them. There are very few places where you get no coverage down here.

Perhaps my post will help someone else as I didn’t realize that I was responding to an issue only relating to those in The Rockies.
Joe,

No brag, flip off or anything bad intended.

I'm simply pointing out (and leaving Colorado out of it) that there are quite a few places in the entire country, mostly rural, that doesn't have cell coverage. A satellite receiver is the only reliable solution.

Yes, living in San Antonio gives you that cool option. However not everyone has the luxury of living in a bath of RF energy like you do.

Continue to enjoy your audio anyway you chose to acquire it... Or not.

I personally like having zero dead-zones wherever I drive. Even if my Jeep is on some ferry sailing past the cell range of an oil rig.

Jay
Sponsored

Last edited: