Sponsored

Adaptive Cruise disables itself after stopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing that if your Jeep comes to a dead stop while you are looking at your phone (illegal in most states btw), and you don't look up to see why it stopped, you may have other issues...

I had a Rav4 that would come to a dead stop if someone got in a center turn lane (not even in my lane), I turned it off, couldn't stand it. I prefer to control my car instead of relying on technology (that mostly fails) to do what I should be doing myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK CRD, 1990 YJ, 1978 911SC, 2002 Land Cruiser, 2016 BMW i3
These threads always turn into "ain't no damn techNOlogy gonna do what I can do myself!" but the fact of the matter is traffic is worse then ever, will continue to trend in that direction, and the tech is here to stay... so it may as well work correctly. In 50 years the idea of manually operating a car at all will be a complete mind fuck.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
These threads always turn into "ain't no damn techNOlogy gonna do what I can do myself!" but the fact of the matter is traffic is worse then ever, will continue to trend in that direction, and the tech is here to stay... so it may as well work correctly. In 50 years the idea of manually operating a car at all will be a complete mind *!@&.
We'll deal with that in 50 years, for now I prefer to drive my ride...

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
These threads always turn into "ain't no damn techNOlogy gonna do what I can do myself!" but the fact of the matter is traffic is worse then ever, will continue to trend in that direction, and the tech is here to stay... so it may as well work correctly. In 50 years the idea of manually operating a car at all will be a complete mind fuck.
Ok. Make sure to give me a ride in your 100% automatic driving car some years from now, please? Until then I will keep my Jeep without an ACC as I don't want to look at my phone while driving which is illegal, reckless and plain fuckin idiotic.

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. Make sure to give me a ride in your 100% automatic driving car some years from now, please? Until then I will keep my Jeep without an ACC as I don't want to look at my phone while driving which is illegal, reckless and plain fuckin idiotic.
You'll note I didn't say that, somebody else did. I only look at anything when I am stopped, and I mean anything.

As far as self driving stuff, its about 75% here already. You can get honda sense in a 26k civic which will start. stop, and steer for you. It's not great, but the mercedes and tesla systems are pretty incredible. I haven't used GM Supercruise but I hear that is amazing as well, though restricted to highways.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll note I didn't say that, somebody else did. I only look at anything when I am stopped, and I mean anything.

As far as self driving stuff, its about 75% here already. You can get honda sense in a 26k civic which will start. stop, and steer for you. It's not great, but the mercedes and tesla systems are pretty incredible. I haven't used GM Supercruise but I hear that is amazing as well, though restricted to highways.
We are Jeepers man. In general, Wrangler owners tend to be some of the last to accept new technologies. For example: look at the engine choices. The Turbo 4 is a very good and fun engine but is a new technology for a Jeep. However, majority of those who custom order Jeeps still get the Naturally Aspirated Pentastar for their rigs. Check out the build sheets some people post. Majority is still using the Pentastar. However the Turbo 4 seems to be gaining ground as feedback on that engine is good. But adaptation rate amongst factory ordered Jeeps is still a little lower because it is "new" technology.

I know I could be jumping to the Turbo Bandwagon for my next Jeep.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I like the fact that when I see a Jeep on the roads, I know they have to pay attention in traffic and can't have their head buried in a book, oblivious to the world around them like I see with people in other car types.

I consider the Jeep's version a feature, not a downgrade and definitely not a malfunction.

But I'm not oblivious to the fact that all technology is dumbing people down in the future. If you've ever see WALL-E then you know what people are going to look like in the future becasue of tech like this :CWL: Seriously, pressing the brake pedal is practically the only exercise you can get while driving LOL

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the fact that when I see a Jeep on the roads, I know they have to pay attention in traffic and can't have their head buried in a book, oblivious to the world around them like I see with people in other car types.

I consider the Jeep's version a feature, not a downgrade and definitely not a malfunction.

But I'm not oblivious to the fact that all technology is dumbing people down in the future. If you've ever see WALL-E then you know what people are going to look like in the future becasue of tech like this :CWL: Seriously, pressing the brake pedal is practically the only exercise you can get while driving LOL
Just so you know, adaptive cruise control and particularly teslas autopilot systems stop a lot more accidents then they create. Example: "For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.64 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.”

People that look at their phones are going to do it anyway, so any system that stops them rear ending you will only improve accident rates.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just so you know, adaptive cruise control and particularly teslas autopilot systems stop a lot more accidents then they create. Example: "For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.64 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.”

People that look at their phones are going to do it anyway, so any system that stops them rear ending you will only improve accident rates.
So does that mean Elon Musk can smoke another blunt and then drive high because the Autopilot will save his ass?

Sponsored

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So does that mean Elon Musk can smoke another blunt and then drive high because the Autopilot will save his ass?
Like anything, there will obviously be idiots that exploit the systems to make their life easier but potentially yours less safe. But the vast majority of people will only benefit from added safety tech - both crashers and the crashee's - as they were already doing all the stupid shit that causes accidents.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
so it may as well work correctly.
The operation makes sense and it’s already been noted to you it is working correctly. I can’t believe you’re actually complaining about having to pay attention to the road when in traffic :facepalm:

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like anything, there will obviously be idiots that exploit the systems to make their life easier but potentially yours less safe. But the vast majority of people will only benefit from added safety tech - both crashers and the crashee's - as they were already doing all the stupid shit that causes accidents.
Yeaaaaaa........I think I am going to pass. I am more comfortable controlling what I drive myself. Hell I dont even remember the last time I used the regular cruise control in any car I drove, forget about the ACC. and I have been driving since I turned 18 in 2005.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeaaaaaa........I think I am going to pass. I am more comfortable controlling what I drive myself. Hell I dont even remember the last time I used the regular cruise control in any car I drove, forget about the ACC. and I have been driving since I turned 18 in 2005.
Right but what about that pothead you were just talking about driving his 1990 civic high? Would you rather him be in a car with automatic braking?

Status
Not open for further replies.