Sponsored

Added Mirror Turn Signals

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
I've always thought having the turn signals visible to the sides via a side marker is of huge benefit safety-wise when making lane changes, etc. Really wanted to add the turn signals in like they come on the Euro-spec models and finally took a crack at it this weekend.

For starters, my US-spec JL had power/heated/blindspot monitor mirrors to begin with.

I ordered the Euro-spec version of the mirrors that had the same specs power/heat/blindspot + turn signal indicators. Thanks to @RocketScientist for the help with getting the part numbers. Anyone interested for these specific versions of the mirror they are:

Right 68281902AD
Left 68281903AD
(Last two letters may be updated to new rev like AE or AF)

These part numbers above include the following options:
-blind spot (XAN)
-black texture (LE4)
-heated (GTB)
-turn signal (LES)

The big question was would the wiring be present? All indicators I could find from speaking to others as well as my research on Tech Authority showed the turn signal wire would NOT be present. This turned out to be correct, it was NOT plug and play. The other features (heat/blindspot/power) worked plug and play since that was already on my JL from the factory, so just the turn signal wire needed to be run. The indicator is grounded already through the mirror so you don't need to run a ground.

I ran a wire from the front LED turn signals (the green/white striped wire was tapped on each side) for each respective mirror. Wires were run into the cab, into the cloth wire harness and into the doors up to the mirrors. I added disconnects at the mirrors and at the doors for door removal.

With the mirrors, the blue/black wire is the one that needed to be routed for the turn signal feed. I pulled the wire out of the mirror plug, added a connector to it, and plugged that into the turn signal wire I ran up to the mirrors.

Very happy with the results. Also the Euro-spec mirrors have different convex areas than US-spec, they both have convex areas on the outer parts. I found this gives a huge improvement in visibility on the driver's mirror especially.

Install took me about 4 hours for the first side just figuring things out, testing, finding the best way to do it, and then only about an hour for the second side. I removed most of the clips for the fender liners on the front to have access to the wiring there.

IMG_1446.jpeg

IMG_1447.jpeg

Another option: is to purchase and add the lights only + new covers on your existing mirrors. Apparently when you buy just the covers they come with a semi-glossy finish for some odd reason. I didn't want this so I ordered entirely new mirrors.

Not 100% on these P/Ns but I think these are correct for the lamps, you would also need the covers

Lamps: 68361957AA and 68361956AA
Covers: unknown (if anyone knows PM me and I'll add them here)

Photo of the parts/glossy covers from this method from @RocketScientist

4EE63B95-5B20-4E10-8B88-6C2730C0F50B.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@paulr

You are a real handy fruck! Good for you.... all your mods are nicely done and more. I especially like this one!

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
@paulr

You are a real handy fruck! Good for you.... all your mods are nicely done and more. I especially like this one!
:) Hahah thanks! This one was not for the faint of heart but I managed somehow not to break any clips or trim from removing the fender liners to the door panels etc. :whew:

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I am all over this one. Love it! I just want to add the turn signal function and keep everything else.

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Great job. A couple of questions.

1. Did you order the European parts through an American (stateside) dealer or somewhere else?
2. You listed four additional part numbers. Are these needed in the ordering process in addition to the mirror part numbers?
3. You mention the option of adding only the lights. Is this done by replacing the existing cover over the current internals (mirror, wiring, etc.)? I am guessing that the turn signal resides in the new housing but none of the other internals are present.

Thanks for doing this and for sharing the details of your project. Well done.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Great job. A couple of questions.

1. Did you order the European parts through an American (stateside) dealer or somewhere else?
2. You listed four additional part numbers. Are these needed in the ordering process in addition to the mirror part numbers?
3. You mention the option of adding only the lights. Is this done by replacing the existing cover over the current internals (mirror, wiring, etc.)? I am guessing that the turn signal resides in the new housing but none of the other internals are present.

Thanks for doing this and for sharing the details of your project. Well done.
1. you can order from any dealer

2. there are only 2 part numbers listed above, those are the 2, the others are option codes included in those part numbers

3. for adding the lights you would need to swap out your exterior covers so they have the cutout for the light, add in the light (which I think bolts right in), and then wire up the light, the turn signal is a separate part from the cover so those would be 2 individual parts but the main internals of the mirror would remain as is in your original mirror, none of that is attached to the cover

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Looks like both have been updated, ending with AE.
I like these but it's over $300 for mirrors.........

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Looks like both have been updated, ending with AE.
I like these but it's over $300 for mirrors.........
never said it was cheap :)

you can cut the price by about 1/2 if you grab just the covers/light modules (again the covers are semi glossy for some reason when bought separately)

edit: added a photo of how the glossy covers look above and the PNs for the lights only, dont have the cover PNs

Sponsored

Tragdor

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Vehicle Showcase
No kidding. Just more explaining I have to do..... What do I use for these.. "But honey these will keep up safe"... Needs more.:facepalm:
Let me know what you find works best. I need to borrow that line for my significant other as well! :D

Retlaw

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
Ordered a set and looking forward to swapping them in!
Wasn’t planning on buying new mirrors this weekend, but the lack of signal and convexed outer edge always annoyed me and your post put it back to the forefront of my ocd

The Canadian Mopar sites I checked wouldn’t return results for those part numbers listed so I ordered the full mirrors out of the states.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
1. you can order from any dealer

2. there are only 2 part numbers listed above, those are the 2, the others are option codes included in those part numbers

3. for adding the lights you would need to swap out your exterior covers so they have the cutout for the light, add in the light (which I think bolts right in), and then wire up the light, the turn signal is a separate part from the cover so those would be 2 individual parts but the main internals of the mirror would remain as is in your original mirror, none of that is attached to the cover
Understood. Thanks for the clarification.

OP
OP
paulr

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Do you think that there’s any chance at all that a dealership would do this install or is it going to be something they refuse to touch?
Honestly I don’t know. I would think most would refuse to do it the way I did it. They might do it if you buy all the appropriate euro spec wire harnesses (there would be multiple and very costly and annoying to swap out) and hooked it up that way.

Maybe some of the dealers that have custom off road shops might since it’s more of a custom job I would say. It’s not that different in concept than wiring up some aux lights or something. Who knows but my gut would be no for a standard dealer tech.
Sponsored