Sponsored

Add spacers to Mopar lift, or change lifts?

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Looking to pick the brains of some of the more experienced members here. I currently have the Mopar lift and am running 37" KO2's on a -12 offset wheel with 4.5" backspace. Im going to test things out next weekend on a ramp but I'm pretty sure my sport fenders are going to rub and the rear possibly get pulled off. So I have a few options on the table. Granted, the KO2's run pretty small so I may get lucky and have no issues.

Option 1. I already have the Teraflex spacer leveling kit, that's 2" front and 1.5" rear, sitting in my parts bin. I could put those on and be good to go but I'm pretty sure Im going to need adjustable control arms at that point. Would I also start getting into driveshaft angle issues? And at what point do you have to do a draglink flip? Anything else I'm missing that would need to be considered?

Option 2. Change lifts to a 3.5" lift. This is the most expensive option and one Im hoping to avoid to be honest.

Option 3. Just change to high top fenders such as Rubicons or any other fender that add's 2" of wheel clearance.

Just looking for opinions and direction so I appreciate any info.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Bump is what sets flexed tire clearance for the most part. Ride height (lift height) doesn’t really matter.

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Bump is what sets flexed tire clearance for the most part. Ride height (lift height) doesn’t really matter.
So possibly just change the bump stops and call it a day for now? The only downside being a bit less flex?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So possibly just change the bump stops and call it a day for now? The only downside being a bit less flex?
You’ll want to make sure you still have reasonable uptravel for ride quality (don’t want to be bottoming out).

Swapping fenders is a good idea so you don’t have to bump too much.

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Swapping fenders is a good idea so you don’t have to bump too much.
Based on running 35’s on sport axles with no rubbing, Im betting swapping fenders, combined with the D44 axles, wouldnt have any rubbing. Thats probably where I need to start before introducing more driveline issues.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to pick the brains of some of the more experienced members here. I currently have the Mopar lift and am running 37" KO2's on a -12 offset wheel with 4.5" backspace. Im going to test things out next weekend on a ramp but I'm pretty sure my sport fenders are going to rub and the rear possibly get pulled off. So I have a few options on the table. Granted, the KO2's run pretty small so I may get lucky and have no issues.

Option 1. I already have the Teraflex spacer leveling kit, that's 2" front and 1.5" rear, sitting in my parts bin. I could put those on and be good to go but I'm pretty sure Im going to need adjustable control arms at that point. Would I also start getting into driveshaft angle issues? And at what point do you have to do a draglink flip? Anything else I'm missing that would need to be considered?

Option 2. Change lifts to a 3.5" lift. This is the most expensive option and one Im hoping to avoid to be honest.

Option 3. Just change to high top fenders such as Rubicons or any other fender that add's 2" of wheel clearance.

I wouldn’t do option 1 , that’s gonna put you over 4 “ lift . Option 2 is the best option, especially if you do a complete kit…. But option 3 is where you should start… cycle the suspension to see how much clearance you actually need to come up with and go from there. With the Mopar lift shocks, no need to worry about ds. When you get 28-29” ext length shocks then you’ll need to get a ds… Mopar shocks are 26.5 ish ext. drag link flip isn’t needed unless you get up over 4-4.5” of lift….

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

I like option 3. Here’s a couple pics of my Sport with Rubi flares on mopar lift, 37 Nitto RGs, with same wheel specs as yours. Note, this was a pavement princess 😆

7EC16682-9AB9-4746-8A71-D4DD1A950170.jpeg

6357E051-AF3A-4153-A072-1DBAE668FA1F.jpeg

16520FFE-8E3D-448B-8960-11EED6189C7F.jpeg

526B480C-584A-4B87-B654-9D8EAAD245A1.jpeg

DE88722F-EB5A-4F47-A92A-9F0B0DDF59CF.jpeg

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I wouldn’t do option 1 , that’s gonna put you over 4 “ lift . Option 2 is the best option, especially if you do a complete kit…. But option 3 is where you should start… cycle the suspension to see how much clearance you actually need to come up with and go from there. With the Mopar lift shocks, no need to worry about ds. When you get 28-29” ext length shocks then you’ll need to get a ds… Mopar shocks are 26.5 ish ext. drag link flip isn’t needed unless you get up over 4-4.5” of lift….
Thank you for the great explanation. Im going to call my local dealer tomorrow and see if they have a set of high top fenders. If not I’ll have to order them from Quadratec.

I like option 3. Here’s a couple pics of my Sport with Rubi flares on mopar lift, 37 Nitto RGs, with same wheel specs as yours. Note, this was a pavement princess 😆
Yeah based on those pics, the flares look like the place to start. That adds quite a bit of clearance.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the great explanation. Im going to call my local dealer tomorrow and see if they have a set of high top fenders. If not I’ll have to order them from Quadratec.

Yeah based on those pics, the flares look like the place to start. That adds quite a bit of clearance.
Take a look on Facebook Marketplace, may get lucky and find some Rubi flare takeoffs. If not, @AllMoparParts.com is good place to order from as well 👍🏻

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When you stuff the rear wheel look at the rear pinch seam, you may have to clearance that as well. I’m running the same bs/offset as you and when I had that lift on I was hitting it. My Nittos also run about an inch under true 37…….

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door

Jeep Wrangler JL Add spacers to Mopar lift, or change lifts? DE88722F-EB5A-4F47-A92A-9F0B0DDF59CF

Jeep Wrangler JL Add spacers to Mopar lift, or change lifts? DE88722F-EB5A-4F47-A92A-9F0B0DDF59CF

Sport… with 37s? Did you regear? 🤔

OP
OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
When you stuff the rear wheel look at the rear pinch seam, you may have to clearance that as well. I’m running the same bs/offset as you and when I had that lift on I was hitting it. My Nittos also run about an inch under true 37…….
Will do. Probably would have missed that so thank you.

Mine is also a sport with 37's. Axle swap with 5.13's

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK

option 3 fenders and buy adjustable arms later. More lift without adjustable arms isnt ideal at all. If you clear the 37s at full flex with fenders there’s no reason to add additional lift and likely you’d benefit from more articulation instead.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
For my use no. Plan was to swap in Rubi takeoff axles but ended up ordering a new Jeep instead. I transferred the 37s over to new ride and put the 35 KOs on Shadow to sell.

B7B3771D-4624-4913-B729-B11440DA8C0E.jpeg

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

If you feel like you've caught the bug and will keep modding, I would either look at an aftermarket set of fenders or gutting a set of Rubi's when you install them. Just to keep you from having to pull them off again.

You'll easily be able to increase your ramp flex with longer shocks, and remember that will increase the rotation. On the ramp, start looking for clearance both up and in. Consider taking a tape measure and photos, if you're in the drivers seat you may have to get info from someone else.
Sponsored