Add Power Locks and Remote Start to Jeep Sport Unlimited JL

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler eco-diesel
Wanted to start my first post as I started following another post to add power locks to my Jeep JL that I didn't want to add the package that included locks and windows when I purchased. Looking back, I would honestly have just paid the extra which would have gotten me power windows also. But since I didn't, I wanted to do this as close to factory as I could.

I will say it is a pretty easy process but costs more then Rubenz's writeup on using an aftermarket alarm kit. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installed-power-door-locks-to-my-jl-sport.16398/

I will also add that as of this writing, the wiring harnesses for the rear doors are on backorder so I could only get the front doors working. I also don't have the lift gate harness yes, but my deal ordered it so I should have it soon.

Basically, you can follow his steps to remove the door panels and install the power latches from Rubenz's writeup, but you then would just replace the wiring harness with the factory ones for a Jeep Rubicon (it also has connections for windows, mirrors, etc). Given the wiring harness on the Jeep side is already wired for all this, you only need the door harnesses I listed below.

Now in order to get it work like it was from the factory, you will need to purchase key fobs with the unlock buttons. When I called my local Jeep dealer he said it was less expensive to order the remote start kit. So I did and now I have power door unlock AND remote start.

Here are the items I purchased and roughly the prices. As I said, I don't have the rear door harnesses yet so I can't confirm the items below for the rear wiring harnesses actually work.

Power Latches
Front left68456863AA$ 42.86
Front Right68282954AB$ 39.05
Rear Left68282961AA$ 39.50
Rear right68282960AA$ 39.50
Wiring Harnesses
Front Left68325453AF$ 40.36
Front Right68299332AF$ 45.39
Rear Right68312444AF$ 23.44
Rear Left68312445AF$ 23.20
Lift Gate??
Remote Start Kit
2 FOBS82216342AA$ 355.20
Labor to program remote start$ 135.00
Total$ 783.50
Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Did you ever wire up the rear cargo door? Thanks for the write up and info!

Mydaughtersjeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep jl
Wanted to start my first post as I started following another post to add power locks to my Jeep JL that I didn't want to add the package that included locks and windows when I purchased. Looking back, I would honestly have just paid the extra which would have gotten me power windows also. But since I didn't, I wanted to do this as close to factory as I could.

I will say it is a pretty easy process but costs more then Rubenz's writeup on using an aftermarket alarm kit. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/installed-power-door-locks-to-my-jl-sport.16398/

I will also add that as of this writing, the wiring harnesses for the rear doors are on backorder so I could only get the front doors working. I also don't have the lift gate harness yes, but my deal ordered it so I should have it soon.

Basically, you can follow his steps to remove the door panels and install the power latches from Rubenz's writeup, but you then would just replace the wiring harness with the factory ones for a Jeep Rubicon (it also has connections for windows, mirrors, etc). Given the wiring harness on the Jeep side is already wired for all this, you only need the door harnesses I listed below.

Now in order to get it work like it was from the factory, you will need to purchase key fobs with the unlock buttons. When I called my local Jeep dealer he said it was less expensive to order the remote start kit. So I did and now I have power door unlock AND remote start.

Here are the items I purchased and roughly the prices. As I said, I don't have the rear door harnesses yet so I can't confirm the items below for the rear wiring harnesses actually work.

Power Latches
Front left68456863AA$ 42.86
Front Right68282954AB$ 39.05
Rear Left68282961AA$ 39.50
Rear right68282960AA$ 39.50
Wiring Harnesses
Front Left68325453AF$ 40.36
Front Right68299332AF$ 45.39
Rear Right68312444AF$ 23.44
Rear Left68312445AF$ 23.20
Lift Gate??
Remote Start Kit
2 FOBS82216342AA$ 355.20
Labor to program remote start$ 135.00
Total$ 783.50
I talked to dealer, they looked at my VIN number and said they could not do programming. Their computer won't let them as an option for my 2021 JL.

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever wire up the rear cargo door? Thanks for the write up and info!
I just to the connector today and will wire it tomorrow let you know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked to dealer, they looked at my VIN number and said they could not do programming. Their computer won't let them as an option for my 2021 JL.
I bought the remote start kit and they had to turn on power locks for it to work. Maybe see if they will do it if you buy the remote start.

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if you could enable this with Jscan?
From what I saw it is done through a website where they put in the sales code for the feature but maybe you can. Did you ask your dealer if they would enable the power locks if you buy the remote start? That gets you 2 key fobs with the lock buttons.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
What exactly do you need for the rear.
I have extra latch mechanizm from power locks tailgate with electrical wire tail.

20201205_100417.jpg

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I also have to virgin remote start key fobs (new never programmed). $90 each pluss shipping.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What exactly do you need for the rear.
I have extra latch mechanizm from power locks tailgate with electrical wire tail.
I just picked up the wiring harness last night and plan to install it today. Once you have power locks enabled by the dealer, you need to replace the wiring harness as I’m told the lock that comes with the Jeep for the tailgate is a power lock latch.

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I can’t seem to get the tailgate to work. I purchased the power latch for it and it has all the wires needed but it isn’t locking/unlocking. I’m not sure if there is something the dealer needs to do so I’ll call them Monday.

if any of you figure it out let me know. So far I have the front doors working with the key fob and the wiring harnesses for the back doors are on back order still for me.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
So I can’t seem to get the tailgate to work. I purchased the power latch for it and it has all the wires needed but it isn’t locking/unlocking. I’m not sure if there is something the dealer needs to do so I’ll call them Monday.

if any of you figure it out let me know. So far I have the front doors working with the key fob and the wiring harnesses for the back doors are on back order still for me.
Any luck getting the tailgate to work yet? Planning to call the dealer this week and see how much they will charge me to get the upgraded keys and to program them to the vehicle. The tailgate isn't a deal killer for me but if I'm paying for everything else it would be nice.

OP
OP

ryghigh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any luck getting the tailgate to work yet? Planning to call the dealer this week and see how much they will charge me to get the upgraded keys and to program them to the vehicle. The tailgate isn't a deal killer for me but if I'm paying for everything else it would be nice.
I’m going to try calling them tomorrow. My dealer has been good to work with. The price I paid for the remote start is above. You get 2 key fobs and they enable remote start and for me they did power locks. It was worth it just for remote start, pretty cold here in Utah.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I’m going to try calling them tomorrow. My dealer has been good to work with. The price I paid for the remote start is above. You get 2 key fobs and they enable remote start and for me they did power locks. It was worth it just for remote start, pretty cold here in Utah.
Sounds good LMK how it goes. I have a 6 speed manual so I dont think ill able to take advantage of the remote start unfortunately.
Sponsored