Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Billet Silver
image.jpeg

06d8e546-ddb9-4eef-8248-e6e18540d262-jpeg.jpg

image.jpg

I added a dual USB port and a 12 volt outlet to the rear of the center console on my JLU Sport S. I used this from Quadratec on the rear factory 12 volt outlet so I didn't have to cut wires (. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_9801.htm)

I had two of those on my JKU and figured they would work on the JL. Ran the wiring from the back 12v outlet in cargo area over the driver rear tire well and down under the carpet. Under the rear seats and up under the console from back rear left area passenger front seat. Plenty of space in between the air vent tubes. You need to open the top of center console and remove two hex screws at the top back of console lid. Then you can unsnap the cover over rear of console. My boys can power their gadgets on road trips now.
Sponsored

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
image.jpeg
image.jpg
I added a dual USB port and a 12 volt outlet to the rear of the center console on my JLU Sport S. I used this from Quadratec on the rear factory 12 volt outlet so I didn't have to cut wires (. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_9801.htm) . I had two of those on my JKU and figured they would work on the JL. Ran the wiring from the back outlet over the driver rear tire well and down under the carpet. Under the rear seats and up under the console from back rear left area passenger front seat. Plenty of space in between the air vent tubes. You need to open the top of center console and remove two hex screws at the top back of console lid. Then you can unsnap the cover over rear of console. My boys can power their gadgets on road trips now.
Nice! Thanks for this write up. Where can I find more information on the location of the rear factory 12 volt outlet and tapping into it without cutting wires?

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Nice! Thanks for this write up. Where can I find more information on the location of the rear factory 12 volt outlet and tapping into it without cutting wires?
PS - If you just wanted USB could you tap into USB wiring that is inside the console?

Sponsored

OP
OP
prw04

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose you could tap in the usb inside the console. I didn't want to "tap" or cut any wiring. The adapter from Quadratec allows me to plug and play so to speak. Here is a picture of the rear factory 12 volt outlet the harness adapts to. The rear panel is just snapped in. You need to remove the set belt cover and slide it up the belt. Follow the seams of the plastic and you will see where they come apart. I ran the qtec harness over the wheel well and behind the carpet. Here is a pic of the end of the harness wrapped in tape after I connected my wires from new outlets. I just ran my wires under the carpet up to the rear of the passenger seat where there is a carpet opening right at the rear side of the console. Fed it up through the back of the console. Drill out your holes and your done. Power for the kiddos gadgets.
Rear panel outlet.jpeg
Rear panel carpet conn.jpeg

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I suppose you could tap in the usb inside the console. I didn't want to "tap" or cut any wiring. The adapter from Quadratec allows me to plug and play so to speak. Here is a picture of the rear factory 12 volt outlet the harness adapts to. The rear panel is just snapped in. You need to remove the set belt cover and slide it up the belt. Follow the seams of the plastic and you will see where they come apart. I ran the qtec harness over the wheel well and behind the carpet. Here is a pic of the end of the harness wrapped in tape after I connected my wires from new outlets. I just ran my wires under the carpet up to the rear of the passenger seat where there is a carpet opening right at the rear side of the console. Fed it up through the back of the console. Drill out your holes and your done. Power for the kiddos gadgets.
Rear panel outlet.jpeg
Rear panel carpet conn.jpeg
Thank You!!

OP
OP
prw04

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Do you know if this harness fits the 12 volt port in the front? Looking to use it to wire my cb since I don’t have the aux switches...yet

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Do you know if this harness fits the 12 volt port in the front? Looking to use it to wire my cb since I don’t have the aux switches...yet
It's not really advisable to connect your CB to anything vehicle power source as the vehicles electrical system could cause interference. If you can run a dedicated power wire off of the battery, that'd be best.

Sponsored

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I apologize in advance for going a little off this post’s original subject

@kkuntz01 Good point - I ran it using this harness in my JK and didn’t have issues. My major challenge is getting to the battery without removing the fender liner. I know there’s a grommet behind it that allows you to fish from the cab to the engine bay to install the aux switches and trailer harness. I haven’t found anything but, do you know if it’s possible to go through the grommet from the cab to the engine bay without removing that fender liner to pull your wiring through? (I apologize in advance for going a little off this post’s original subject)

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I apologize in advance for going a little off this post’s original subject

@kkuntz01 Good point - I ran it using this harness in my JK and didn’t have issues. My major challenge is getting to the battery without removing the fender liner. I know there’s a grommet behind it that allows you to fish from the cab to the engine bay to install the aux switches and trailer harness. I haven’t found anything but, do you know if it’s possible to go through the grommet from the cab to the engine bay without removing that fender liner to pull your wiring through? (I apologize in advance for going a little off this post’s original subject)
Not sure at this time as I’m still waiting for my JL to deliver.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
image.jpeg
image.jpg
I added a dual USB port and a 12 volt outlet to the rear of the center console on my JLU Sport S. I used this from Quadratec on the rear factory 12 volt outlet so I didn't have to cut wires (. https://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_9801.htm) . I had two of those on my JKU and figured they would work on the JL. Ran the wiring from the back outlet over the driver rear tire well and down under the carpet. Under the rear seats and up under the console from back rear left area passenger front seat. Plenty of space in between the air vent tubes. You need to open the top of center console and remove two hex screws at the top back of console lid. Then you can unsnap the cover over rear of console. My boys can power their gadgets on road trips now.
Can you post a pic from inside your console? I ordered a couple of outlets and they seem fairly deep. I am wondering how far they extend into the inside of the console .

OP
OP
prw04

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it does work for the front outlet. I used one there to hookup the rear heated seats.

OP
OP
prw04

prw04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06D8E546-DDB9-4EEF-8248-E6E18540D262.jpeg

Can you post a pic from inside your console? I ordered a couple of outlets and they seem fairly deep. I am wondering how far they extend into the inside of the console .
No necessary. A photo from inside the console will show nothing. The back of the console comes off.
Sponsored