Add Power Locks and Remote Start to Jeep Sport Unlimited JL

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4runner 2019 wrangler sport
@ryghigh
update please :)
also if you can update the rear door harness and the rear door gate power latch (mopar) product codes in your table that would be awesome.
looking forward to do this to my 2 door 2019 sport
Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I tried to order the remote start kit for my 2021 JLS 6 speed and the dealer said it isn't compatible even though I just wanted to use the lock functionality. So if you have the manual trans. you may have to go down another path.

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to order the remote start kit for my 2021 JLS 6 speed and the dealer said it isn't compatible even though I just wanted to use the lock functionality. So if you have the manual trans. you may have to go down another path.
I have the 8 speed auto (the only option on my 2019 sport) I think this was more about protecting the dealers liability (when it comes to remote start and manual) than the actual programming & functionality
perhaps jscan and tazer could solve this for us in the future

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RubenZ as a power lock installer "authority" do you think this install is feasable ?
the OP has not chimed in a while and I am afraid I'm gonna be stuck with a $350
remote start (82216342AA) expensive purchase.

Appreciate your reply and Happy New Year

relbek

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
Did you find a solution? I have the same issue. I believe we can use a Viper or similar system that runs about $100.

Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Did you find a solution? I have the same issue. I believe we can use a Viper or similar system that runs about $100.
I gave up. Honestly I just got used to manually unlocking them and have moved on to other upgrades.
I already find the Jeep fob to be too big so it was a deal breaker to carry another fob. However, if you want to go this route there is a good write up on this forum somewhere. If you need the link lmk.

relbek

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport
I gave up. Honestly I just got used to manually unlocking them and have moved on to other upgrades.
I already find the Jeep fob to be too big so it was a deal breaker to carry another fob. However, if you want to go this route there is a good write up on this forum somewhere. If you need the link lmk.
Thanks. I am starting to lean that way too. $600+ dollars for power door locks seems a bit much.

Crom

First Name
Conan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JK , 20 JL
I saw the post on the remote start unit and was tossing the idea around of getting it just to try but decided against it as I would hate to waste the funds potentially. So I spoke with the dealer around the corner from me and the parts department gave me two #'s that they said are needed for the Keyless Enter-n-Go option (keyfobs to unlock the doors). I am hesitant to believe the Telematics Module is needed as it ties to the UConnect module and at best it may be an upgraded unit to what is already installed for the UConnect3 system I already have. The UConnect 4 / 5 units that come with the 7" and 8" displays allow for you to use the UConnect App to remotely lock and unlock the vehicle. My suspicion is that the dealer gave me this part as one option though not the one I am after. However, the receiver module looks to be along the right line. I am thinking about getting the techauthority subscription to see if I can decipher the actual use of the Telematics module and confirm the Receiver is the right one.

Of course the other parts listed by the OP would still be needed (harnesses, lock actuators).

Receiver Module - 68449324AB
Telematics Module - 68379839AB

Crom

First Name
Conan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 JK , 20 JL
Here are some notes that I have preened from TechAuthority. Hope you all find it helpful.

1) RF Hub or Remote Frequency Hub is the main player for RKE (Remote Keyless Entry). It is is pretty much the primary device for all KeyFob/Wireless activities as all devices such as Remote Start and Proximity Entry must pass thru it to in order to work as the RF Hub is what talks to the BCM. Here is verbatim from T/A "The RF-Hub, along with the BCM, is the primary RKE system controller.... The RF-Hub marries itself to the BCM and PCM with an Immobilizer Access Code using a high security encryption system called Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) at first key on in the assembly plant."

So going by T/A, no RF Hub module = no RKE. Since it ties to the BCM and is "married" to it you must have the dealer program it or have the ability to modify/ replace a BCM to pair with the RF Hub module. The remote start module is not required for RKE and from what I have read the remote start kit is just an antennae module that connects to the RF Hub. So for manual transmission owners (the few and the proud), if you can get your dealer to pair an RF Hub module to your system then the rest looks to be gravy.

2) Telematics Module is part of the UConnect system. To have full control of the RKE system such as being able to go into the settings on your display and finding the door lock options your UConnect/Telematics system must have those features programmed. It also allows you as the owner to program your own Key Fobs. So the dealer was correct in providing this as a part that is needed but if you dont care about the UConnect controls from the dash display it should be able to bypass it which is good since that part ranges from $600-900 and I imagine that is because of the Uconnect 3/4/5 variations.

Based on the above I am going to go back to my dealer and ask them to order me the RF Hub Module and in the same conversation get their acknowledgement that they can do the programming for me. Then I will check to the UConnect to see if the system reads the new module. if not, I am not going worry and move to installing one door with power locks to confirm, or not, that the setup works. If it doesn't I may be out 500-600 dollars but my curiosity on this topic will be answered.

chgrec

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

Jayhawk714

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Fladiator Sport
Wanted to start my first post as I started following another post to add power locks to my Jeep JL that I didn't want to add the package that included locks and windows when I purchased. Looking back, I would honestly have just paid the extra which would have gotten me power windows also. But since I didn't, I wanted to do this as close to factory as I could.

