Add Power Locks and Remote Start to Jeep Sport Unlimited JL

braddyg

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys Sport
I just got a 22 JLU Willys Sport and definitely interested in adding the power locks. Following and researching more…
Sponsored

Rollfam

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU EcoDiesel
I just got a 22 JLU Willys Sport and definitely interested in adding the power locks. Following and researching more…

I’ve been reading thru a couple of these threads and it seems no one ever reports that they actually got any of this to work, other than the beginning of this one where the front doors were working and sort of ended there. Im in same situation. 2022 JLU sport. Would love to add OEM power locks rather than an after market system.

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4runner 2019 wrangler sport
I’ve been reading thru a couple of these threads and it seems no one ever reports that they actually got any of this to work, other than the beginning of this one where the front doors were working and sort of ended there. Im in same situation. 2022 JLU sport. Would love to add OEM power locks rather than an after market system.

I believe you have to run your own wires from all the doors (including the hatch) all the way to the BCM ( there is no factory harness replacement from what I have researched)

Just get the aftermarket one from bestbuy ( the cost is only ~500)
and yes you will have to carry another remote with you
Believe me you will thank me later
After dumping so much time and $$$ into the factory looks & locks I wish I never read the original post :(

braddyg

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Willys Sport
I actually don’t mind carrying another remote, although of course I’d rather not have to. With that said, here are the things I’m trying to accomplish:

- doors can still be taken off easily
- no aftermarket actuators (just factory replacement latches)
- minimal/basic manual wiring

Is there a solution that gives all of these without spending an arm and a leg to have someone install it? I’m fine with the mechanical stuff but extensive wiring isn’t my area of expertise.

Moto pamba

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
the rear doors connectors have the dark green/green and violet/purple wires that run the power latches, much easier to tap also

Sponsored

Moto pamba

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
i used an Idatastart remote start, it connects to the can bus. it activated power locks and alarm. i didnt need to go to the dealer. Also their remote has a better range than OEM

Moto pamba

First Name
Moto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU
I just picked up the wiring harness last night and plan to install it today. Once you have power locks enabled by the dealer, you need to replace the wiring harness as I’m told the lock that comes with the Jeep for the tailgate is a power lock latch.
it's manual latch on the base sport etc, you need this Part Number: 68282968AB

Rollfam

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU EcoDiesel
I bought the remote start kit and they had to turn on power locks for it to work. Maybe see if they will do it if you buy the remote start.
Quick question if you see this. Can I add the OEM remote start kit without OEM power locks. I purchased the a1 electric kit for the locks. Since the door lock signal wires already exist on the Sport, I’m thinking the remote start kit will work after the dealer enables it.

Rollfam

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU EcoDiesel
i used an Idatastart remote start, it connects to the can bus. it activated power locks and alarm. i didnt need to go to the dealer. Also their remote has a better range than OEM
please explain. Do you have remote locks. I looked idatasrart up and they have very little info on what they offer and how it works.

Sponsored

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL that I purchased used that had no power locks or power windows. I have wired it for those items and also for power mirrors. I have yet added the mirrors, still messing with the power locks. I have the oem locks installed with the oem switches, I can lock and unlock the doors from either front door. Sure I can go the route of using an aftermarket alarm kit and even get one that does remote start on a manual. If I could really use the OEM keyfob to control it, then I would. I encountered the same problems that others have with getting the remote programmed to work with the RF Module. When I query the RF module, it reports RKE (Remote Key Entry) has not been installed. This is different from the Proximity Sensors in the door handles, and has a separate entry for them which can be enabled. I have researched the installed RF module in my Jeep and according to the dealer, its the same one that's installed in the sahara and rubicons. I'm not sure if it doesn't include RKE and thats why its not working? The only other 2 RF modules that are available in 2019 are for automatic Jeeps. One is the base automatic and the other is the remote start version. I bought a rf module for an automatic to play with, but my version of tools to modify the pin in the RF module is for a JK and not a JL. I can read the remote pin, but no way to reprogram the replacement RF module.

