Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise disables itself after stopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
So if you're stopped behind a vehicle you rely on the computer and not your foot.
In a car that has adaptive cruise that holds the car there, yes. Driven tens of thousands of miles without incident. You know you rely on about 4500 computers every time you get in your car right? The one they planned the car on, the one they built the car with, the one that operates the car, the one that operates the traffic signals, and the ones that operate every other car you will see on that drive. But no god dang puter 'gon operate my brake!

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Just sayin....Iā€™ve my JL-R on order with ACC, and I read in the manual it will stop you, then alert you again and let go of the brakes. Itā€™s all right there. Not tryin to fight.

And this one tickled me. Not pickin fights with this either.....turned 18, in 2005. Gahtdang Iā€™m getting old. I remember gas at 65Ā¢ a gallon, and the ā€œleaded or unleaded fuelā€, ā€œunleaded onlyā€, gas rations, passenger side mirror as a paid option, so many comforts that are standard today that were in luxury cars only. Lol, 18 in 2005. šŸ˜šŸ˜‚ Now, whereā€™s my hip.....šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜‚

Sponsored

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
When you were 18, did you guys also have to deal with snowflakes like @loudog3114

I am assuming back in that era, users such as thes were the ones who were getting smacked around a lot.

It was easier, all our stupid stuff didnā€™t have the internet to forever display. Thank god. Lol. We only have everybody else who remembers, and thankfully memory goes too as you age! Haha!!

Iā€™m sure loudog can teach me a thing or two. Sometimes people donā€™t want to read or read and forget, whatever. Itā€™s all good. Was only sayin the manual is a valuable tool.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who works in the industry and indirectly with autonomous/connected vehicles...I can tell you that we are at least a couple of decades away from seeing full autonomy be the norm. There is way too much left to do. Everything currently available is a driver assistance. And itā€™s labeled as such for good reason. Regardless of what the marketing brochure says, these systems are not designed to drive for you. It is still up to the driver to pay attention to the road and several of the systems will deactivate and stop the car if the driver isnā€™t paying attention.

The main problem with current driver assistance systems and autonomous vehicles is the loss of skill. Weā€™ve already seen here in the US that since parallel parking is no longer the norm, people canā€™t do it anymore. Same with the manual transmission. People begin to rely on these systems and they were only meant to be another tool...not a crutch. Iā€™m not saying that these systems are a bad thing...but what is happening is that these systems are an engineering solution to a people problem. If people would actually act like driving is important because they are driving a 2.5 ton weapon instead of acting like they are invincible, the number of crashes would drop. All it takes is paying attention and remaining calm...the vast majority of crashes are caused by driver inattention and aggressive driving. For example, staring at a phone instead of the road or driving too fast in the rain. Unfortunately, NO amount of engineering can fix a people problem...it can only mitigate the problems.

A big issue for many people (especially Jeepers) is that customization almost always results in reduced reliability and utility for these systems. Putting a lift on your Jeep can seriously affect the ACC and FCW systems. Some systems have some adjustability so that they can operate properly after work to the vehicle. Also, these systems can be VERY expensive to maintain or repair. Insurance premiums are sure to go through the roof as these systems become more commonplace.

One of the problems facing full autonomy is traffic laws. Our current laws donā€™t cover issues brought on by autonomy. For instance, if a fully autonomous vehicle glitches and that ends in someoneā€™s death...then who is responsible? The programmer? The manufacturer? Or the driver? Then at some point, a person is literally going to have to program the car to kill. Look up the trolley problem and itā€™s implications in autonomous vehicles if youā€™d like to know more, but the short version is that someone will have to program the car to hit something when all options to avoid an incident will end in a collision.

