Sponsored

Added spare tire LED brake light, now having sporadic issues. Wondering if anyone else had similar issues.

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
So about a week ago added a LED round spare tire brake light to my JLU, it was just one of the ones with bare wires that needed to be spliced in, anyway, pulled the cover off the factory third light bracket and spliced in, easy peasy, only thing was like zero wiggle room in there, but seemed fine, put it all back together and everything worked fine. fast forward a few days and I am backing in the garage and noticed that neither the factory light or the spare wheel light were working. Had the wife follow me around the neighborhood a bit and she said it was like 50/50 on whether it worked or not, so, i figured that it may have a loose or pinched wire, take it all apart and everything looks fine, had one spade connector that was maybe questionable so swapped that out and buttoned everything up once more, tested it in the garage and everything was great. Went out for like a 15 minute ride, parked had the wife jump out and check, and neither light was working again. Outboard brake lights were fine. Get it home, getting ready to rip it apart again but check it out first and everything is working again.

Before I go tearing into it again, figured I would throw it out here and see if anyone has any input, I know these new vehicles are sensitive to changing things out particularly lighting related, but not throwing any codes or warnings, so I am thinking that's not the case. Only other thing that I can think of is maybe I tugged a little too hard and nicked a wire down in the tailgate or something, there is like zero slack on those 2 little wires going to the factory 3rd brake light. More than likely I messed something up on the install, but before I go back in and start from scratch, this time I am just going rewire the whole damn thing, thought maybe someone has had similar. Sorry for the novella!! TIA!
Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Is the brake light kit LED? They are sensitive to polarity. Might just be defective. I have one on mine and one on hers and no issues.

OP
OP
Riperoo

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Is the brake light kit LED? They are sensitive to polarity. Might just be defective. I have one on mine and one on hers and no issues.
Yes, it is. I rewired everything yesterday, everything was working fine, going to give it some time to be totally satisfied.
Sponsored