I have played with changing the the Vehicle model to a rubicon to see if that will force it enabled, with no luck. That did nothing but mess with the Airbag module communications with the BCM. I got scared, and put it back to a wrangler jl, and the error code stayed!!!!! But disconnecting the battery for 5 min and reconnecting and clearing the code worked, so I'm relieved...

One question I do have, is it possible to have a wrangler jl with manual transmission and RKE? If so, then I"m on to something, just need to get that RF module from that vehicle, and set the pin for my jeep.

IF you have a manual transmission Wrangler JL, with RKE, and you have the ability to scan the part number, please do. I think JSCAN will let you do that. You could also get it by looking at the part number on the RF module but thats an involved request

Last edited:

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here are some notes that I have preened from TechAuthority. Hope you all find it helpful.

1) RF Hub or Remote Frequency Hub is the main player for RKE (Remote Keyless Entry). It is is pretty much the primary device for all KeyFob/Wireless activities as all devices such as Remote Start and Proximity Entry must pass thru it to in order to work as the RF Hub is what talks to the BCM. Here is verbatim from T/A "The RF-Hub, along with the BCM, is the primary RKE system controller.... The RF-Hub marries itself to the BCM and PCM with an Immobilizer Access Code using a high security encryption system called Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) at first key on in the assembly plant."

So going by T/A, no RF Hub module = no RKE. Since it ties to the BCM and is "married" to it you must have the dealer program it or have the ability to modify/ replace a BCM to pair with the RF Hub module. The remote start module is not required for RKE and from what I have read the remote start kit is just an antennae module that connects to the RF Hub. So for manual transmission owners (the few and the proud), if you can get your dealer to pair an RF Hub module to your system then the rest looks to be gravy.

2) Telematics Module is part of the UConnect system. To have full control of the RKE system such as being able to go into the settings on your display and finding the door lock options your UConnect/Telematics system must have those features programmed. It also allows you as the owner to program your own Key Fobs. So the dealer was correct in providing this as a part that is needed but if you dont care about the UConnect controls from the dash display it should be able to bypass it which is good since that part ranges from $600-900 and I imagine that is because of the Uconnect 3/4/5 variations.

Based on the above I am going to go back to my dealer and ask them to order me the RF Hub Module and in the same conversation get their acknowledgement that they can do the programming for me. Then I will check to the UConnect to see if the system reads the new module. if not, I am not going worry and move to installing one door with power locks to confirm, or not, that the setup works. If it doesn't I may be out 500-600 dollars but my curiosity on this topic will be answered.

I don't have RKE but I have a RF hub. In the base models that have remotes, with no buttons, the RF hub is the passthrough and communications to the BCM for it. All Jeep Wranglers with push to start have to have an RF Hub. Even though the remote has no buttons, its still using the RF Hub to let the push to start to start the jeep. When your battery is dead in your RF remote, you press the key fob against the push to start button because it reads the RFID chip inside the remote to allow you to start with a dead remote. RKE is only for locking and unlocking the doors.

KJL

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL
I don't have RKE but I have a RF hub. In the base models that have remotes, with no buttons, the RF hub is the passthrough and communications to the BCM for it. All Jeep Wranglers with push to start have to have an RF Hub. Even though the remote has no buttons, its still using the RF Hub to let the push to start to start the jeep. When your battery is dead in your RF remote, you press the key fob against the push to start button because it reads the RFID chip inside the remote to allow you to start with a dead remote. RKE is only for locking and unlocking the doors.
Richard did you ever get this to work?

KJL

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL
Quick question if you see this. Can I add the OEM remote start kit without OEM power locks. I purchased the a1 electric kit for the locks. Since the door lock signal wires already exist on the Sport, I’m thinking the remote start kit will work after the dealer enables it.
Randy did you get your power locks installed and working and what about the remote start? I do not live too far from you as I have a lot of relatives where you are.

Rollfam

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU EcoDiesel
Randy did you get your power locks installed and working and what about the remote start? I do not live too far from you as I have a lot of relatives where you are.
Yes, installed A1 Electric kit. Works fine on all 5 doors. Only downside is having an extra remote, the remote is tiny though. Haven’t tried to add remote start. A1 kit is well done, not to difficult just time consuming.
Sponsored