One of the final pieces to the puzzle is the actual roadway system. Several of the systems use cameras to detect lane lines. The systems are useless when you enter a construction/repaired area where these lines are no longer present. These systems are also buggy when the lines begin to fade. This will lead to an increased cost for keeping the paint fresh. Speaking of construction, most current systems canā€™t operate at all in a construction site. Things like lane closures or traffic shifts are not easy to program a system to deal with. Currently, there is no reliable system that can handle these issues that is also cheap/small enough to include in a consumer product. One solution is a ā€œsmartā€ road. This sounds great, but it is also expensive and difficult to maintain. Normal methods of repairing roadways donā€™t always translate to something like this.

The final piece is security. With hackers already able to take over most systems and control aspects of the car...a fully autonomous system would have to have some tight security protocols. It may not be something to worry too much about now, but as technology grows and the more vehicles become connected, this will be a much more prevalent issue to contend with.

Now the good news! Yes...these systems reduce crashes and fatalities! The driver just needs to understand the limitations of their system and how it operates. Most states here in the US are already planning for this inevitable future. Legislators are already in talks on laws to protect people and DOTā€™s are already working with research institutions on how to design roads for autonomous and connected vehicles. Manufacturers are already working on beefier security and better driver assistance systems.

Can or will these advancements ever be stopped? Only when the next advancement comes along. Autonomy is something that we will all have to deal with on some level. We just are nowhere near fully autonomous vehicles being the norm.

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize for the super long response...this kind of thing is just something Iā€™m passionate about because I deal with it daily. Iā€™m not making any judgments on anyone or their driving habits...just putting out hopefully useful and enlightening information.

Keep on Jeeping!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I apologize for the super long response...this kind of thing is just something Iā€™m passionate about because I deal with it daily. Iā€™m not making any judgments on anyone or their driving habits...just putting out hopefully useful and enlightening information.

Keep on Jeeping!
I think you touched on one of the most important aspects of these systems and one the op failed to perform. You need to fully understand how these systems work before jumping in and using one.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Itā€™s adaptive cruise control, not full self driving. You shouldnā€™t be on your phone, you should be paying attention to the road. In an area with stop signs, your adaptive cruise control will follow the guy in front of you right through the intersection. Drive the car and let the ACC maintain following distance, but when it comes to fully stopping you should be aware of your surroundings.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Itā€™s adaptive cruise control, not full self driving. You shouldnā€™t be on your phone, you should be paying attention to the road. In an area with stop signs, your adaptive cruise control will follow the guy in front of you right through the intersection. Drive the car and let the ACC maintain following distance, but when it comes to fully stopping you should be aware of your surroundings.
Nobody is on their phone guy, calm down. Read thoroughly before responding.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Haha, man, he is upset. Apparently I am supposed to take the bus, even though I wasn't talking about me... he just can't keep up. There are stupid people out there, a lot of them. At least 72 million in the united states alone we recently learned.
Some people love to enforce their beliefs on other people rather than choose to agree that what they believe in is different than someone else and we can coexist. his posts seem to criticize those who do not believe in using ACC rather than just state that he thinks ACC is a good thing and respect the opinions of those who do not.

Your 72 Million comment is simply disrespectful to someone's political beliefs and I refuse to participate in that mud slinging as we as a nation are already divided enough. For now let us agree that you think ACC is superior and like using it while many of us do not like using it. Learn to coexist for once.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people love to enforce their beliefs on other people rather than choose to agree that what they believe in is different than someone else and we can coexist. his posts seem to criticize those who do not believe in using ACC rather than just state that he thinks ACC is a good thing and respect the opinions of those who do not.

Your 72 Million comment is simply disrespectful to someone's political beliefs and I refuse to participate in that mud slinging as we as a nation are already divided enough. For now let us agree that you think ACC is superior and like using it while many of us do not like using it. Learn to coexist for once.
ACC and automatic braking are two different things. ACC is an optional convenience feature, automatic braking is an optional safety feature that should probably be installed on every car going forward, it will stop a lot of accidents. Oh but I forgot, we can just tell people that cause accidents to take the bus. Problem solved!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.