Sponsored

Add the OE Amp to 7" non-premium stereo

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
I know most folks go for adding an after-market amp to their stereos, but i'd like to go another direction. I have a 2019 Wrangler with the 7" non-premium stereo.I'd like to simply buy and add the Mopar OE amp for the premium stereo and add it to mine. Can this be done? Is the wiring for the amp already in the dash somewhere? I've been unable to find any references to whether this is a possibility or not. I would love an easy plug and play type solution to enhance the sound. I don't mind replacing speaker at same time. Just do not want to get involved in re-wiring everything. Any help is appreciated if this is doable.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you go by how the JK was setup, the answer would be no. I'm fairly certain the JL is setup the same way, in that the wiring for the premium Alpine system is not in place if the vehicle did not come with it. If it were an easy plug-and-play upgrade, people would be doing it.

OP
OP
WRGLR-JL

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
If you go by how the JK was setup, the answer would be no. I'm fairly certain the JL is setup the same way, in that the wiring for the premium Alpine system is not in place if the vehicle did not come with it. If it were an easy plug-and-play upgrade, people would be doing it.
Thanks for response. I started thinking the same thing when I didn't find much talk of it anywhere. Then I thought it might just be due to the newness of the JL model. I'll have to rethink the after market amp again.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
After reading similar JK and JL posts...The cost of getting and installing the factory components (are you wanting the sub, too?) will exceed the cost of a better aftermarket setup.

My advice would be to either talk to someone at Crutchfield to hook you up with quality stuff if you’re willing to do a little DIY, or take it to a reputable local sound shop and see what they say.

OP
OP
WRGLR-JL

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
After reading similar JK and JL posts...The cost of getting and installing the factory components (are you wanting the sub, too?) will exceed the cost of a better aftermarket setup.

My advice would be to either talk to someone at Crutchfield to hook you up with quality stuff if you’re willing to do a little DIY, or take it to a reputable local sound shop and see what they say.
Thanks. I have done the full amp, speaker and interface harness route in my previous 2 wranglers. I was hoping this time to just add the factory amp, at about $200 plus maybe a harness cable I thought this a nice inexpensive way to go. I was going to leave the speakers "as is" and no to the sub install. Just hoping for a little extra "umph" to my system for now. I'll check out Crutchfield as well.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Thanks. I have done the full amp, speaker and interface harness route in my previous 2 wranglers. I was hoping this time to just add the factory amp, at about $200 plus maybe a harness cable I thought this a nice inexpensive way to go. I was going to leave the speakers "as is" and no to the sub install. Just hoping for a little extra "umph" to my system for now. I'll check out Crutchfield as well.
Check out the Alpine PWD-X5, I have it just havent installed yet. Its an 8" sub with a 165W, a 4ch amp for the main speakers at 25W/ch, and a built in DSP with full eq and time correction, slick kit. Hoping it sounds great when I get to installing it
Sponsored