I will say it is a pretty easy process but costs more then Rubenz's writeup on using an aftermarket alarm kit. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installed-power-door-locks-to-my-jl-sport.16398/

I will also add that as of this writing, the wiring harnesses for the rear doors are on backorder so I could only get the front doors working. I also don't have the lift gate harness yes, but my deal ordered it so I should have it soon.

Basically, you can follow his steps to remove the door panels and install the power latches from Rubenz's writeup, but you then would just replace the wiring harness with the factory ones for a Jeep Rubicon (it also has connections for windows, mirrors, etc). Given the wiring harness on the Jeep side is already wired for all this, you only need the door harnesses I listed below.

Now in order to get it work like it was from the factory, you will need to purchase key fobs with the unlock buttons. When I called my local Jeep dealer he said it was less expensive to order the remote start kit. So I did and now I have power door unlock AND remote start.

Here are the items I purchased and roughly the prices. As I said, I don't have the rear door harnesses yet so I can't confirm the items below for the rear wiring harnesses actually work.

Power Latches
Front left68456863AA$ 42.86
Front Right68282954AB$ 39.05
Rear Left68282961AA$ 39.50
Rear right68282960AA$ 39.50
Wiring Harnesses
Front Left68325453AF$ 40.36
Front Right68299332AF$ 45.39
Rear Right68312444AF$ 23.44
Rear Left68312445AF$ 23.20
Lift Gate??
Remote Start Kit
2 FOBS82216342AA$ 355.20
Labor to program remote start$ 135.00
Total$ 783.50
Do you have any idea if this would work on a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport?

jmoor126

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I just finished installing the OEM door actuators and the oem harness on my wifes JL. I am on step 6 (wiring the alarm) but cannot find the wires to tap into to make them lock/unlock. Can anyone advise where these wires are located under the dash and which wires for a 4 door I need to wire to?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I just finished installing the OEM door actuators and the oem harness on my wifes JL. I am on step 6 (wiring the alarm) but cannot find the wires to tap into to make them lock/unlock. Can anyone advise where these wires are located under the dash and which wires for a 4 door I need to wire to?
I'm not sure if this will help you at all, or if you already found the information you're looking for, but I just added actuators myself. Here's a photo of me holding the front passenger door connector (door side):

Jeep Wrangler JL Add Power Locks and Remote Start to Jeep Sport Unlimited JL 1629300892986

The power lock pins are the two directly above my thumbnail (the large ones). You supply positive to one and ground to the other to lock, and reverse it to unlock. I haven't got to the point where I figured out which direction unlocks or locks yet, I've just bench tested the harness and actuator.

FK8_Hoonigan

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport, 2021 Civic Type R
my 18 unl. sport has only couple wires on these plugs.
i was hoping to buy the remote start and make it trigger my locks, but since the pins are empty, i am afraid i am stuck without being able to go this route.
im confused as to what exactly is the remote start kit... is it just two fobs that are programmed to car and the car is what sends the unlock trigger signals?
or what is all in the kit? the PN for the remote kit calls out a second module being needed.

alleycat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys 2.0t
Occupation
Retired
Here are some notes that I have preened from TechAuthority. Hope you all find it helpful.

1) RF Hub or Remote Frequency Hub is the main player for RKE (Remote Keyless Entry). It is is pretty much the primary device for all KeyFob/Wireless activities as all devices such as Remote Start and Proximity Entry must pass thru it to in order to work as the RF Hub is what talks to the BCM. Here is verbatim from T/A "The RF-Hub, along with the BCM, is the primary RKE system controller.... The RF-Hub marries itself to the BCM and PCM with an Immobilizer Access Code using a high security encryption system called Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) at first key on in the assembly plant."

So going by T/A, no RF Hub module = no RKE. Since it ties to the BCM and is "married" to it you must have the dealer program it or have the ability to modify/ replace a BCM to pair with the RF Hub module. The remote start module is not required for RKE and from what I have read the remote start kit is just an antennae module that connects to the RF Hub. So for manual transmission owners (the few and the proud), if you can get your dealer to pair an RF Hub module to your system then the rest looks to be gravy.

2) Telematics Module is part of the UConnect system. To have full control of the RKE system such as being able to go into the settings on your display and finding the door lock options your UConnect/Telematics system must have those features programmed. It also allows you as the owner to program your own Key Fobs. So the dealer was correct in providing this as a part that is needed but if you dont care about the UConnect controls from the dash display it should be able to bypass it which is good since that part ranges from $600-900 and I imagine that is because of the Uconnect 3/4/5 variations.

Based on the above I am going to go back to my dealer and ask them to order me the RF Hub Module and in the same conversation get their acknowledgement that they can do the programming for me. Then I will check to the UConnect to see if the system reads the new module. if not, I am not going worry and move to installing one door with power locks to confirm, or not, that the setup works. If it doesn't I may be out 500-600 dollars but my curiosity on this topic will be answered.
Did you ever get the RF Hub Module and did it program?
Sponsored